Bring Back the Hook Keeper!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No, I can promise you, it's about what people want. I know it seems weird, but especially on higher price point and saltwater rods, they are not wanted by a LOT of people.
If they liked the rod do you think having a hook keeper would be enough to deter the sale?

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
No, I can promise you, it's about what people want. I know it seems weird, but especially on higher price point and saltwater rods, they are not wanted by a LOT of people.
Agreed, none of my s.w. rods have them, but that goes back to the 90's.

Yet a lot of angler's dislike single foot guide which take fewer wraps, reduce foot prep and cut finishing time in half, but they can be found on all price level rods. Then there's the fewer trim band wraps that go along with many modern builds and a single heavier (glob) coat of epoxy. Single lug seats on rods that really could use a double lug. The painted and polished (to a gem like finish) blanks are vanishing, which took more time and labor than the cheesy looking Testors model paint jobs on many rods today..... Lots of cost saving moves, so I'm not so sure it's got much as much to do with customer desire as it does with cost control and margins. ;)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Agreed, none of my s.w. rods have them, but that goes back to the 90's.

Yet a lot of angler's dislike single foot guide which take fewer wraps, reduce foot prep and cut finishing time in half, but they can be found on all price level rods. Then there's the fewer trim band wraps that go along with many modern builds and a single heavier (glob) coat of epoxy. Single lug seats on rods that really could use a double lug. The painted and polished (to a gem like finish) blanks are vanishing, which took more time and labor than the cheesy looking Testors model paint jobs on many rods today..... Lots of cost saving moves, so I'm not so sure it's got much as much to do with customer desire as it does with cost control and margins. ;)
As an insider, I can tell you very confidently that a lack of hook keeper has nothing to do with margins.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Cool, but to the rest of the points? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I read a something on Blantons board last week that included input from some fly fishing notables, who are against single foot guides on rods and they seem to have some valid points. So where do you stand on them and the others mentioned here?

This is a more complicated answer. I'm out until Monday so will try to articulate it then when I can gather my thoughts.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Another reason for not wanting to use the guides as a HK: I use rod sleeves often to transport halved rods, and a fly up on a guide sometimes gets caught in the mesh.

Honestly, I'd prefer one like this, brought to you by the innovators at Maxcatch 😆
View attachment 23942
IMG_1296.jpg

The mesh rod sleeve works as a "hook keeper" transporting my carp rod to the lake...............I've grown fond of these rod sleeves, nice to have in my pram rather than two or three rod holders.........

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I rarely use my hook keeper because I prefer to keep all of my leader out. I loop my leader around the spool on my fly reel and back up to the first or second guide up from the handle.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
View attachment 24035

The mesh rod sleeve works as a "hook keeper" transporting my carp rod to the lake...............I've grown fond of these rod sleeves, nice to have in my pram rather than two or three rod holders.........
I've often wondered how advantageous those sleeves are. Thinking about grabbing a couple for similar reasons as you use yours.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've heard a lot of people complaining about them.
Honestly, why do people not like them? If you don't like it, don't use it? If you prefer to wrap your leader around your spool and up to the stripping guide, do that? I know there's a guy on another forum who's mission is to get them removed from all rods. I just don't get it 🤷‍♂️

They can be a pain in the ass for shooting line tactics. It's an absolute no go for a Spey rod. I use the reel foot and get by just fine. On a gear rod they are essential. On a fly rod I'd rather not have them.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Thanks to @Northern for the tip on these sleeves. Maybe not the cat's meow but close! ;-)

@clarkman
Pat's referring to this post

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I think with the heavier wt rods, people tend to fight big fish by positioning one of their hand above the cork for leverage and a hook keeper can ruin that experience.

Some of my rods have it and some don't, no biggie I would just stick the hook in the back of the cork or the lowest guide. Some rods have a space there next to the reel seat just for this purpose.