Bring Back the Hook Keeper!

RCF

Life of the Party
I prefer hook keepers but do not like the ones that are a ring that moves around. Rings frustrate me trying to put a hook in it.

ABITNF

Steelhead
I've never used a leader longer than 12 feet on a fly rod. Some of the small water I've fished, a leader the length you're talking about would put my presentation far fast the other bank. Are you doing this for highly pressured fish on wide slow flowing rivers ?
No. My fishing now is pretty much lakes and chironomids under indicators. I do fish shorter leaders on the beach but off the end of either a ten or 14 foot clear polyleader.

SebastianV

Freshly Spawned
The problem with the hook keeper is most leaders are longer than the rod. Once you hook your fly into the hook keeper and reel in the slack, the junction of the fly line and leader are now in your guides. When you get to a new spot you have to set your reel down and pull the line out the guides. It’s a pain in the butt and can actually lead to breaking the tip off a rod.
When moving to a new spot I leave 18 inches or so of fly line out the guide, take my fly and hook on one of the snake guide (the farthest one I can reach), take the slack line and pull it behind the reel foot, and reel in slack. When I get to a new spot, I pull a little line off the reel, unwrap the leader from behind the reel, hold my rod tip over the water, and give the rod a light karate chop. The fly, leader, and line are out in front of me and ready to start fishing.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The problem with the hook keeper is most leaders are longer than the rod. Once you hook your fly into the hook keeper and reel in the slack, the junction of the fly line and leader are now in your guides. When you get to a new spot you have to set your reel down and pull the line out the guides. It’s a pain in the butt and can actually lead to breaking the tip off a rod.
When moving to a new spot I leave 18 inches or so of fly line out the guide, take my fly and hook on one of the snake guide (the farthest one I can reach), take the slack line and pull it behind the reel foot, and reel in slack. When I get to a new spot, I pull a little line off the reel, unwrap the leader from behind the reel, hold my rod tip over the water, and give the rod a light karate chop. The fly, leader, and line are out in front of me and ready to start fishing.
I agree and also do this when fishing. It's when I go to store my rod in my two piece rod cases that I miss the hook keeper.
I know that I probably do it different than most others but I can stow a rod with two flies and not snag them in the lining of the rod case.
Probably just jinxed myself with that last statement.:ROFLMAO:

SebastianV

Freshly Spawned
Yup. Technique works great with 2 flies and a bobber, if you’re into that sort of thing.
A hook keep is like a wisdom tooth, it’s there but not useful and ends up fucking everything up so you remove it. Glad to see it getting bred out of fly rod DNA.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yup. Technique works great with 2 flies and a bobber, if you’re into that sort of thing.
So...if I hook just one fly in the hook keeper to store it in my rod case am I still a terrible person?:unsure::D

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
A hook keep is like a wisdom tooth, it’s there but not useful and ends up fucking everything up so you remove it. Glad to see it getting bred out of fly rod DNA.
Huh. 20+ years with 20+ rods and I've never once had a hook keeper fuck everything up. Or, really, cause any kind of negative anything at all. In fact, I've often found them convenient. Weird.
Must be doing this fly fishing thing wrong!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Most leaders aren’t longer then the rod in my fishing world….
SF

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
We gotta get you fishing midges deep with a floating line, a 25-foot long leader and, of course, a quick release bobber.

Oh, I’ve done that. Just not much lately.
Most the time I’m using a 7’ or less leader where I like to fish. I think most people I see fishing are doing the same.
I like having a hook keeper as well.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Oh, I’ve done that. Just not much lately.
Most the time I’m using a 7’ or less leader where I like to fish. I think most people I see fishing are doing the same.
I like having a hook keeper as well.
SF
Brian - If I still lived in Port Orchard, with access to the Sound and Canal, my leaders wouldn't be much different from yours. The few times I do get over to Hood Canal, I'm using leaders shorter than my fly rod.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've always been in the pro hook keeper camp, but since so many rods are made without them these days I've gotten used to not having one and rarely use it even on rods that have it.

I haven't fished a leader long enough to end up inside the guides in many years, and even when I did consistently fish longer leaders I never saw any issue using the keeper.

These days the rods I use consistently live rigged up on storage racks inside two rod lockers on my boat. For years now I just stick the hook into the cork on the bottom of the fighting butt. I suppose this damagea the cork a bit but I don't give two shits. My rods are tools and nothing more and I use them hard.

I used to just hang the hook on the first stripping guide but this often puts the leader connection inside the guides. Doesn't bother me in terms of messing up the leader but I much prefer the leader connection out of the guides at all times specifically to make it faster when I see something and need to grab a rod, strip out some line, and fire off a cast quickly. If the leader connection is inside the guides that's often just an extra second or few required to be in a position to cast.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Living in an era in which complaining has become a national pastime no minutia is too trivial to escape the wrath of the offended. Somehow the innocuous little hook holder, originally designed to aid the angler and make things a bit easier, has become a villain in the plot and garnered the anger and contempt of those so infuriated by it's presence.

C'mon guys-certainly we can find something even more microscopic than a hook holder to vent our rage on! We can't let the innocent hook holder become the epitome of our frustrations....