Bring Back the Hook Keeper!

ABITNF

Steelhead
I just took my new Echo EPR from the tube to line up for some bucktailing and see that yet again there's no keeper provided. This is now getting to be the norm with rod companies. Why is one more half inch wrap and a piece of bent wire so much to ask for?

Bagman

Steelhead
I just took my new Echo EPR from the tube to line up for some bucktailing and see that yet again there's no keeper provided. This is now getting to be the norm with rod companies. Why is one more half inch wrap and a piece of bent wire so much to ask for?
At least on the old Sage made rods the hook keeper is on the reel seat on both sides of the front slot for reel foot.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think at first I was OK with it, but now I just find it annoying. Two Orvis, Two Echo, no hook keepers. I've been using the support to the stripping guide. Is that bad?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've heard a lot of people complaining about them.
Honestly, why do people not like them? If you don't like it, don't use it? If you prefer to wrap your leader around your spool and up to the stripping guide, do that? I know there's a guy on another forum who's mission is to get them removed from all rods. I just don't get it 🤷‍♂️

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've always found hookkeepers to be superfluous. With a 9' leader, using a hookkeeper means putting a 180 degree bend in the stiff butt section of my leader. I don't like to reel my leader inside the tip top, so I have always hooked my fly one guide up from the stripper so that the thin and supple part of my leader or tippet bends around the reel. If the hookkeeper is so important to you, why not add one yourself? It ain't rocket science.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've always found hookkeepers to be superfluous. With a 9' leader, using a hookkeeper means putting a 180 degree bend in the stiff butt section of my leader. I don't like to reel my leader inside the tip top, so I have always hooked my fly one guide up from the stripper so that the thin and supple part of my leader or tippet bends around the reel. If the hookkeeper is so important to you, why not add one yourself? It ain't rocket science.

This makes complete sense. I just generally didn't understand why people hated them so much. I have rods with and without and don't have a preference. But unconsciously always hated my leader being reeled inside my tip top. Maybe I'm not in the camp of hating hook keeps, ha!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
For most of my fishing, I don't utilize the hook keeper (and I sure as heck don't on any of my Echo hook keeperless rods), similar to Mr. Sg (Hi, Steve), I wrap the leader around the reel and hook the fly to one of the guides. That works pretty well except for one old Orvis reel, it always eats my leader so I have to pop the spool off. Damn thing.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I wrap the leader around the reel and hook the fly to one of the guides. That works pretty well except for one old Orvis reel, it always eats my leader so I have to pop the spool off. Damn thing.
Yes! I do the same, and have to remember to go around the non-handle side of several reels (A Lamson seems to suck them in).

candr

Steelhead
I'm in the no hook keeper camp. Just had a 10 wt and a 3 wt built out last month. I was looking for a minimalist clean look - clear silk wraps, no trim, also no hook keepers on either rod. I never use them and don't like what they do to my leaders so I left them off.
Rod.jpg

SSPey

loco alto!
Most high quality rods meant for bigger flies and bigger fish, say 7 wt and up, haven’t used hook keepers for as long as I can remember. As it should be.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I don't see why a piece of bent wire to hold a hook gets peoples panties in a bunch. I tend to keep my rods rigged in the summer time. So I'm ready to get to it when I arrive at the Skinny water. That bend on the leader butt will work out after a few casts and getting wet. I just hook my hook to the keeper. It's just a simple thing to do in fly fishing.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
With Old Man and others on this; If you need to add one , Cabelas sells them, as well as Sportco/ Outdoor emporium. Totally a personal preference.

GLC

Smolt
My Titan Rod Vault (now Thule Rod Vault) doesn't like hook keepers either. The hook keepers on all my rods are on the underside in line with the reel seat. As designed while stored in the rod vault, the weight of the rod and reel is carried by the hook keeper, until it fails. My solution has been to encompass the rods with a pool noodle prior to placing the rods into the vault.

The Winston and T&T rod builders must have wondered how in the hell is this guy tearing up the hook keeper so badly, when I've sent them in for other repairs. But, as always, they graciously repaired them without asking and sent them back without questions.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I like hook keepers. All my rods have them and I use them. I don't understand why a piece of wire and some wraps is such a big deal, to manufacturers or people that don't use them.

Then again, I don't understand why anyone would use streamers. Might as well just cast lures on a gear rod. Some people are just broken, I guess.

Last edited: