Bass on the fly advice...

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I still have not got the muddler down yet! Yes, I think that when the new vice comes I'll be able to a bit more and expand my skills. I realized just using the backup vice how I'd been basing my tying on the vise hook holding ability. Thanks for the encouragement.
Scraggly looking mice look fine.
Also after spinning the deer hair when trimming the belly one can leave a small tag of hair in front of the hook point
long enough to be slightly below the hook point.
It functions well as a weed guard and easily collapses when a biggun' chomps your mouse.

Last edited:

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey Tom Butler,

If you get some time check out the "Tightlines Video Series" on spinning hair. His video on tying a Goddard Caddis would transition well to your Muddler Minnow Tying. Tim Flagler ( I think is the correct spelling, forgive me Tim if I am wrong) shows a super simple way to spin hair, incorporating super glue.

Have fun.

Bob

cody-

Steelhead
You all have me intrigued with all this glass talk and I'm thinking about picking up a 7wt Echo BAG for my dedicated bass rod. Question is, what do I pair it with? SA bass bug or do I need an even more specialized line for bass + fiberglass?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You all have me intrigued with all this glass talk and I'm thinking about picking up a 7wt Echo BAG for my dedicated bass rod. Question is, what do I pair it with? SA bass bug or do I need an even more specialized line for bass + fiberglass?
FWIW, I've got a 7wt BAG and ordered the SA bass line in 7wt. We'll see how that shakes out. Line isn't here yet.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
For you western WA bass anglers, is now to early to be fishing bass with any hope of success?

I am fishing tomorrow and debating a split SRC//bass lake/trout lake situation.

I have never purposely targeted bass with a fly rod and have just a little conventional gear experience. Essentially, I have no idea what I’m doing but have a growing interest in stillwater fishing and a love catching anything I can on a fly rod. Bass seem like a logical next step.

Not my fly. Tied by a fellow out of Iceland named Dagur Gudmundsson.
Pretty darn innovative. Like a fly Alabama rig.
He says it is light enough to cast on a 6 wt.
SF

View attachment 2101

Funny, was just wondering if an umbrella rig could be done fly wise after watching some bass videos recently. I was thinking coho but will definitely be trying this for bass too.

Double hauling something like this from the beach for 6 hours straight seems like a recipe for a bum shoulder and another broken rod. From a boat though…..hmmm.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
For you western WA bass anglers, is now to early to be fishing bass with any hope of success?

I have never purposely targeted bass with a fly rod and have just a little conventional gear experience. Essentially, I have no idea what I’m doing but have a growing interest in stillwater fishing and a love catching anything I can on a fly rod. Bass seem like a logical next step.

Funny, was just wondering if an umbrella rig could be done fly wise after watching some bass videos recently. I was thinking coho but will definitely be trying this for bass too.

Double hauling something like this from the beach for 6 hours straight seems like a recipe for a bum shoulder and another broken rod. From a boat though…..hmmm.
I think now is the beginning of the prime window. I've been fishing expecting success, and years past have had significant success in late march and early april. Nothing doing this year, but it should be happening!

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cody,

You can keep it simple. I used a SA or Cortland, DT 6 Floating line for Bass, Trout and even Steelhead from about 1981 until 1991. Switched this between my old Fenwick 6 Wt and my Dads self made Fiberglass 6 Wt Rod. Worked just fine. If however your planning on mostly throwing big, air resistant Bass Bugs, you may want a WF or Bass Bug Taper Line.

Have fun.

Bob

Chris Johnson

Steelhead

Buddy of mine got one a couple weeks ago on a balanced leach.

WonderBrad

Steelhead
I've done well with the sloooow strip Olive/Orange Crayfish, the Wiggler ( above and below) and now testing the floating "smacker" on a sinking line...dives on the retrieve floats up on the pause...

Experiment!

Attachments

• Brad'sCrayfish.jpg
    Brad'sCrayfish.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Wiggler.JPG
    Wiggler.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Smackers.JPG
    Smackers.JPG
    856.6 KB · Views: 24
  • MoneyShot.JPG
    MoneyShot.JPG
    816.3 KB · Views: 24

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Things should be heating up with more fish being caught, some even on topwater.

As far as fly lines go folks should make a second thought about the SA Bass Bug line because it's coating is formulated for hotter climates than our over all pretty mild Temps in W. WA. The SA Titan taper, or Orvis bankshot would be the better choice.

I'll be out for smallies this weekend.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Things should be heating up with more fish being caught, some even on topwater.

As far as fly lines go folks should make a second thought about the SA Bass Bug line because it's coating is formulated for hotter climates than our over all pretty mild Temps in W. WA. The SA Titan taper, or Orvis bankshot would be the better choice.

I'll be out for smallies this weekend.
Hmmmm, how much do you think that will matter in reality? I ordered the Bass Bug line not too long ago from my local shop.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmmmm, how much do you think that will matter in reality? I ordered the Bass Bug line not too long ago from my local shop.
Warm summer days it probably won't matter much, cooler spring days it could feel stiff with some coiling. This is just my speculation. I'd be interested in hearing how it works for you if you decide to keep the line.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The bass bug line may be a little coily in colder temps but in warmer temps it’s great. The titan long is a good and very similar taper line. Just depends on what weather you’re fishing in - if it will be hot or humid the bass bug is it. If cooler then titan long is good.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Warm summer days it probably won't matter much, cooler spring days it could feel stiff with some coiling.
The bass bug line may be a little coily in colder temps but in warmer temps it’s great.
I mean, how warm and cold are we talking about? And air or water temps. It's not like many lake waters around here ever get balmy even in our summer weather.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can’t really remember an exact air temp. Approximating, I’d guess in the lower70s/upper60s is fine. Many times my issue with coiling would be earlier in the day then it would be fine later. As the sun came out. I often fish that line until I’m done with topwaters and then throw on a titan long if I still want a floater (or for big streamer work through the late fall-spring)

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I mean, how warm and cold are we talking about? And air or water temps. It's not like many lake waters around here ever get balmy even in our summer weather.
I talked to a SA rep about bass bug vs the Titan Long and they said "Yes, taper/weight is exactly the same. The Titan Long uses a cold water core and coating while the Bass Bug uses a tropical coating over a cold water core. The construction of the Bass Bug is meant to cover the typically warmer temps bass live in."

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I talked to a SA rep about bass bug vs the Titan Long and they said "Yes, taper/weight is exactly the same. The Titan Long uses a cold water core and coating while the Bass Bug uses a tropical coating over a cold water core. The construction of the Bass Bug is meant to cover the typically warmer temps bass live in."
Good info. But...what does "warm bass water" mean to SA? I feel like it means TX more than WA.