Bass on the fly advice...

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I actually prefer my old Cortland 444SL Rocket taper WF8F over the WF7F Titan Taper on my 7wt. Kinda funny since the Titan is a higher end line and my box says it was $84.99. I didn't pay that much for it, but I'm pretty sure I bought the Rocket taper, years ago, brand new for only $50.

And my "new to me" Fenwick Aetos 8wt did really well with the WF8F Rocket taper last night as well. I was casting plenty far enough for bass popper work. And much more enjoyable than the Titan. And way more accurate, which is really important for westside bass- shoreline, trees, lily pads and docks are a constant. Titan taper is very forward heavy. I found that a bit clumsy and not accurate enough for most popper work. Almost like it needs a poly leader since such a steep front taper.

It was the maiden voyage for the Aetos last night. I have a 1st gen 4wt Aetos and love it so pulled the trigger on a 1st gen 8wt that I found for sale. The 2nd gens are only $235 so also a great, great deal, but I saved enough for a new line.
The 8wt did not disappoint. The only trouble is now my 7wt Redington Pursuit feels tip heavy....mostly because it is. :LOL: I'll keep it around, but will make sure I don't cast it right after casting the Aetos. It was also more accurate than the Pursuit, which is also to be expected.
First fish for the new 8wt was this healthy little pounder.
View attachment 15400
I was actually really close to getting the SA Air Cell in 9wt for my 7wt rod for a $30 line trial. Maybe next time. Found a good deal on a Titan Long today.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was actually really close to getting the SA Air Cell in 9wt for my 7wt rod for a $30 line trial. Maybe next time. Found a good deal on a Titan Long today.
I have heard the AirCell Bass line is decent. A little stretchy, but that is for "tippet protection" right?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That Titan Long should be much more enjoyable than a regular Titan. Let us know how it does!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have heard the AirCell Bass line is decent. A little stretchy, but that is for "tippet protection" right?
I was wondering about that line. I mean, $30 is a steal in fly lines these days if it's decent.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was wondering about that line. I mean, $30 is a steal in fly lines these days if it's decent.
Totally! However, I wouldn't pair it with a glass rod. Too much flex and stretch could make positive hooksets hard. Thats only anecdotal, I don't have any first hand experience.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Totally! However, I wouldn't pair it with a glass rod. Too much flex and stretch could make positive hooksets hard. Thats only anecdotal, I don't have any first hand experience.
We'll, if you're strip setting like you're supposed to, the rod shouldn't bend much at all. 😂

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
We'll, if you're strip setting like you're supposed to, the rod shouldn't bend much at all. 😂
I don't really strip set with topwater. My theory is you can't strip set enough line at distance for a good hook set with the dynamics of a pop and pause retrieve....

If you move the rod from pointing at the popper to almost straight up during a blow up you pick up several feet or more of line at a time. A stout rod, no stretch line and a sharp hook ensures you drive the hook home.

Just to respectfully present a different opinion.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Just skimming through this,and stopped on page 3 because a wild thought hit me: what if Leylands Beach Popper were adapted to fish for bass?? From what i've read, its pretty effective on more than just the original target species
Been messing around with one for smallies, havent put it together yet but its gonna work. Too fishy to not

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I don't really strip set with topwater. My theory is you can't strip set enough line at distance for a good hook set with the dynamics of a pop and pause retrieve....

If you move the rod from pointing at the popper to almost straight up during a blow up you pick up several feet or more of line at a time. A stout rod, no stretch line and a sharp hook ensures you drive the hook home.

My hooksetting is informed by throwing collapsible frogs on gear, where I always tried to reel down when I see the blowup and set hard when I feel its weight. The idea being not to pull it out of the mouth and if it missed it, to not yank it away from the area. Hold tight for the second hit.

If I'm reading you right, you're swinging on the blowup. Is that correct? I've been doing a big 3-4ft strip on the blowup to take up slack and setting if I feel the weight.

I kinda look at poppers as they either got the hook or didn't, and leave it there if they didn't like it got stunned. But now I'm wondering if I wouldnt connect more with a harder set.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I picked up a SA Air Cel standard WFF in 9 weight a while back to pair with my good ol' 8 weight TFO Lefty Kreh Pro rod. I used it to satisfaction with short, thick leaders and poppers for small bass in SC last May and roped many pinks with it last summer using a longer, sometimes finer leader and small weighted flies . I have no complaints whatsoever with that line. Worth $30.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Billy,
You ever use a two handed retrieve, especially when you are fishing off the metal flake bass ship?
SF

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
My hooksetting is informed by throwing collapsible frogs on gear, where I always tried to reel down when I see the blowup and set hard when I feel its weight. The idea being not to pull it out of the mouth and if it missed it, to not yank it away from the area. Hold tight for the second hit.

If I'm reading you right, you're swinging on the blowup. Is that correct? I've been doing a big 3-4ft strip on the blowup to take up slack and setting if I feel the weight.

I kinda look at poppers as they either got the hook or didn't, and leave it there if they didn't like it got stunned. But now I'm wondering if I wouldnt connect more with a harder seset.
Sometimes I swing right away and sometimes I give them a pause as I strip line and then swing. It just depends.

The nature of blowups no matter what you will miss some. This year I've been making a conscious effort to try to give them the pause and I've had very high hook up percent.
Billy,
You ever use a two handed retrieve, especially when you are fishing off the metal flake bass ship?
SF
No because I can't make a strong pop sound with it.