Bass on the fly advice...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, the past few years I've been spending my spring/summer "pre-anadromous" fishing time on the lakes looking for bass a lot more than I ever have. It's been a blast. I love taking the tube out to some little local pond after work and catching ditch pickles (and panfish) while enjoying a beer as the sun sets.

But I admit, I've been going after them with gear. I've never been much of a stillwater fly angler. I just don't have the patience. So it's been mostly senkos, ned rigs, swimbaits, etc for bass. While I've caught a few using poppers on the fly rod, particularly while fishing for bluegill, that's about it. But comments from @Billy @Irafly @Squatchin and a few others here has made me want to put more effort into catching them on the fly.

So, help me get some knowledge. I've got both smallies and largemouth up here in our lakes. I doubt I've caught anything much over 3-3.5 and most of them are in the 1-2.5 range. But the hawgs are out there.

1. Rod weight? I have 5/6/8 as options.
2. Line? Based on this thread, sounds like the SA Bass Bug line is the way to go?
3. Flies? Poppers I've got. Other than that, I'm assuming just big leechy streamer stuff? Does anyone use jig type flies?
4. Technique? Do you really just wait forever to get flies down to the right depth? Do people use sinking lines for bass? I admit that I don't love single hand casting sinking lines.

Thanks!

IMG_3335.jpg

SELFIE TIME: Little bass on a beauty day in the tube. No, not on a fly rod.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, the past few years I've been spending my spring/summer "pre-anadromous" fishing time on the lakes looking for bass a lot more than I ever have. It's been a blast. I love taking the tube out to some little local pond after work and catching ditch pickles (and panfish) while enjoying a beer as the sun sets.

But I admit, I've been going after them with gear. I've never been much of a stillwater fly angler. I just don't have the patience. So it's been mostly senkos, ned rigs, swimbaits, etc for bass. While I've caught a few using poppers on the fly rod, particularly while fishing for bluegill, that's about it. But comments from @Billy @Irafly @Squatchin and a few others here has made me want to put more effort into catching them on the fly.

So, help me get some knowledge. I've got both smallies and largemouth up here in our lakes. I doubt I've caught anything much over 3-3.5 and most of them are in the 1-2.5 range. But the hawgs are out there.

1. Rod weight? I have 5/6/8 as options.
2. Line? Based on this thread, sounds like the SA Bass Bug line is the way to go?
3. Flies? Poppers I've got. Other than that, I'm assuming just big leechy streamer stuff? Does anyone use jig type flies?
4. Technique? Do you really just wait forever to get flies down to the right depth? Do people use sinking lines for bass? I admit that I don't love single hand casting sinking lines.

Thanks!

View attachment 2049

SELFIE TIME: Little bass on a beauty day in the tube. No, not on a fly rod.

I can't offer you advice in terms of Bass as this will be my first year targeting, but in terms of single hand casting sinking lines, you should check out Airflo's Streamer Max Short. It's pretty enjoyable to cast all things considered.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A couple things that have worked really well for me in regards to topwater patterns.
1. When your fly hits the water, don’t start to immediately strip. Just let it sit there at least until the rings cause by it plopping on the water dissipate. Sometimes I’ll wait as long as a minute or two. It can be painstaking, but bass will hit it while it is just sitting there. Sometimes that first strip or twitch after the pause will is golden as well. I have to think they are just sitting under it eyeballing your pattern when that happens.
2. When or if fishing in bright light, concentrate on the shade side of structure such as docks, trees, boats etc.
SF

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I absolutely love bass and panfish on the fly. I've found that while a lot of guys target bass with big bugs and poppers and steamers, big fish can totally be caught on smaller presentations. Specifically in western wa, I feel like bass of all sizes are required to feed on what is available and easy, as opposed to being able to key in on optimal forage.

I try to throw flies that will attract a bass but can be eaten by large bluegill. Small dark buggers with a little flash work basically year round. Makes for a constant action, and if you're just looking for giggles it's hard to beat. I really loved this article and try to incorporate these principles into the flies I choose.

The pretty lady in the picture below took this on a little black bugger

Attachments

• 20200604_113536.jpg
    20200604_113536.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 64

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
I absolutely love bass and panfish on the fly. I've found that while a lot of guys target bass with big bugs and poppers and steamers, big fish can totally be caught on smaller presentations. Specifically in western wa, I feel like bass of all sizes are required to feed on what is available and easy, as opposed to being able to key in on optimal forage.

I try to throw flies that will attract a bass but can be eaten by large bluegill. Small dark buggers with a little flash work basically year round. Makes for a constant action, and if you're just looking for giggles it's hard to beat. I really loved this article and try to incorporate these principles into the flies I choose.

The pretty lady in the picture below took this on a little black bugg
What size bugger?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Hey Josh,
I like SA Titan floaters and SA Sonar Seamless Density for sinking lines. I actually think those SA SDs cast very similarly to a standard WF floater.
So, if they're not in a topwater mood: For near-structure LM stuff I usually stick with a floater and weighted flies. Yes, lots of jiggy stuff, but not super heavy - LM seem to like slow sinking food, and often take on the drop. Try to keep a straight line connection as its falling so you can feel if it stops. A similar approach for smallies along steep dropoffs/cliff faces, but with a heavy sinking line to get it all the way down.
I've also had good luck with basic minnow patterns, like a thunder creek, zipping alongside docks.
20220202_121241.jpg

Billy-style gloaters are hard to beat!
20220202_121441.jpg
20220202_121348.jpg
Similar, but double tailed (clawed) in craw colors
20220202_122041.jpg20220202_121901.jpg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Hey Josh,
I like SA Titan floaters and SA Sonar Seamless Density for sinking lines. I actually think those SA SDs cast very similarly to a standard WF floater.
So, if they're not in a topwater mood: For near-structure LM stuff I usually stick with a floater and weighted flies. Yes, lots of jiggy stuff, but not super heavy - LM seem to like slow sinking food, and often take on the drop. Try to keep a straight line connection as its falling so you can feel if it stops. A similar approach for smallies along steep dropoffs/cliff faces, but with a heavy sinking line to get it all the way down.
I've also had good luck with basic minnow patterns, like a thunder creek, zipping alongside docks.
View attachment 2070

Billy-style gloaters are hard to beat!
View attachment 2071
View attachment 2072
Similar, but double tailed (clawed) in craw colors
View attachment 2073View attachment 2074
When you're subsurface w/ the 'jiggy stuff' do you like your leader long enough for the fly to get to the bottom, or are you keeping it shorter and suspension jigging it back? I prefer the former, but curious how you roll. After seeing some of the success folks are having with float n fly method makes me wonder if I need to shorten up!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
When you're subsurface w/ the 'jiggy stuff' do you like your leader long enough for the fly to get to the bottom, or are you keeping it shorter and suspension jigging it back? I prefer the former, but curious how you roll. After seeing some of the success folks are having with float n fly method makes me wonder if I need to shorten up!
Well, jiggy flies on long leaders are pretty unpleasant to cast. I'm only using a floating line in relatively shallow water, like 8' or less, so maybe 6-8' leaders and let it pull the line tip under. If nothing on the drop, hop it back along the bottom. That said, I've also caught smallies jigging/trolling mid column along dropoffs. I'm not sure what they think a craw is doing mid column, but clearly they don't care.

dpenrod

Smolt
With a floating line, I'll use a heavy, shorter tapered leader usually 6'. Normally throwing a sink tip line with weighted flies on a 4' piece of straight mono usually 10lb. test. Works well. One of my favorite flies is Pat Ehler's Grim Reaper. I tie a scaled down version I can throw on a 6wt.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I took my kid to school yesterday, I was scouting this spot along the river where I can take my little vintage dual sport Honda XL250 down along the train tracks to what looks like some good rip rap structure. Excited for that hot summer evening at sunset! One caveat, I may legitimately need to bring some bear spray for "safety"

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
With a floating line, I'll use a heavy, shorter tapered leader usually 6'. Normally throwing a sink tip line with weighted flies on a 4' piece of straight mono usually 10lb. test. Works well. One of my favorite flies is Pat Ehler's Grim Reaper. I tie a scaled down version I can throw on a 6wt.
Nice. Love the Grim Reaper. Never thought of scaling it down, I'll have to give that a try. The rootbeer colored one has been my goto for 'the jiggy stuff' when poppers aren't working.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I'll speak to what has worked along the Columbia for me.
Deer hair poppers are number 1. I have used various foam poppers too but deer hair SEEMS to pull the bigger strikes.
Subsurface I have done best with closer minnows. Chart and white.

My thought has always been don't match the hatch... match the bass lures..

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I'll speak to what has worked along the Columbia for me.
Deer hair poppers are number 1. I have used various foam poppers too but deer hair SEEMS to pull the bigger strikes.
Subsurface I have done best with closer minnows. Chart and white.

My thought has always been don't match the hatch... match the bass lures..
In my younger years I always did well with smallmouths on the Snake using a mepps, guess I need to tie one up!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
You can learn a lot about catching bass by watching the weekend bass fishing shows. Sometimes they even use fly gear when catching LMB. However, I can't really match the spinning lures they are using, but they do give me color ideas, and they do tell me how to look for bass and how to fish for them when I find them.

When the bass are taking a spin fishing surface lure there is absolutely no reason the fish won't also take a top water fly angling pattern so the gear isn't the thing. But they go into analyzing the time of day, the light conditions, the water temps and clarity, etc. etc. You will need to convert that information to fly fishing but the tendency of the bass for specific situations remains the same.

I once read that bass are the most studied game fish in the US so we may as well tap into what those studies have revealed. And a lot of useful information is revealed during the bass fishing TV shows.