Bass on the fly advice...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll speak to what has worked along the Columbia for me.
Deer hair poppers are number 1. I have used various foam poppers too but deer hair SEEMS to pull the bigger strikes.
Subsurface I have done best with closer minnows. Chart and white.

My thought has always been don't match the hatch... match the bass lures..
Chartreuse is a good color for the Snake too. My son fishes that curly tail grub behind me after I fished a fly, that's why I know I don't know what I'm doing, yet.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not my fly. Tied by a fellow out of Iceland named Dagur Gudmundsson.
Pretty darn innovative. Like a fly Alabama rig.
He says it is light enough to cast on a 6 wt.
SF

B6068E12-E494-439D-9902-8998B7A06E95.jpeg

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Imitating the flash and vibration with a fly is the most difficult. And even if we could, good luck getting the lure to perform properly with a fly reel. There are some presentations we can not mimic with fly gear. But there are plenty we can. Top water is the most obvious and probably the reason I catch 80% of my large mouth bass on the surface.

Smallmouth are actually more like a trout in what they'll take so if you can find the location of the smallies, you can usually use trout patterns to fool them. A Madam X trout dry fly can work wonders to catch smallmouth bass. And of course, trout streamers also work for smallmouth.

But large mouth take a little more thought .... and heavier gear because you normally are going to be tossing heavier offerings. I'm building larger and larger surface poppers so I've had to up the size of the rod I use, the bass taper line and the size of the leader material. I wouldn't worry about using overly large patterns when you're first bass fishing. I caught my first LMB with a floating Muddler Minnow and that was with a simple weight forward line and a trout rod and reel.

Your best teacher won't be what you glean here or even in books, videos and TV shows. You will learn the most by simply going out and fishing ... then thinking what you could be doing differently to help entice a predatory fish.

The hardest part to all this is finding the bass and at what depth they are holding. That's where a depth/fish finder is a huge asset and something you should think about buying if you really get into bass fishing.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The worst thing you can do is buy a bass boat. It absolutely destroys you for any other type of still water fishing. It makes everything more efficient. This of course is when Billy posts pictures from his Kayak and destroys my argument. :)

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
So, the past few years I've been spending my spring/summer "pre-anadromous" fishing time on the lakes looking for bass a lot more than I ever have. It's been a blast. I love taking the tube out to some little local pond after work and catching ditch pickles (and panfish) while enjoying a beer as the sun sets.

But I admit, I've been going after them with gear. I've never been much of a stillwater fly angler. I just don't have the patience. So it's been mostly senkos, ned rigs, swimbaits, etc for bass. While I've caught a few using poppers on the fly rod, particularly while fishing for bluegill, that's about it. But comments from @Billy @Irafly @Squatchin and a few others here has made me want to put more effort into catching them on the fly.

So, help me get some knowledge. I've got both smallies and largemouth up here in our lakes. I doubt I've caught anything much over 3-3.5 and most of them are in the 1-2.5 range. But the hawgs are out there.

1. Rod weight? I have 5/6/8 as options.
2. Line? Based on this thread, sounds like the SA Bass Bug line is the way to go?
3. Flies? Poppers I've got. Other than that, I'm assuming just big leechy streamer stuff? Does anyone use jig type flies?
4. Technique? Do you really just wait forever to get flies down to the right depth? Do people use sinking lines for bass? I admit that I don't love single hand casting sinking lines.

Thanks!

View attachment 2049

SELFIE TIME: Little bass on a beauty day in the tube. No, not on a fly rod.
Smart man tethering your phone.

I was hitting some in WA lakes but crossing paths more out here in Ohio, to the extent that I'll target them at times. Definitely similarities with trout as far as list of bait and rigging choices. I'm lazy and simplistic so I don't bother changing anything from my trout setup - same rod/line/leader/fly, 5wt full sink etc.

These were hit in May rain and Novmber cold, pitching leeches to shore each time.

7E72F79B-6573-4FA1-A6A8-B4688F559D61.jpeg1FB85D03-4E1D-4333-8EDF-B3A3FF3BE2B7.jpeg51C56C81-7022-4B8A-832C-21CCE8E85959.jpeg

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
All these LMB photos has reminded me to build some more mouse patterns. I want to make a few minor changes and now is the time to work on them before the weather warms enough that I can fish for those big mouth bass.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You will get a lot better advice here than mine, but my experience has been that a floating line, medium leader and a 3-4" chart/white clouser does just as well as all the crazy stuff out there 90% of the time. That and a couple poppers for dusk and you are in the game. Don't overthink it at first.

The more important question is beer management, because you can't drink fancy beer and cheap beer sucks if it gets warm. Keeping Rainiers cold in a float tube is a challenge unto itself...

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I got some popper's from cortland with my last order and a couple mice from big y. Really looking forward to giving it a solid go this year. Got to stat somewhere.

20220202_160300.jpg

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
You will get a lot better advice here than mine, but my experience has been that a floating line, medium leader and a 3-4" chart/white clouser does just as well as all the crazy stuff out there 90% of the time. That and a couple poppers for dusk and you are in the game. Don't overthink it at first.

The more important question is beer management, because you can't drink fancy beer and cheap beer sucks if it gets warm. Keeping Rainiers cold in a float tube is a challenge unto itself...
Oh definitely, but I get a kick out of tying weird bass flies, if only to see what I can get them to eat!
Mutant Morish Mouse
20220202_160901.jpg
20220202_160956.jpg
(And I tend to keep my beer management systems shore-based 🍻)

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Josh think about trying a 8wt glass rod, doesn't have to be anything expensive. It have the guts to yank in a hog but smaller fish have a chance to really show their stuff. Plus the slower action of a glass rod just sits well with a lazy Summer evening bassin.
My go-to tippet is 15lb fluorocarbon. Turns over the flies well, helps get flies back from weeds, and better landing rates especially after a nice strong strip set and a couple hook setting yanks to really drive the point in bigger fish.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
@Josh think about trying a 8wt glass rod, doesn't have to be anything expensive.
Hmmm. Biggest glass I have is a 6wt Echo BAG. I guess it wouldn't be TERRIBLE to convince myself to get an 8...

That said, isn't it weird trying to throw heavy flies on a glass rod? I guess the 8wt aspect would help.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmmm. Biggest glass I have is a 6wt Echo BAG. I guess it wouldn't be TERRIBLE to convince myself to get an 8...

That said, isn't it weird trying to throw heavy flies on a glass rod? I guess the 8wt aspect would help.
Echo BAG would be a good one. I like that it is a little bit longer than most glass rods.

I actually prefer big flies on glass. It seems to absorb the shock more. Ymmv

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I got some popper's from cortland with my last order and a couple mice from big y. Really looking forward to giving it a solid go this year. Got to stat somewhere.

View attachment 2130

Tom, you could easily tie a good moorish mouse! Fly fish food has a good video on it. Minimal materials, elk I think, foam and a zonker strip

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

10 barrell’s Pub Beer is a fantastic middle ground!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Tom, you could easily tie a good moorish mouse! Fly fish food has a good video on it. Minimal materials, elk I think, foam and a zonker strip
I still have not got the muddler down yet! Yes, I think that when the new vice comes I'll be able to a bit more and expand my skills. I realized just using the backup vice how I'd been basing my tying on the vise hook holding ability. Thanks for the encouragement.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Could also look at the Moonlit Lunar S-Glass 8wt. at 8'6 it's a tempting choice at a good price. I may even snatch one up.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The past couple years, my best bass bugs for smallmouth have been tiny things tied up on jig fly hooks with a tungsten head. My coworker ties these up for me. I slow strip them on a fast intermediate or type 3 in the areas I fish them.
1643914073256.png