Floating line for bass bugs?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What's ya'lls favorite floating line for poppers?
Looking to maybe throw some small-ish poppers on my 7wt (GLoomis IMX-Pro 790) this summer?
Was also thinking how throwing a Dungeon or D&D would be with a floater and fishing the film.
With all this being said, I've never fished for bass, just planning.

Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
What's ya'lls favorite floating line for poppers?
Looking to maybe throw some small-ish poppers on my 7wt (GLoomis IMX-Pro 790) this summer?
Was also thinking how throwing a Dungeon or D&D would be with a floater and fishing the film.
With all this being said, I've never fished for bass, just planning.
The SA bass line should be perfect👍

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Hey Billy, I'm headed down to Texas soon and plan to chase some monsters in a local lake. West side Washington I fish my 6 or 7wt, but last time I was there I learned the hard way that the 7 wasn't enough. So this time I'm taking the BVK 9' 9wt. Only problem is I don't know what line.

The SA page says that they upline the wt by about 2 weights to promote short line casting. I usually buy a heavier line than the rod weight for bass fishing, but in this case I'm not sure what weight to get.

I know you throw big junk - what kind of line/rod matchups do you use?

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am interested in what @Billy thinks, but I would go with the 9 wt line. my 8wt rod and 8wt bankshot line match well. Short casts, but can also get the head out and fire'm off for some distance. Things fall apart when you try to keep too much line in the air.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Anyone play around with the Cortland Compact floater? I've been playing around with a couple of the sinking compacts for tigers and really like them for that application.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Hey Billy, I'm headed down to Texas soon and plan to chase some monsters in a local lake. West side Washington I fish my 6 or 7wt, but last time I was there I learned the hard way that the 7 wasn't enough. So this time I'm taking the BVK 9' 9wt. Only problem is I don't know what line.

The SA page says that they upline the wt by about 2 weights to promote short line casting. I usually buy a heavier line than the rod weight for bass fishing, but in this case I'm not sure what weight to get.

I know you throw big junk - what kind of line/rod matchups do you use?
I would think you would be good with the line. It really depends on what you are throwing and how far you want to fish. I actually have some salt water lines/tapers to throw my biggest stuff. But I'm a top water addict with goal of covering water with pretty darn big poppers/rats.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone play around with the Cortland Compact floater? I've been playing around with a couple of the sinking compacts for tigers and really like them for that application.

I got one. The jury is still out for me on it.
Used it as my salt floater for a few trips this winter. Maybe it will do better in warmer weather for me or after I stretch the shit out of it.
I do like my type III compact sinking line.

As much as I hate Rio lines, but Big Nasty has been decent.
SF

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I would think you would be good with the line. It really depends on what you are throwing and how far you want to fish. I actually have some salt water lines/tapers to throw my biggest stuff. But I'm a top water addict with goal of covering water with pretty darn big poppers/rats.
That's my trip too, especially when down in Texas. Big poppers and foamhead divers. I'm usually fishing from shore so I need to reach out a bit more than if I was in a kayak/boat. I ordered the SA 9wt and will see how it does.