Floating line for bass bugs?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm using orvis bankshot, I belive it to be almost identical to the SA Bass line.
In taper? Or are you saying that you think Orvis has SA make it and brand it in an Orvis box?

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Perfect timing on this thread. Anyone try the SA Anadro? Was going to use it on a 6wt for smallmouth on the Snake.

Salter Lee

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I like the Cortland Bass line - the orange and white one. Also, for some tight quarter spots I like the Wulff Ambush

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I like the Cortland Bass line - the orange and white one. Also, for some tight quarter spots I like the Wulff Ambush
So, I have a number of wulff ambush lines around. What do those give up vs the SA/Orvis or Cortland lines when using them for bass?

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Perfect timing on this thread. Anyone try the SA Anadro? Was going to use it on a 6wt for smallmouth on the Snake.
Yes, I have a few of them. Not the best for bigger stuff (big poppers or heavy sub-surface bass flies), but casts nice and mends really well. Probably a fine choice if you're using for smaller streamers and are also wanting to use it as a nymphing line.

Salter Lee

Smolt
Forum Supporter
@Josh I don't love they way the overhead cast compared to other lines mentioned, but if you're roll casting from a canoe or kayak (especially sitting down) they work well.

Wyfly

Just Hatched
I’ve been using SA Bass Bug on my 7wt and it is absolutely awesome for turning over big flies. Super slick and doesn’t have issues getting sticky from pond scum or hot temps. I really like the SA Sonar Titan Full Intermediate for fishing Gamechangers and craws as well.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve been using SA Bass Bug on my 7wt and it is absolutely awesome for turning over big flies. Super slick and doesn’t have issues getting sticky from pond scum or hot temps. I really like the SA Sonar Titan Full Intermediate for fishing Gamechangers and craws as well.
I’m running the same thing just 8wt lines on 8wts, think these lines are some of the best for bass. I also like a titan tropical clear tip too for smaller flies and when I need a little more stealth (or a TT predator tip)

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Also I have fished a buddies imx pro 7 and really liked that rod with a 7wt bass bug. Could also go with a titan long if you were thinking to use it for streamers in cooler temps but for bass fishing that bass bug line is too good

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Also I have fished a buddies imx pro 7 and really liked that rod with a 7wt bass bug. Could also go with a titan long if you were thinking to use it for streamers in cooler temps but for bass fishing that bass bug line is too good

This is exactly my rig (IMX PRO 790 + Bass Bug). I also have a Streamer Max Short for it. I havent fished the Bass Bug line yet, but the Streamer Max is delightful

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I've tried the "new and improved" bass taper lines from different companies but truthfully, my ol' bright orange SA bass taper floating line still works as good as the new models.

Tip... I found this out more by accident then intent. I was fishing a trout lake in central Oregon and thought I had packed my trout WF dry line but discovered it was actually my floating bass taper line. What the hell, I used it anyway and once a devil of a wind came up, I was glad it was the heavy WF bass taper. Chances are I wouldn't been able to cast a typical WF dry line in that wind but my over size bass taper line cut right through the wind so I could continue to fish with my trout dry flies.

Not only could I cast the trout size dry flies, I caught some trout with the surface patterns during the wind storm.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Just ordered an SA Bass Bug. We'll see how it does on my Echo BAG when it gets here.
Ha - perfect. I was just about to ask if anyone was using that line on a BAG, or if they could provide a grain weight for the 7 or 8wt lines. My 8wt Quickshot loves the 300gr Tropical Punch, but the Tropical Punch does not love our cold Western WA lakes.

Could you put up a review after you try it?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Ha - perfect. I was just about to ask if anyone was using that line on a BAG, or if they could provide a grain weight for the 7 or 8wt lines. My 8wt Quickshot loves the 300gr Tropical Punch, but the Tropical Punch does not love our cold Western WA lakes.

Could you put up a review after you try it?
I will do my best. But I'm not the most graceful or skilled caster! Will be the 7wt line on a 7wt BAG.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just ordered an SA Bass Bug. We'll see how it does on my Echo BAG when it gets here.
Fished an 8wt titan long on an 8wt BAG quickshot and liked that setup, I’d bet the bass bug will be similar and you’ll like it. Real pleasant fishing setup and big fan of that for topwaters. But interested to hear what your opinion is.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I will do my best. But I'm not the most graceful or skilled caster! Will be the 7wt line on a 7wt BAG.
on my 7wt BAG, I really like shooting heads in the 235-250 range FWIW for bass stuff.

I really don't change that grain weight much even when I change to my rocket fast graphite 7wt (Dan Craft).

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Fished an 8wt titan long on an 8wt BAG quickshot and liked that setup, I’d bet the bass bug will be similar and you’ll like it. Real pleasant fishing setup and big fan of that for topwaters. But interested to hear what your opinion is.
That's exactly what I'm using now. It's fine, but always looking for better!