NFR Any actual good online "black friday" or "cyber monday" deals you found?

Non-fishing related

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Me... I burn through running shoes. About a half dozen or so per year.
When I worked overseas inside a number of footwear factories doing production management, several of my coworkers were avid runners. They would request that the factory would put a "shot" of liquid EVA intended for a Size 9 into the mold for a Size 11 (for example). That meant that the resulting midsole was much softer than spec. They'd get about 50 miles out of a pair, but they all loved the cushioning. They'd have the factory produce a half-dozen at a time.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
When I worked overseas inside a number of footwear factories doing production management, several of my coworkers were avid runners. They would request that the factory would put a "shot" of liquid EVA intended for a Size 9 into the mold for a Size 11 (for example). That meant that the resulting midsole was much softer than spec. They'd get about 50 miles out of a pair, but they all loved the cushioning. They'd have the factory produce a half-dozen at a time.
Yeah, a LOT has changed in running shoe design in just the last 5 or so years. They don't use EVA much anymore, but you get much higher stacks of foam now. The higher performance shoes, which I typically run in, have about 40mm of foam, then use carbon fiber rods or plates to stabilize them. Pretty cool technology and designs. Also gives for a much wider variety of shoe types than were available just a few years ago... so now it's almost worse than fishing rods for me... gotta have a pair for slower/recovery days, shoes for faster/tempo days, speed/race shoes, non-plated shoes, etc.

Just an example of how crazy they've gotten, here's what I ran in today (one of my daily trainers that I like to use the day after a harder run).

1701211161578.png

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Me... I burn through running shoes. About a half dozen or so per year. So I just stocked up with six new pairs off my favorites at a fraction of what I've paid for them before. Dicks Sporting Goods has really good shoe deals going on right now.
spent two decades running facility operations for a podiatric medical school...the podiatrists in the running club regularly tested all the various makes and models...their position was much better for high mileage runners to cycle through less expensive running shoes vs running premium shoes into the ground...Brooks Beast, however, was always my fave..other than the price tag

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
spent two decades running facility operations for a podiatric medical school...the podiatrists in the running club regularly tested all the various makes and models...their position was much better for high mileage runners to cycle through less expensive running shoes vs running premium shoes into the ground...Brooks Beast, however, was always my fave..other than the price tag
Yeah, lots has changed, but that used to be the case. The newest generations of running shoes are on a very different level. Big changes in the materials and technologies used in the last 5 or so years. I've spent a LOT of time at the podiatrist over the last 20yrs (on account of my weirdly arched feet), so have gained a lot of knowledge between those guys and just keeping up on things. I don't post about it much on here outside this thread, but fitness and running are as big or bigger parts of my life than even fishing, so I geek out pretty hard about it.

Edit:: I used to have to run in prescription orthotics, but with a lot of what's available now, that hasn't been necessary for a few years for me.

A lot of the older high end shoes, especially from Nike, were built on extremely narrow footbeds, and they screwed up a lot of peoples feet.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah, lots has changed, but that used to be the case. The newest generations of running shoes are on a very different level. Big changes in the materials and technologies used in the last 5 or so years. I've spent a LOT of time at the podiatrist over the last 20yrs (on account of my weirdly arched feet), so have gained a lot of knowledge between those guys and just keeping up on things. I don't post about it much on here outside this thread, but fitness and running are as big or bigger parts of my life than even fishing, so I geek out pretty hard about it.

Edit:: I used to have to run in prescription orthotics, but with a lot of what's available now, that hasn't been necessary for a few years for me.

A lot of the older high end shoes, especially from Nike, were built on extremely narrow footbeds, and they screwed up a lot of peoples feet.
very cool stuff, you're dialed...me as pronated as a sidewalk so been in orthotics for decades...hear you about the fitness...some combo of swim, spin, lift, power walk, floor exercises pretty much every day...cannot imagine not doing it

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Yeah, a LOT has changed in running shoe design in just the last 5 or so years. They don't use EVA much anymore, but you get much higher stacks of foam now. The higher performance shoes, which I typically run in, have about 40mm of foam, then use carbon fiber rods or plates to stabilize them. Pretty cool technology and designs. Also gives for a much wider variety of shoe types than were available just a few years ago... so now it's almost worse than fishing rods for me... gotta have a pair for slower/recovery days, shoes for faster/tempo days, speed/race shoes, non-plated shoes, etc.

Just an example of how crazy they've gotten, here's what I ran in today (one of my daily trainers that I like to use the day after a harder run).

View attachment 92683
These are just as comfortable, but less expensive and last longer.
IMG_8121.jpeg

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
@Evan B I bought the 3 bank Noco 15amp a few months ago. One of the banks went belly up a couple months later. A fluke I believe but Noco stood behind their product and sent me a new one. Their support staff was great to work with, first class in my opinion.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

View attachment 92683
These are my running shoes .😂
17012290273692690444634939862691.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I bought a DeWalt cordless sawzall, drill and hedge trimmer from Home Depot.
I have all those already, but wanted the battery versions for quick, easy jobs.
Probably should have done it sooner, but my first experience with cordless tools wasn’t great and was with a different brand. Hopefully the batteries and experience will be better this time around.
SF

SSPey

loco alto!
I bought a DeWalt cordless sawzall, drill and hedge trimmer from Home Depot.
I have all those already, but wanted the battery versions for quick, easy jobs.
Probably should have done it sooner, but my first experience with cordless tools wasn’t great and was with a different brand. Hopefully the batteries and experience will be better this time around.
SF

One of the first things I did with my cordless drill was make adaptors to quick-chill bottles and cans by spinning them in an ice bath. Just 2 minutes for a cold one. It one way to leverage your purchase into a “good experience”

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
These are almost new. The old ones were really bad.
Much like Salmo, you best not be told a joke on Saturday night to avoid causing you to start laughing in church come Sunday morning.