Bass on the fly advice...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Good info. But...what does "warm bass water" mean to SA? I feel like it means TX more than WA.

I'm asking this same question.
Worried the Bass Bug line I got this winter will coil to much in my local PNW waters this summer.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm asking this same question.
Worried the Bass Bug line I got this winter will coil to much in my local PNW waters this summer.
I would care less about these questions if it wasn't a $80 line. For like $30, whatever. But $80....

Chucker

Steelhead
I would care less about these questions if it wasn't a $80 line. For like $30, whatever. But $80....
Don’t overthink it. I use “tropical” lines quite a lot around here. The increased stiffness becomes a problem when you are fishing winter steelhead and the air and water is just above freezing. Any temperature that a bass will be willing to eat in will not be a problem. Got some coils? Just give the line a stretch and they will go away.

If you are fishing from a boat on a sunny day and your line spends time laying on the deck, you will be happy for that warm water coating. Or rather, you won‘t notice when your running line doesn’t end up in a horrible bird‘s nest every time you make a cast.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Agree. Since I’m in PA and not WA I’m not sure what your typical bass weather really is but so far the bass bug has been good for the majority of my bass season and then I switch to the titan king for the shoulder season/streamer work instead of the bass bug.

And coily can be a relative thing - it’s not like the running lines on those real old intermediates that would spin up into a knot when you pull em off the reel, but the bb stays stiff and has a little memory at those lower temps

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Good info. But...what does "warm bass water" mean to SA? I feel like it means TX more than WA.
That is what I thought, esp when they said "tropical coating." I bought the Titan Long based on what the rep said. But there are others here who know far more than I, and who have direct experience with the bass bug.

cody-

Steelhead
Just when I think I have it figured out, a new conversation pops up that makes me second guess... I'm still thinking Echo B.A.G. - I will mostly be fishing in S.E. WA this summer. I'm still unfamiliar with the area (in fact, I just purchased my WA fishing license this morning), so if I'm using the B.A.G. + an aggressive taper with big flies on the lower Yakima (below Horn Rapids) or something like Banks Lake will I get better mileage out of a warmwater or coldwater/moderate line? I know air temperatures will get hot, hot, hot in the summer but have no clue what to expect from water temperatures yet.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Just when I think I have it figured out, a new conversation pops up that makes me second guess... I'm still thinking Echo B.A.G. - I will mostly be fishing in S.E. WA this summer. I'm still unfamiliar with the area (in fact, I just purchased my WA fishing license this morning), so if I'm using the B.A.G. + an aggressive taper with big flies on the lower Yakima (below Horn Rapids) or something like Banks Lake will I get better mileage out of a warmwater or coldwater/moderate line? I know air temperatures will get hot, hot, hot in the summer but have no clue what to expect from water temperatures yet.
Water temps at Banks (Punch Bowl, Jones Bay, Barker Canyon etc) will get into the mid 70’s in the summer.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't hit my favorite local bass lake yet since the weather has been so cool. But when I do, I pack the 6wt & a 7wt. The 6 has a basic SA WF6F that I've had forever. The 7wt has split between a WF7F Titan taper and a standard WF8F. Both rods are Redington Pursuits (the pre-Path that was the "oh shit, these rods are too nice, better cancel them, make them less pretty and more expensive and rename them Path) and cast big bugs very well. The 6wt is the most fun and can still control a 2 lb bass. The bigger ones, especially in the big pads or cat tails do better with the 7wt. Depends on how big a bug I want to throw too.
A standard little frog popper on the 6 is my go-to.
To give you an idea of size, this is a nice 2.5...maybe 3 pounder. It could fit a much bigger frog, but guess what...the frogs aren't very big in April & early may. BTW, I have big hands. Bucket mouth is an appropriate name!
20170812_200847 (1).jpg

Later in the summer and early fall the frogs are big. Here's a slightly smaller fish caught on a big 3/0 deer hair frog. Best casted on the 7wt.
20180918_185809.jpg

Love when they're on top. The plop, wait for all the rings to clear, if no hit then, pop, pop, pop, wait....Bang! And most can be done on a short cast, but those longer poppers casts landing just inches from shore are great practice and great fun when the water explodes.

cody-

Steelhead
FWIW, I've got a 7wt BAG and ordered the SA bass line in 7wt. We'll see how that shakes out. Line isn't here yet.
Just pulled the trigger on the same outfit purchased as combo from Big Y. Someday I'll find a reason to use something other than a clinch knot but today is knot that day.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
7wt BAG is absolutely bangin'...you guys will love it!

not sure I've said that before... :LOL:

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I've been planning on grabbing a 7wt Titan Long for floating line streamer duty and it being a good bass line basically solidifies that idea. Possibly some floating beach work too.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been planning on grabbing a 7wt Titan Long for floating line streamer duty and it being a good bass line basically solidifies that idea. Possibly some floating beach work too.
I actually prefer my old Cortland 444SL Rocket taper WF8F over the WF7F Titan Taper on my 7wt. Kinda funny since the Titan is a higher end line and my box says it was $84.99. I didn't pay that much for it, but I'm pretty sure I bought the Rocket taper, years ago, brand new for only $50.

And my "new to me" Fenwick Aetos 8wt did really well with the WF8F Rocket taper last night as well. I was casting plenty far enough for bass popper work. And much more enjoyable than the Titan. And way more accurate, which is really important for westside bass- shoreline, trees, lily pads and docks are a constant. Titan taper is very forward heavy. I found that a bit clumsy and not accurate enough for most popper work. Almost like it needs a poly leader since such a steep front taper.

It was the maiden voyage for the Aetos last night. I have a 1st gen 4wt Aetos and love it so pulled the trigger on a 1st gen 8wt that I found for sale. The 2nd gens are only $235 so also a great, great deal, but I saved enough for a new line.
The 8wt did not disappoint. The only trouble is now my 7wt Redington Pursuit feels tip heavy....mostly because it is. :LOL: I'll keep it around, but will make sure I don't cast it right after casting the Aetos. It was also more accurate than the Pursuit, which is also to be expected.
First fish for the new 8wt was this healthy little pounder.
20220524_200741.jpg