March tying contest thread and February's winner is:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Is it rigged if the judge picks himself?
My tying skills can't and don't come close to what James is showing so there's certainly NO point in me posting a Buzz's man-cave tied skwala pattern,. ;-) Amazing creativity and skills, truly great! And I love how he's able to capture them in photographs. A bit of thread drift - when I was going to college I fished the Klamath River quite often. Randall Kaufmann's "stonefly" nymphs were really effective but they took me a good hour to tie just one. I fished them with a spinning rod and split shot and of course it only took a few minutes to foul hook bottom and break off..... I wish I'd known about Pat's Rubber Legs back then.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My tying skills can't and don't come close to what James is showing so there's certainly NO point in me posting a Buzz's man-cave tied skwala pattern,. ;-) Amazing creativity and skills, truly great! And I love how he's able to capture them in photographs. A bit of thread drift - when I was going to college I fished the Klamath River quite often. Randall Kaufmann's "stonefly" nymphs were really effective but they took me a good hour to tie just one. I fished them with a spinning rod and split shot and of course it only took a few minutes to foul hook bottom and break off..... I wish I'd known about Pat's Rubber Legs back then.

Let me be the "judge" of that 😉

I only posted mine to give others ideas. I want to see cave man Skwala real bad!!!

Divad

Whitefish
789DAC07-B62A-49AF-8E86-7B742BBCDF1B.jpeg
16F84F2B-DB65-4E3C-BD61-3FC585BA56C8.jpeg
Swung Skwalabala

For the tight line affectionate folk, size 12 AquaTalon hook. I haven’t fished this much on the wet side but in MT this worked wonders. Used to cut the top half of the hackle for looks but after they’re eaten a couple times half is gone anyways.

Edit: second photo added

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Are you in Walla Walla?...
A friend when I was 10-12 years old had access to the lower private portions of the Walla Walla River in Oregon. One summer we all went yard camping and fishing there for a week. I tied up a bunch of hoppers, wild Redbands, will probably never get access to that stuff again.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was just noticing how poorly tied these nymphs are. Your abdomen sections are limited. Skwalas have 10 clear segmentations on their abdomens and you have not matched that. Do better! 😂

Something like that @Billy ?