March tying contest thread and February's winner is:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
View attachment 56558
View attachment 56559
Swung Skwalabala

For the tight line affectionate folk, size 12 AquaTalon hook. I haven’t fished this much on the wet side but in MT this worked wonders. Used to cut the top half of the hackle for looks but after they’re eaten a couple times half is gone anyways.

Edit: second photo added
From what I've been observing I could see this being a very effective fly. Great tie.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Not sure I'll get a chance to fish it, but I think the gold hares ears would be a closer color than the brown I had yesterday. View attachment 57518
Yes, I'm quoting my own post. This thing was a fiddly bitch for me to get tied, so I only did one. Since I'm caught up on grading final projects I went out to test. About 1/2 hr in I hooked up with a really :) nice fish. Same 10' 3wt and 3x so I didn't have much of a chance and didn't want to have to exhaust it just for a pic. Tried really putting the brakes on, but a couple head shakes and the leader parted in the middle of the loop. These are not an easy tie for me, but I'm going to do more.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yes, I'm quoting my own post. This thing was a fiddly bitch for me to get tied, so I only did one. Since I'm caught up on grading final projects I went out to test. About 1/2 hr in I hooked up with a really :) nice fish. Same 10' 3wt and 3x so I didn't have much of a chance and didn't want to have to exhaust it just for a pic. Tried really putting the brakes on, but a couple head shakes and the leader parted in the middle of the loop. These are not an easy tie for me, but I'm going to do more.
Steel?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Got a chance to dunk this for an hour, and it found a few small ones. Went looking for nymphs in the river and found none, nor any of these bugs anywhere. Might be about done.
This was a great thread choice James, I've enjoyed it immensely. I've gotten on to these the last few years, and paid a lot more attention this season because of this thread. The newer stuff I tied and posted just after christmas turned out to be not so good. Half way through the month and I've seen some ties I want to try for next year. Looking forward to seeing what's coming.

Attachments

• 20230314_flywet.jpg
    20230314_flywet.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Step-18.jpg

Step_19.jpg