March tying contest thread and February's winner is:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was trying to think of a way to get the biot tails on the end of the mop and keep the movement

So I just jammed the mop chenille in my vice, with the end sticking out just a tiny bit (after being singed with a lighter). Attach the thread as normal with only 4 or 5 wraps, tie in tail material, whip finish, then add a dab of super glue or UV resin. The Vice actually holds it pretty good, easier than I thought it was going to be!

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
My stonefly pattern tied for skwala, the "suspender stone" named as the antennae are created by pulling two of the double legs forward from the rear tie in point, sorta like suspenders. I haven't tested it for skwala yet but the golden variation has been great to me. It feels nice to finally have a proven stone pattern that I can tie quickly and have confidence in throwing. It skitters very well too, more important when the water is warmer.

IMG_1627.jpegIMG_1629.jpegIMG_1628.jpeg

Silouette with light from above as a fish would see it

IMG_1630.jpeg

A golden stone from last year that took around 25 nice cutthroat and browns in an afternoon and kept on fishing.

IMG_1631.jpeg

Munched
IMG_0516 2.jpeg

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My stonefly pattern tied for skwala, the "suspender stone" named as the antennae are created by pulling two of the double legs forward from the rear tie in point, sorta like suspenders. I haven't tested it for skwala yet but the golden variation has been great to me. It feels nice to finally have a proven stone pattern that I can tie quickly and have confidence in throwing. It skitters very well too, more important when the water is warmer.

View attachment 57074View attachment 57077View attachment 57076

Silouette with light from above as a fish would see it

View attachment 57078

A golden stone from last year that took around 25 nice cutthroat and browns in an afternoon and kept on fishing.

View attachment 57075

Munched
View attachment 57079
I like this a lot. Easy to tie (relatively), durable, floats well (holds up a dropper), and can change colors to suit hatches. Great tie!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
@Billy failed to mention that I would not consider a Pat's Stone as an entry to this month's contest. We all know they work, they are boring as heck to tie (and fish, IMO). Additionally, hard to say if they are taking it as a Skwala (especially when fishing the ever-popular Coffee-Black version), or if they are taking it as a Golden Stone, a salmon fly, or even a cranefly Larva. I consider a Pat's to just be an all-purpose fly, rather than a Skwala. Ok, snob rant over, and my apologies if this offends any of you.

I'm looking for people's originals, or even commercial, or altered commercial patterns (besides Pat's) that have worked well for them.
Hey James, just a follow up to this. The bugs were coming out the other day. My fly w/ bug pics didn't get saved, but the coffee/blk pat's was too fat, and dark when wet. It got a few fish, but it only vaguely resembled the real deal. The nymphs in the water really are more yellow/tan, lt brown (lighter in color), then start to darken and change quite quickly when out on the rocks. Note: I have the legs adjusted up here so it skates better along the cobbled shore after being lifted at the end of a drift. Don't skip that presentation part.
I see some flies in here I wish I'd had to try.

Attachments

• 20230308_bug2.jpg
    20230308_bug2.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230310_060533[1].jpg
    20230310_060533[1].jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230310_060559[1].jpg
    20230310_060559[1].jpg
    497 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey James, just a follow up to this. The bugs were coming out the other day. My fly w/ bug pics didn't get saved, but the coffee/blk pat's was too fat, and dark when wet. It got a few fish, but it only vaguely resembled the real deal. The nymphs in the water really are more yellow/tan, lt brown (lighter in color), then start to darken and change quite quickly when out on the rocks. Note: I have the legs adjusted up here so it skates better along the cobbled shore after being lifted at the end of a drift. Don't skip that presentation part.
I see some flies in here I wish I'd had to try.
Well at least you are seeing them, Tom! Haven't seen much of any up my way, and we just got another 3" of snow last night. Ugh! Need these night time temps to warm up a bit.

Yeah, most of the nymphs I see are pretty slender. And more dark olive with golden yellow legs. But, I do believe there are a couple different species here in WA, so there may be some variation.

Good on ya for getting out, catching some fish, and documenting some entomology for your (and our) notes!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I was hoping to see Skwala specific ties from people. Also, love the stimmy. One of my go to patterns for Skwalas (I'll try and add a pic of one here soon) is a stimmy tied with dun dyed elk, peacock dubbing for the body ribbed with dyed olive grizzly, and then a hot yellow dubbed Thorax with a black hackle palmered through!
I saw some floaters
20230311_floater.jpg
Now I'm just assuming these are the subject bug, but there has been a definite break, and these are certainly bigger than the little winter stones, and behave differently. The timing seems right.
20230311_SwallaQuestionMark.jpg
So here's that Brown and Black Stimulator. But really, to be fair, thinking about it, and the criteria, I fish this same tie, a bit bigger for the next hatch or in the fall, or for hoppers, or moths, or whatever, and as a basic summer 3rd fly indicator up top. So maybe in the fishable option fly category but again not exactly a Skwala.
20230311_brn_blk_stimulator.jpg
On the second cast this little one told me close enough today:)
20230311_2ndcast.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Not sure I'll get a chance to fish it, but I think the gold hares ears would be a closer color than the brown I had yesterday. 20230312_101855.jpg