March tying contest thread and February's winner is:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Well last month's contest was interesting to say the least! 😁https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/ind...g-contest-thread-and-januarys-winner-is.4130/

@Kfish has selected and I'm proud to announce we now have a two time champ in @James St. Clair!
the-rock-smoking-skull-title.gifJames tied a beautiful transition dun for the W:DSC_0163.jpgNow onto March. The theme as picked by James is Skwala's both in adult and nymphs.

Also if you haven't seen it yet I just posted the SBS for last months winner @Kfish here:

Let's get tying🍻
Billy

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
20220205_hello.jpg20220205_emergers.jpg20220205_newadult.jpg
I like a sz. 8 3xl coffee/black Pat's with black round rubber tail.
20230302_143741.jpg
or 10 3xl
20220205_131540.jpg
These worked, but I put two in the bushes before they got a proper testing.
20230302_143827.jpg
For adults I really just like a black and brown stimulator, like this from the other day.
20230302_145748.jpg

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
View attachment 56459View attachment 56449View attachment 56450
I like a sz. 8 3xl coffee/black Pat's with black round rubber tail.
View attachment 56451
or 10 3xl
View attachment 56457
These worked, but I put two in the bushes before they got a proper testing.
View attachment 56452
For adults I really just like a black and brown stimulator, like this from the other day.
View attachment 56461

@Billy failed to mention that I would not consider a Pat's Stone as an entry to this month's contest. We all know they work, they are boring as heck to tie (and fish, IMO). Additionally, hard to say if they are taking it as a Skwala (especially when fishing the ever-popular Coffee-Black version), or if they are taking it as a Golden Stone, a salmon fly, or even a cranefly Larva. I consider a Pat's to just be an all-purpose fly, rather than a Skwala. Ok, snob rant over, and my apologies if this offends any of you.

I'm looking for people's originals, or even commercial, or altered commercial patterns (besides Pat's) that have worked well for them.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
@Billy failed to mention that I would not consider a Pat's Stone as an entry to this month's contest. We all know they work, they are boring as heck to tie (and fish, IMO). Additionally, hard to say if they are taking it as a Skwala (especially when fishing the ever-popular Coffee-Black version), or if they are taking it as a Golden Stone, a salmon fly, or even a cranefly Larva. I consider a Pat's to just be an all-purpose fly, rather than a Skwala. Ok, snob rant over, and my apologies if this offends any of you.

I'm looking for people's originals, or even commercial, or altered commercial patterns (besides Pat's) that have worked well for them.
That doesn't offend me at all. In fact, I fish them because they are so generic, so I get it. I tie them because I just don't have the skills or creativity to do much more, and they do catch fish. I'm looking forward to seeing what others come up with!

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That doesn't offend me at all. In fact, I fish then because they are so generic, so I get it. I tie them because I just don't have the skills or creativity to do much more, and they do catch fish.

Totally Tom, and they do work, pretty much year round on pretty much any moving water. Not only do they catch trout, but steelhead too.

The reason I had added that caveat, is what looks to be like what we both agree on: Super generic bug. I was hoping to see Skwala specific ties from people.

Also, love the stimmy. One of my go to patterns for Skwalas (I'll try and add a pic of one here soon) is a stimmy tied with dun dyed elk, peacock dubbing for the body ribbed with dyed olive grizzly, and then a hot yellow dubbed Thorax with a black hackle palmered through!