Legend
Sedgehog

53642992340_545a33982c_c.jpg

53642745878_6faab0cac6_c.jpg

53642531521_66b5a57f40_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Uni 8/0 rusty brown
tail - UV-X ET dubbing bright orange
wing(s) - caribou dyed brown (3/4 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Camel, 1/ Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange/2 cups water)
body - Ice Dub pheasant tail
shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
hackle - brown

Regards,
Scott

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Last summer and early fall on one beach I fished regularly I was surrounded by large schools of a type of baitfish very slender with bulbous heads/eyes don't know if they were sandlance or? The Herons were lined up chowing down every morning. An attempt at some imitations from memory, the baitfish were 2 - 4" school after school swimming up current and shallow.
20240409_094341.jpg

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Last summer and early fall on one beach I fished regularly I was surrounded by large schools of a type of baitfish very slender with bulbous heads/eyes don't know if they were sandlance or? The Herons were lined up chowing down every morning. An attempt at some imitations from memory, the baitfish were 2 - 4" school after school swimming up current and shallow.
View attachment 110100
Something like this?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Restocking the SRC box with some more shrimp variations. All are borrowed heavily from a few different Nordic Angler patterns. If your an SRC junkie, I suggest you peruse their YouTube channel. Lots of stuff they tie works great in the Sound. Especially their shrimp stuff.

Articulated shrimp

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4697.jpeg

Others.

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Someone got a new vise ;)
Same vise I’ve had for a couple years now. You may have me confused with someone like bongoman who used to post a lot of flies here with the same color background.

You can tell who is who by the fact their flies were much more cleanly tied and photographed than mine :).

Edit…unless you meant vice…..as in I cannot stop fishing shrimp during fry season. If so, I agree 100%!

Last edited:

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I think so but I was mostly looking down on them from a top view and the eyes bulged out on the sides, they would flash or turn when startled and they looked like the pics. I need to tie some up with grey thread around the heads vs olive.
Thanks for pics

Could it have been Northern Anchovies?
They have kind of an odd shaped head with kind of bulging eyes. There have been quite a few around in the sound and canal the past few years.
SF

IMG_7011.jpeg
IMG_7012.jpeg

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Yes I think that's more likely, your Pic looks just like what I was seeing for a month or two they were quite thick at this beach. Seen from top down the head looks almost blocky with distinctive bulges at each side for the eyes.

I'm still steep in the learning curve on the beach.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just for comparison's sake, here is sandlance that was stranded on a minus tide a few years back. When live and viewed from above, their bodies tend to undulate side to side from head to tail and don't really have bulges where you describe.

1712711801743.png

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Unholy Cop Car...for the salmon box
View attachment 110157
I'm curious about the name of your fly, "cop car", can you share how or where this tie got its name? (I was gearing up to fish Leighton Lake one morning when a local stopped by to visit, he'd been into a lake nearby and was fishing a streamer he call the "patrol car" - it was more blue with black.)