What's in your vise?

Zoran

Steelhead
In the latest issue of Australia/New Zealand Fly Life magazine I've seen fly they posted. They called it Kryptonite Caddis:

1. Tie 12-turn surgeon's knot
  2. epoxy knot
  3. brown thread base and gold/silver mylar butt
  4. trim mono and tie it
  5. Spin CDC in the loop
  6. Wrap CDC hackle
  7. Dub Squirrel collar
  8. Whip finish and brush

IMG-6542.jpg
    IMG-6543.jpg
    IMG-6547.jpg

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I'd be happy to test it for you! Very cool!

Purging two fly boxes today - I decided to take a close look at my collection of hares ears. The past couple years, during a decent mayfly hatch, I didn't seem to have much luck with mine. Then last fall I managed to hook and land a nice brown trout on a flash back hares ear I found tucked beneath a heavily dressed fly. These are 14's and the tails are too long, I need to tie a few 16's and maybe a few 18's as well.

View attachment 105299
Those are some fuzzy Buzzy critters! I like the heavy hook too….

Scottp

Legend
Balanced Six Pack

53560323398_54b8992ea0_c.jpg

53560123856_237d762af7_c.jpg

53560453074_a0b85d1a97_c.jpg

Had to add a 1.5mm bead to keep the pin from slipping through the gold bead’s hole.

hook - WFC Model 20 #14
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
pin - #17 1 1/16”
bead - 5/32 gold
tail - pheasant rump dyed olive
rib - small wire gold
abdomen - pheasant rump dyed olive
thorax - Starburst dubbing olive
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Got this pattern from a guide from Boise at a popular central Washington spring creek last year in April. It caught a few large rainbows so I tied some up this morning. Kudos to Finluver for telling me how to wrap ice dub. I can’t see any detail until I take a photo and blow it up.

hook: TMC2488 size 18
bead: 3/32 black chrome
tail/shellback: pheasant tail
rib: xs copper
abdomen: olive ice dub
thorax: root beer ice dub

edc715bdcad75817eb4a5b0650aec655.jpeg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Got this pattern from a guide from Boise at a popular central Washington spring creek last year in April. It caught a few large rainbows so I tied some up this morning. Kudos to Finluver for telling me how to wrap ice dub. I can’t see any detail until I take a photo and blow it up.

hook: TMC2488 size 18
bead: 3/32 black chrome
tail/shellback: pheasant tail
rib: xs copper
abdomen: olive ice dub
thorax: root beer ice dub

View attachment 105326
That’s TOO, TOO BIG!!! 😳

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bought some new goodies. Cause ya know, I need more crap.
Some possum, coyote, fox, and Antron yarn.

Just a freestyle fly to see properties
Possum tail and wing, with a little elk hair under possum. Not sure I used Antron properly, but I like the way it wraps.

20240229_184527.jpg

Zoran

Steelhead
Yes.
Only small error was instead of hares dubbing, squirrel's dubbing was recommended. I got lazy to look into dubbing box. I should stick to the recipe.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yes.
Only small error was instead of hares dubbing, squirrel's dubbing was recommended. I got lazy to look into dubbing box. I should stick to the recipe.
Substitutions - know what that's all about! ;-) I was tying a Vampire Leech recently and didn't have the "usual" chartreuese bead so I subbed an orange bead. It caught a couple trout.