Forum Supporter
AE64D3A5-6691-4419-B64B-A14AEF24007C.jpeg

Grilled watermelon salad

64C8CF9F-DD13-4F94-A027-D7AE2CBE03E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
E020FE87-45D9-4D37-A5A1-981FEBA06123.jpeg64557945-1783-4443-9FD8-BD3CBB4002FA.jpeg
My wife picked this up for me at an “antique shop”…anybody have any idea who made it …I couldn’t find any other markings on it…

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If you had a recipe for this I'd love to see it. Looks and sounds delicious.
Sure - it's no knead bread -
3 cups* King Arthur bread flour
1.5 t kosher salt
1 t sugar
1 cup* warm water with about 3/4 t active yeast dissolved in the water (and maybe a tablespoon or two more h2o)
fresh rosemary - a sprig, I chop it fine
1+ t (or more) fresh thyme
finely minced fresh garlic, to taste
handful walnuts, chopped

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, including the herbs and nuts. I let the water/yeast mixture sit for a couple minutes before adding it to the flour mixture. With a spatula, I fold everything together to fully incorporate the flour/water. It helps to wet your hands to help mix everything the spatula doesn't get. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight. In the morning I flour a bread board and scrape the dough onto the board, with floured hands I fold the doughover itself several times and flip it over then place the dough on parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. I put the dough back into a bowl, cover with a towel and let it proof (is that the right word bread guru's?) for about two hours. I preheat my oven and dutch oven to 425F. I add an ice cube to the dutch oven as I place the dough on parchment into the dutch oven, put a lid on the pot and cook covered for 30 minutes, then another 15 minutes uncovered.

* I had never baked bread prior to the Covid lockdown. I found a couple YouTube videos and started baking no knead bread using measuring cups for volume. A very inexact method for baking, most of the guys who post here with their AMAZING baked goods are precisely weighing their ingredients.

Good luck, it's pretty easy, doesn't take a lot of effort and this particular loaf is very tasty!

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
1.5 t kosher salt
1 t sugar
1 cup* warm water with about 3/4 t active yeast dissolved in the water (and maybe a tablespoon or two more h2o)
handful walnuts, chopped

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, including the herbs and nuts. I let the water/yeast mixture sit for a couple minutes before adding it to the flour mixture. With a spatula, I fold everything together to fully incorporate the flour/water. It helps to wet your hands to help mix everything the spatula doesn't get. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight. In the morning I flour a bread board and scrape the dough onto the board, with floured hands I fold the doughover itself several times and flip it over then place the dough on parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. I put the dough back into a bowl, cover with a towel and let it proof (is that the right word bread guru's?) for about two hours. I preheat my oven and dutch oven to 425F. I add an ice cube to the dutch oven as I place the dough on parchment into the dutch oven, put a lid on the pot and cook covered for 30 minutes, then another 15 minutes uncovered.

* I had never baked bread prior to the Covid lockdown. I found a couple YouTube videos and started baking no knead bread using measuring cups for volume. A very inexact method for baking, most of the guys who post here with their AMAZING baked goods are precisely weighing their ingredients.

Good luck, it's pretty easy, doesn't take a lot of effort and this particular loaf is very tasty!
t=teaspoon or tablespoon?

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
1.5 t kosher salt
1 t sugar
handful walnuts, chopped

When you let it sit overnight is that on the counter or in the fridge?

G_Smolt

Legend
3.5 lbs of venison shank, a couple yella onions, some fatback, a whole pile of dried chiles rehydrated in beef stock (mostly ancho and pasilla negro, with a few chipotles and a couple of moritas for good measure), tomatoes, a couple roasted anaheims for some brightness, garlic, cerveza, and a Serrano for a floaty. Not pictured: fish sauce, toasted and crumbled tortilla chips, and enough cumin to choke a horse.
20220729_172510-01.jpeg

Fatback rendered, onions sweated, meat browned, chiles blended, tomatoes crushed, beer poured, cumin...cumined, and serrano poked, smashed, and floated. Right before it went into the oven yesterday.
20220729_180336.jpg

4 hours in the oven, overnight on the back deck, then back in the oven for 4 hours (lidless) for reduction purposes...plus, reheated chili is always (ALWAYS) better than fresh. Game time.
20220730_173857.jpg

Gonna be a good weekend, fisha. Peace.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
That sounds great...except for the oven running inside, but I bet it was awesome tasting.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Got my grill on Saturday evening.
Bone in 32 oz. Ribeye steak cooked to perfection.
None of this pussy assed, bullshit French Sous Vide crap, grilled over an open flame like a goddamn American should cook. Lightly seasoned with American spices, and cooked over a Canadian grill.
A real north Amercan tour de force here, except the wine was Italian, and quite the bottle...an excellent pairing.
;)
Pulled at 117⁰, rest till 123⁰, and served with some locally grown veg, salad and my signature mushroom risotto, for which I am famous for throughout the entire house.

Hardly made a dent in the steak, but that works for me, as steak salad tonight and for the forseeable future...steak sammich for lunch Monday too.20220806_182939.jpg
:)