What's in your cast iron tonight?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Chicken liver! My mom used to make it when I was a kid so I had to give it a go. Pretty tasty with some dry rub seasoning but not sure it will make it in the families regular rotation. Damn good for ya at $1.50 lb though.

Damn, I love chicken livers.
That looks super tasty.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Stocked Rainbow
Delicious!
Seriously? I haven't eaten a pellet fed trout in decades, so I don't have any recent metric to measure by. I just recall them being so bland that I resolved to only keep holdover trout or fry/fingerling planted trout that forage on natural feed for a year or more. I know that fish rations have changed and improved over the years, but stocker trout have traditionally been fed the cheap stuff, like Silver Cup trout ration.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Seriously? I haven't eaten a pellet fed trout in decades, so I don't have any recent metric to measure by. I just recall them being so bland that I resolved to only keep holdover trout or fry/fingerling planted trout that forage on natural feed for a year or more. I know that fish rations have changed and improved over the years, but stocker trout have traditionally been fed the cheap stuff, like Silver Cup trout ration.

It was the first stocked trout that I have eaten in quite a while. It was actually really good. It might not have been so good if I would have thought about what it had been eating in the past. ;)

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From last week at camp. Asparagus, sweet onions, and potatoes. Served with flatiron pre-smoked in the Traeger at home and cooked on a propane grill. Frying pan was a gift from my grandfather to my parents for their wedding, so it’s probably 70+ years old at this point. I love cooking with it while camping along with another 10 inch grill that my dad used to cook brook trout in on the fire. I carry on that tradition.

DB8CA635-4DF2-4B70-862F-6D4338C9DB4A.jpeg

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
From last week at camp. Asparagus, sweet onions, and potatoes. Served with flatiron pre-smoked in the Traeger at home and cooked on a propane grill. Frying pan was a gift from my grandfather to my parents for their wedding, so it’s probably 70+ years old at this point. I love cooking with it while camping along with another 10 inch grill that my dad used to cook brook trout in on the fire. I carry on that tradition.

View attachment 12999
Looks like either a Griswold or Wagner Ware. Got a picture of the back? That call tell a lot about when that pan was produced.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m not sure there is a label. It’s in the trailer and I will retrieve tomorrow. My grandparents didn’t have a lot of money back then. I’ll get a photo of the back. Be great to know.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks like either a Griswold or Wagner Ware. Got a picture of the back? That call tell a lot about when that pan was produced.
Finally got to the trailer today. Here is the bottom of the 8 inch pan.

A8635ABF-0E8F-4FB0-9335-FC63932882F9.jpeg

I have their other pan which Dad always used on the fire to cook brook trout. It is a 10 inch pan. Here is the bottom of it.

AA0CC231-CBF1-48FB-B2D8-59F7EB91C484.jpeg

I don’t have a photo of it in action on my iPad, but here is Dad in his element. Probably in his mid-80s in the photo. He passed away last October at 92 after a good long run. I appreciate your help in possibly learning the history of these pans. They are great for camp cooking as well as deep frying fish (e.g. walleye) at home.

5B9F1B28-6B8D-49AF-BC84-93EEC31FD6CB.jpeg

Mark

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Finally got to the trailer today. Here is the bottom of the 8 inch pan.

View attachment 13249

I have their other pan which Dad always used on the fire to cook brook trout. It is a 10 inch pan. Here is the bottom of it.

View attachment 13251

I don’t have a photo of it in action on my iPad, but here is Dad in his element. Probably in his mid-80s in the photo. He passed away last October at 92 after a good long run. I appreciate your help in possibly learning the history of these pans. They are great for camp cooking as well as deep frying fish (e.g. walleye) at home.

View attachment 13253

Mark
Hi Mark,
Those both look to be old Wagner Ware pans. Both made in Sidney, Ohio. The top pan marked “Made in USA” is most likely an unmarked (unbranded) Wagner skillet produced after 1959.

You can faintly make out the Wagner Ware logo on the bottom skillet. These were produced from 1935-1959. Those are some great pans that in your case come with lots of family history. Its nice that you can connect with memories of your father every time you use them. Your dad definitely looks like he’s in his element in that picture. It doesn’t get much better than pan fried brookies in an old iron pan 🙂
Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi Mark,
Those both look to be old Wagner Ware pans. Both made in Sidney, Ohio. The top pan marked “Made in USA” is most likely an unmarked (unbranded) Wagner skillet produced after 1959.

You can faintly make out the Wagner Ware logo on the bottom skillet. These were produced from 1935-1959. Those are some great pans that in your case come with lots of family history. Its nice that you can connect with memories of your father every time you use them. Your dad definitely looks like he’s in his element in that picture. It doesn’t get much better than pan fried brookies in an old iron pan 🙂
Thanks for sharing!

Dave
WOW! Thank you. I will clean up the bottom of the larger pan and re-post. Great to know the story. Yes, Dad loved fishing for brook trout. Growing up, we had a cabin in the mountains. After chores (e.g. cutting wood for the winter ski season), we fished a small lake for brookies. No rainbow trout were allowed in the kitchen, which consisted of a Great Majestic wood stove. Brookies were either on the menu for dinner or breakfast in the morning. Good memories!

Cliff

Steelhead
I have
WOW! Thank you. I will clean up the bottom of the larger pan and re-post. Great to know the story. Yes, Dad loved fishing for brook trout. Growing up, we had a cabin in the mountains. After chores (e.g. cutting wood for the winter ski season), we fished a small lake for brookies. No rainbow trout were allowed in the kitchen, which consisted of a Great Majestic wood stove. Brookies were either on the menu for dinner or breakfast in the morning. Good memories!
I have two Wagner Ware pans that I love. Great pans.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing!

Dave
I had my first fried trout, a brookie, when I was about 5 years old...dad would fry up some bacon first, then the trout into the bacon fat...in a cast iron skillet...