What's in your cast iron tonight?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
We like to have about 8-10 different dried chiles in stock. Some we grow and dry at home, some we buy, mostly the hard to find Mole varieties and other Oaxacan types.
Nice to have in the toolbox.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Beef and broccoli in the cast iron wok.

Here's the sauce bubbling with fried ginger and garlic and deglazing the wok right before adding a cornstarch slurry to thicken it.
PXL_20220409_032530518.jpg

When the sauce started to thicken, I put the previously stir fried beef back in the wok, along with the broccoli that I had blanched earlier and tossed the whole lot until covered with sauce. Yummy!
PXL_20220409_033651719.jpg

G_Smolt

Legend
Last night's fun - a "Steak n' Shake" style Frisco patty melt made with venison and homemade sourdough bread.

Like a lot of good things, it started with the caramelization of 2 onions...about halfway thru the process.
20220408_181328-01.jpeg

Cook the oval patties, get some sharp cheddar on yer sourdough, put about an onions' worth of deeply browned goodness on both sides, then fry until the desired state of toastiness is achieved.
20220408_185950-01.jpeg

Served up with a side of the secret sauce and a glass of rioja. Facehole-ready.
20220408_190245-01.jpeg

Peace, y'all

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Mine is actually "what's in your cast iron this morning" - four roasted (deveined/seeded) poblanos, a cup of sharp white cheddar results in some pretty tasty bread that goes well with smoked sturgeon:
IMG_0930.jpg
Those bits of sharp cheddar that melt on the crust a darn tasty.

gpt

Smolt
cleaning the garage shelves, again, and rediscovered my 'other' 10". i have had this pan for about 60 years, bought at a garage sale decades ago, and still going strong, no markings to tell me manufacturer. i suppose i should post up an image of my 'Bob's eggs' from the other night, maybe i will get around to it.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Tell me more about this stew, I'm intrigued and it looks wonderful.
In a dutch oven,
Saute 2 red onions sliced thin vertically with 3 thinly sliced cloves of garlic in olive oil until translucent. Remove.
Brown 1.5 lbs salt and peppered cubed lamb. I used leftover leg.
Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp Aleppo pepper, and 2 tsp each of smoked and hot paprika. Continue cooking for a minute or two.
De- glaze with 2 cups hot chicken stock.
Add cooked onions and garlic.
Add 1 cup dried, rehydrated, and cooked chickpeas.
Add 1 can diced tomatoes, zest of 1 lemon, and 2 tbs honey.
Simmer for an hour.
Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Super simple with great depth of flavor. As with most stews, way better the second day!

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I do pretty much the exact same thing with leftover lamb leg, but have used potatoes or white beans.
I've got the Palouse (Go Coogs) dried chickpeas in the pantry, gonna try them next time.
Flavor is outstanding for sure...

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I'm curious about your recipe and technique for the flatbread. Thanks!
15 oz bread flour
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sea salt
7.5-8 ounces warm water
Mix dry ingredients
Mix and knead water into dry ingredients. Looking for a soft but not sticky dough with good spring back when indented with a finger.
Cover and rest dough for 30 minutes.
Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
Pre shape each piece into a ball and flatten.
Cover and rest for another 30 minutes.
Pre heat some sort of cast iron pan or griddle, looking at between 400 -450 degrees. I used my cast iron comal.
Roll each piece of dough into about a 9 inch circle on a floured surface. About 1/8" thick.
Cook each until brown and puffy. Flip and brown other side. They hopefully you end up with something like a cross between a tortilla and a pita.
Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.

Smith

Steelhead
In a dutch oven,
Saute 2 red onions sliced thin vertically with 3 thinly sliced cloves of garlic in olive oil until translucent. Remove.
Brown 1.5 lbs salt and peppered cubed lamb. I used leftover leg.
Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp Aleppo pepper, and 2 tsp each of smoked and hot paprika. Continue cooking for a minute or two.
De- glaze with 2 cups hot chicken stock.
Add cooked onions and garlic.
Add 1 cup dried, rehydrated, and cooked chickpeas.
Add 1 can diced tomatoes, zest of 1 lemon, and 2 tbs honey.
Simmer for an hour.
Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Super simple with great depth of flavor. As with most stews, way better the second day!
I’m building this stew soon!