What's Catching You Fish?

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got out to fish the other day. Fishing was a little slow through the whole day. We had about 15 total (dry fly) eats, but only 3 to hand. Many of the fish weren't committing fully, sometimes just splashing at the fly. We only saw 3 adults all day.

Anyways, weather looks good for the rest of the week and I would guess it will pop off pretty good Thursday and through the weekend.

One of the fish we did catch taped 20.5", and ate this fly. I feel like there are 2 "versions" that hatch simultaneously. Not sure if it is a male/female thing, or 2 different species, but 1 is light and 1 is dark (like almost black). I tie the light one with yellow foam colored with a dark olive marker, and the dark one with olive foam colored with the same marker. This fish ate this light colored one.
DSC_0088-edit 1.jpg
DSC_0090-edit 1.jpgDSC_0087-edit 1.jpg
20240308_163026.jpg
83257.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC_0089-edit 1.jpg
    DSC_0089-edit 1.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 6

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I feel like there are 2 "versions" that hatch simultaneously. Not sure if it is a male/female thing, or 2 different species, but 1 is light and 1 is dark (like almost black). I tie the light one with yellow foam colored with a dark olive marker, and the dark one with olive foam colored with the same marker. This fish ate this light colored one.
I have noticed two different sizes/colors down this way also, not sure what's up. Good on you for getting eats! I have not been able get anything up top.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Got out to fish the other day. Fishing was a little slow through the whole day. We had about 15 total (dry fly) eats, but only 3 to hand. Many of the fish weren't committing fully, sometimes just splashing at the fly. We only saw 3 adults all day.

Anyways, weather looks good for the rest of the week and I would guess it will pop off pretty good Thursday and through the weekend.

One of the fish we did catch taped 20.5", and ate this fly. I feel like there are 2 "versions" that hatch simultaneously. Not sure if it is a male/female thing, or 2 different species, but 1 is light and 1 is dark (like almost black). I tie the light one with yellow foam colored with a dark olive marker, and the dark one with olive foam colored with the same marker. This fish ate this light colored one.
View attachment 106625
View attachment 106626View attachment 106628
View attachment 106627
View attachment 106630
That fly is unreal dude.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 106625
View attachment 106626View attachment 106628
View attachment 106627
View attachment 106630
Is it possible they were trying to sink the fly and then come back and hit it under water? They do that with hoppers quite often.

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is it possible they were trying to sink the fly and then come back and hit it under water? They do that with hoppers quit often.

Yeah, I see that with Hoppers a lot. No, I don't think so though. They were splash rising like 6" to a foot away from the fly. And like I said there weren't a whole lot of adults around that day so i dont think they were eating a real one that distance away. Maybe they were still wary, thinking they were going to eat it and last minute avoiding...who knows. It happened quite a few times. The others we missed were the classic "haven't had a hit for a while, grab your beer for a swig, and as soon as you get it to your lips and look up for a sec, a fish eats" haha!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Same with adult damsels and dragons as well. Fish will jump to try and stun them then come back and eat them.
A well place cast in the splash down ring will result in a solid take. My buddy John now ties his adult damsels and dragons without wings. His thought it is the fish key in on the body and color. He catches a lot of fish on his no wing version of those flies.
SF

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Same with adult damsels and dragons as well. Fish will jump to try and stun them then come back and eat them.
A well place cast in the splash down ring will result in a solid take. My buddy John now ties his adult damsels and dragons without wings. His thought it is the fish key in on the body and color. He catches a lot of fish on his no wing version of those flies.
SF
I'm with your buddy. My damsel dries have no wings and just barely enough grizzly hackle (clipped flat on the bottom) to float. I like them lying flat and low on the water. I think it results in more confident slurps rather than a crazy slash or tail slap. Missing hookups because of the slash or the tail slap gets really old.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Both of these put a bunch of trout the net and one whitefish. The golden was slightly more effective. The rest of the whitefish took an egg (no redsides on it).
1000012288.jpg

obligatory whitefish pic.
1000012888.jpg

🍻

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Both of these put a bunch of trout the net and one whitefish. The golden was slightly more effective. The rest of the whitefish took an egg (no redsides on it).
View attachment 108040

obligatory whitefish pic.
View attachment 108046

🍻
Nice whitey. Sometimes on the D, they save the day. I am sure this question has been answered before, but I’m too lazy to look for it. What chenille material are you using for the extended body? Thanks.