What have you done for your boat lately?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing that! I just ordered a riptide terrova for my boat. Are you pretty happy with the support so far?
Yep! I like how it can be folded down out of the way pretty quickly, and the rubber strap goes on and off easily too. So far so good!

MELinOre

Steelhead
Now was a good time to take up the level flooring on my drifter and clean all the debris out between the floor and bottom of the boat. Probably vacuumed up 10 pounds of sand, dirt, and other stuff that shouldn't be there!
Capture.JPG

MELinOre

Steelhead
Now was a good time to take up the level flooring on my drifter and clean all the debris out between the floor and bottom of the boat. Probably vacuumed up 10 pounds of sand, dirt, and other stuff that shouldn't be there!
View attachment 102272
After cleaning the boat floor I decided that the sheet metal screws holding the aluminum level floor to the runners needed to be replaced.
Capture.JPG
Some of the bottom shown screw weren't even holding the floor down to the runners. I wanted machine screws shown in the top of the photo which required tapping the holes in the aluminum floor and the aluminum runners. The below photo shows a tapped hole in a runner.
Capture0.JPG

Rear deck back in place.
Capture1.JPG

Center portion of level floor in place.
Capture2.JPG

Front level floor.
Capture3.JPG

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Did not do it myself but finally got a bow mounted trolling motor installed on my Whaler. After much negotiating with my own brain, I decided to pay someone to do it. I really wanted to get the wiring done through the hull to the center console which can be a notorious PIA upgrade for a Whaler but the local dealer was able to do so. These motors really are a game changer for Puget Sound boat fly fishers. Also got an onboard battery charger installed as well.

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Did not do it myself but finally got a bow mounted trolling motor installed on my Whaler. After much negotiating with my own brain, I decided to pay someone to do it. I really wanted to get the wiring done through the hull to the center console which can be a notorious PIA upgrade for a Whaler but the local dealer was able to do so. These motors really are a game changer for Puget Sound boat fly fishers. Also got an onboard battery charger installed as well.

View attachment 104682

View attachment 104680

View attachment 104684

View attachment 104685
SWEET!

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 104682

View attachment 104680

View attachment 104684

View attachment 104685
Your going to love it!

RCF

Life of the Party

View attachment 104682

View attachment 104680

View attachment 104684

View attachment 104685

Well done! Looks great also...

Having it done correctly made a huge difference too.

Enjoy!

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter

View attachment 104682

View attachment 104680

View attachment 104684

View attachment 104685
On the list of things to do for the whaler.... I'm curious how they ran the wiring, do they have channels to run it on the newer Montauks? I know on mine you'd have to dig through foam to get the the console. I'm either going to run lithium batteries in the anchor locker or put the plug in the side/front of the console

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
On the list of things to do for the whaler.... I'm curious how they ran the wiring, do they have channels to run it on the newer Montauks? I know on mine you'd have to dig through foam to get the the console. I'm either going to run lithium batteries in the anchor locker or put the plug in the side/front of the console

Mine had a wiring tube up to the front navigation lights which was the best case scenario. I was told that is not always the case depending on the model. When I was planning on doing it myself, I was going to do exactly what you are thinking. Lithium battery in fish or anchor locker but the fit would have been tight. If I could not make that work, I was going to put the batteries in the center console and run the wires along the rails and then into the console. Not ideal but would have worked.

If you have not chatted about this with the gent you bought your boat from, I would. I think he did a decent amount of research into options before he ended up buying his new boat.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Respect. I have built many things with wood, and its clear I am in kindergarten and will likely stay there... Nice shop.
Thank you. Woodworking is woodworking, though, and I’d love to see what you’ve made.

I think it’s really just a matter of time invested and available tools. While built largely from scrap, there are close to 100 hours in that rod vault (if I had plans and hadn’t had to make almost every part myself, it’d have gone a lot faster). My steelheading and SRC chasing time took a major hit this winter.

I was lucky to grow up with a contractor father who built with his own hands (and my hands once I was old enough to swing a hammer) every house we lived in and all of our cabinets, etc. While other kids were playing LEGO, I built the butcher block for the kitchen island out of hardwood scraps he’d brought home.

Last edited: