What have you done for your boat lately?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Was it glue starved?
No, the wood delaminated from itself--like when you open a bag of chips by pulling two parts of the bag. Weirdest thing i've ever seen. Definitely not epoxy starved, and the strips, when they blew apart, peeled their neighbors with them which indicates they were glued well to their neighbors.

rotato

Steelhead
No, the wood delaminated from itself--like when you open a bag of chips by pulling two parts of the bag. Weirdest thing i've ever seen. Definitely not epoxy starved, and the strips, when they blew apart, peeled their neighbors with them which indicates they were glued well to their neighbors.
Wow weird,
friggin boats
i am not trying to be critical, just curious

maybe timber stress?
cheers

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Maybe, but I can't imagine how or why. Boat hasn't hit anything , and hasn't been used roughly or in rough water.

And, no criticism detected. I had that same thought when I first saw it.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I just bought a 100 ft spool of 1/2 inch nylon braid for anchor rope. I have a 12ft Koeffler whitewater pram. It has 35 feet of anchor rope in the back, still in good shape, but I think it is 3/8 inch as my new rope looks thicker. In the front I had about 25 feet of cheap rope and it was definitely too short for some anchoring positions. Does 50 feet front and back sound about right you think? My fear of having too much is that I have to wrap it up each time after I use it and it will be more likely to get in the way. I usually just leave it in loose coils on the floor of the boat and my fly line does tend to find it at times and wrap up in it.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just bought a 100 ft spool of 1/2 inch nylon braid for anchor rope. I have a 12ft Koeffler whitewater pram. It has 35 feet of anchor rope in the back, still in good shape, but I think it is 3/8 inch as my new rope looks thicker. In the front I had about 25 feet of cheap rope and it was definitely too short for some anchoring positions. Does 50 feet front and back sound about right you think? My fear of having too much is that I have to wrap it up each time after I use it and it will be more likely to get in the way. I usually just leave it in loose coils on the floor of the boat and my fly line does tend to find it at times and wrap up in it.
Depends on where you're dropping anchor. If I recall from my sailing days, it was usually the goal to have 3-8x line than the water depth.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
congrats on owning one of the finest prams made...extra rope all about line management. One of my go to's for such...apply some caulking to the bottom of a 3 1/2 gallon plastic bucket with handle removed and holes drilled in the bottom 'corners', adhere to one corner of the bow area out of the way...pull the stored coiled rope out as needed, coil back in when not. Bucket easy to remove with a good tug.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Installed a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova for my boat, spot lock is going to be so good.

Had to make a platform for the bow to level, it’s a raised bow, small pieces since I don't have a big enough saw to cut one solid chunk at that angle.

IMG_0370.jpeg

The paint was still good from when she was painted 10yrs ago.

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

Took part of the trailer head out to test it.

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpegIMG_0417.jpeg

Made a switch for the directional heading puck.

IMG_0421.jpegIMG_0422.jpegIMG_0427.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
It’s a cnc cut kit I built from Sam Devlin in Olympia called Candlefish 16. Stitched and glue construction, glassed all throughout. I designed and added the center console myself, it’s supposed to be a tiller.

View attachment 84057View attachment 84058View attachment 84059View attachment 84060
Sam’s a great guy and designs and builds a nice boat. That’s a beauty!

We had one of his Surf Scoters when our kids were younger and cruised and fished all over Puget Sound and the San Juans in it. Great memories.