NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related
Metaphor of the week

Hungry character is handed favorite comfort food and eats it "in a manner that a swarm of piranha would consider indecent."😂

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
"Astrophysics For People In A Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson
read it, helped me actually understand the subject
"Testimony" by Robbie Robertson

Most of us know how drugs and alcohol have taken toll on musicians over the years; Robertson's description of the Band and their drug and alcohol use surprised me. I've long been a fan of the Band, this was an interesting read.
Lot of articles have been written on how Robertson copyrighted 'The Band' songs without informing the band, even though most of the songs had been written by Bob Dylan, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel and Levon Helm, making all future profits his alone, creating a bitter lifelong feud with Levon Helm.

• Wow
Reactions: Zak

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
read it, helped me actually understand the subject

Lot of articles have been written on how Robertson copyrighted 'The Band' songs without informing the band, even though most of the songs had been written by Bob Dylan, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel and Levon Helm, making all future profits his alone, creating a bitter lifelong feud with Levon Helm.
Not just Levon, the others all quit having anything to do with him.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Not just Levon, the others all quit having anything to do with him.
Interesting. Robertson, in his book, described how Danko, Helm and Manuel all came to him to be "bought out" of their copywright ownership to the songs. He claimed, that early on as they became successful that he insisted the Band members all maintain their rights to the songs that he wrote. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore since they're all gone (except for Hudson) and despite these ugly accusations, the Band leaves behind some of the best (my opinion) songs of this genre ever written.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Interesting. Robertson, in his book, described how Danko, Helm and Manuel all came to him to be "bought out" of their copywright ownership to the songs. He claimed, that early on as they became successful that he insisted the Band members all maintain their rights to the songs that he wrote. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore since they're all gone (except for Hudson) and despite these ugly accusations, the Band leaves behind some of the best (my opinion) songs of this genre ever written.
yea, he who writes the book controls the narrative.
From a distance it is obvious Robertson was the shrewd one in the group, looking out for himself, while most of the others were burning both ends, the exception being Garth Hudson, now in his mid 80's, who stayed above the fray, working with other gifted musicians in both rock and jazz genres all the way to the present.
I put The Band right there with The Beatles, The Stones, CSN&Y, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, and the other transcendent groups who created a unique niche with their music, separating themselves from everyone else, creating timeless music that will endure.

flybill

Life of the Party
I apologize, this is the second time one of my jokes wound up in the "what are you reading?" thread. Guess I'll have to be more careful.
If it makes any difference, I did get the joke from a book.😕
Hey if you're reading jokes then it counts in my book! Pun intended!

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Greatest Beer Run Ever, short read but amazing story about a USMC veteran and Merchant Mariner who decided his buddies from the neighborhood serving in Vietnam in 1967 needed some moral support. With a list of 6 or more names and outfits he used his MM card to get on a supply ship headed to Vietnam with a case of local NYC beer. His adventures there coincide with the beginning of the Tet offensive and it’s a great story.