Wet wading, felt or rubber soles?

G_Smolt

Legend
I find a LOT of korkers soles every year...just saying.

Felt is good, until you're wading on algal malts, or mud/clay, or anything but lightly textured rock with a normal amount of periphyton (slick stuff) on it. When shit gets weird on the walk in/out or the crick isn't the perfect freestone stream you imagined, the pro move is to already be wearing vibram with aluminum smear cleats.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just did some research on the different wading boot soles and I found that 90% go for felt.
So I bought a new pair with felt soles

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Felt is definitely the best, IF you can lawfully wear them in the waters you're fishing. Just got back from SE Alaska and felt is prohibited in freshwaters in AK.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I just don’t trust rubber soles alone. I had one pair, did not use any studs or cleats on the bottom, and almost killed my self wading, slicker than snot. if you put studs or cleats on rubber soles you should be fine. That’s what I did.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just don’t trust rubber soles alone. I had one pair, did not use any studs or cleats on the bottom, and almost killed my self wading, slicker than snot. if you put studs or cleats on rubber soles you should be fine. That’s what I did.
Few decades back, when I showed up with felt sole boots for my first Big D multi-day steelhead float, the guide pulled a large duffle bag from his truck and spilled a dozen pairs of studded felt wading boots onto the ground.... "Find a pair that fits, no one gets in my boat without them."

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Liked the Flyweights so much with waders that I bought a smaller pair for wet wading. Throw 10 Kold Kutters in each boot and you're set.

Wish the flyweights held up to saltwater better as I really like them. The Orvis lightweight boots have been much better in terms of durability in the salt.
Rubber with Kold Kutters for me when wet wading as well.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have historically mostly used felt (or just slipped all around in my Chacos sandals) for wet wading.

However, I picked up a pair of Adidas Terrex water shoes with 5.10 "Stealth" rubber on them the other year that have been as good as anything else I've used (and better to hike in). Sadly, they seem to be discontinued and I don't see any water shoes Adidas/5.10 are making with the Stealth sole.

I might try a pair of these when I need a new set: https://astraldesigns.com/products/loyak-ac-ms

Or just wear my old old Korkers wet wading shoes with the felt again.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Few decades back, when I showed up with felt sole boots for my first Big D multi-day steelhead float, the guide pulled a large duffle bag from his truck and spilled a dozen pairs of studded felt wading boots onto the ground.... "Find a pair that fits, no one gets in my boat without them."
I was always under the impression that boat owners hated studs in their boats?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I was always under the impression that boat owners hated studs in their boats?
If I'd have worn studs in my friend's boats in AK he'd have thrown me into the drink. Wearing studs in a boat is generally a cardinal sin. Mortal sin in a guide's river raft. 😄

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I know this gets discussed quite a bit but I am still unsure which way to go here. Looking at the Simm's Flyweight but I've only ever used felt. I'm lucky enough to have reached an age where I'm not as agile as I once was so the primary goal is traction on the small creeks of the PNW. The Flyweights supposedly have grippier rubber than standard soles and would be nice for off river walking between holes, but felt has been ok for this so far for me.

I'm about to flip a coin here, thoughts?
I wouldn't touch rubber without studs.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Guides are only concerned about your safety until you put scuff marks on their diamond plate.

I also am not as stable when wading as I used to be, but I've waded in Simms wet wading boots with their rubber soles for several years and have not felt I sacrificed much traction from the felts I used before. I mostly fish cold, clear freestone streams that do not have as much algae on the rocks, which can be more problematic with rubber soles. I've found that adding a wading staff to my outfit more than made up for any loss of stability. Last year, I gave my old Simms to my grandson who is getting into fly fishing and bought a new pair of the Simms Flyweights. They are similar, but significantly lighter. I like 'em.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I run felts all the time, but have been coming up against their limitations. Of course they are rough in the snow/ice/clay department, but this spring on the sauk opened my eyes to their shortcomings with algae. Never felt like I could get good purchase on the rocks, especially in any current. I'll be throwing some studs on before I do too much more up there.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I went rubber back when states started banning felt and that is all I use now. Put studs in though. I have waded some nasty stuff without them and your are just asking for a dunking unless you move super slow and carefully. Recently, I bought a wading staff to fish high water in Montana. Getting more safety conscious as I get older I guess. If you go rubber that is another option. Amazing how much much faster I felt moving around with that third point of contact.

Wish the flyweights held up to saltwater better as I really like them. The Orvis lightweight boots have been much better in terms of durability in the salt.
Rubber with Kold Kutters for me when wet wading as well.
SF

Have you tried the new Fly Weights in the salt? I loved the fly weights too but had the same issue as you. Did not last a year I don’t think. Curious if the new design is any better. The only fully salt proof boot I have found is the Simms Freesalt. Almost two years and going strong!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I went rubber back when states started banning felt and that is all I use now. Put studs in though. I have waded some nasty stuff without them and your are just asking for a dunking unless you move super slow and carefully. Recently, I bought a wading staff to fish high water in Montana. Getting more safety conscious as I get older I guess. If you go rubber that is another option. Amazing how much much faster I felt moving around with that third point of contact.

Have you tried the new Fly Weights in the salt? I loved the fly weights too but had the same issue as you. Did not last a year I don’t think. Curious if the new design is any better. The only fully salt proof boot I have found is the Simms Freesalt. Almost two years and going strong!

Haven’t tried the new style yet.
I’m about a year in on the Orvis lightweight boots and they are still going strong.
I seen similar lace loops on the new flyweight model as the previous model so I’ll probably pass, especially at $279.
SF

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I have historically mostly used felt (or just slipped all around in my Chacos sandals) for wet wading.

However, I picked up a pair of Adidas Terrex water shoes with 5.10 "Stealth" rubber on them the other year that have been as good as anything else I've used (and better to hike in). Sadly, they seem to be discontinued and I don't see any water shoes Adidas/5.10 are making with the Stealth sole.

I might try a pair of these when I need a new set: https://astraldesigns.com/products/loyak-ac-ms

Or just wear my old old Korkers wet wading shoes with the felt again.
Discontinued rates right up there with Backordered. Adidas had an early generation trail runner called Beltline that was the best of all worlds. Offroad sole on an otherwise road shoe, light enough for racing. And the sole had a spongy soft inner tread up the middle for gripping wet rocks - this also made it ideal for wet wading in Idaho and even the Cedar when it opened. That shoe was definitely a contributor to my current stockpiling habit (I still have extra Orvis Ultras w/ felt).

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For me I enjoy felt soles and a wading staff.

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have a nolongermade boot from SoftScience that have the grippiest rubber soles I've ever used. I also put additional siping on them and it's even better. The downside is that they have zero support, no arch (easily fixable) but the missile is far too flexible as well.

I recently grabbed a pair of Simms Challenger shoes for use on the boat and beach in Baja and they are far better all around. Soft rubber that grips. I also siped them extensively. They worked great on big C cobble but the true test will be the Deschutes. But, I have no doubt they'll work very well for that too!