Wet wading, felt or rubber soles?

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know this gets discussed quite a bit but I am still unsure which way to go here. Looking at the Simm's Flyweight but I've only ever used felt. I'm lucky enough to have reached an age where I'm not as agile as I once was so the primary goal is traction on the small creeks of the PNW. The Flyweights supposedly have grippier rubber than standard soles and would be nice for off river walking between holes, but felt has been ok for this so far for me.

I'm about to flip a coin here, thoughts?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I had been looking for footwear two? years ago, and got some good feedback from folks who thought the new rubber soles worked well, like the Michelin compound on the Orvis shoes. I went with felt, and a boot for more support and ankle protection, but a pair of sneakers would be nice some days. I have a pair of mid-range korkers and a low end orvis boa boot in felt, and I alternate between. I'm curious what other think as well.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
4 or so years ago I bought Simms wet wading shoes with felt bottoms. I was amazed at the sticking power over any other sole for the inland northwest

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Warning: thread drift (sort of) - to me, wading boots and wading "shoes" are sort of like fly rods, one rod isn't enough nor is one pair of boots. I wet wade a small creek in the Cascades, felts with studs are far better (for me and my old, not very flexible body) than my Simms Ultralights (which I LOVE for wading lakes for carp). Last autumn I went to Alaska, the outfitter I booked with required "rubber" soles, no spikes and the Simms Ultralights were great as most of the wading was brackish, not slippery. Thread drift over.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Dang those look sweet.
I'm really tempted to give them a whirl.

I should add, I'm a korkers fan boy
I think I might snag a pair. I love my Korkers as well. The soles are interchangeable with the boots, but I sized up in my boots so I'll probably have to get the next size down in the shoes which means buying more soles. Felt for up in the mountains on the little blue lines and rubber sole for out in the boat on the sound and in the pontoon for the evening bass bite.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Oh I like the looks of those. But seems like they'd fill with rocks and sand? Could wear with neoprene socks I guess?
Definitely something I'd be worried about. They came out with a sandal option as well but I think the shoe would provide a little better protection from that than the sandal.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I think I might snag a pair. I love my Korkers as well. The soles are interchangeable with the boots, but I sized up in my boots so I'll probably have to get the next size down in the shoes which means buying more soles. Felt for up in the mountains on the little blue lines and rubber sole for out in the boat on the sound and in the pontoon for the evening bass bite.
Ditto. Exactly what I was thinking. Super versatile.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
A bit of a drift but might be helpful to someone the last few years I've been rolling with simms and vibram but if I need extra traction I strap on Yak Trax, these are designed for walking on ice/snow originally but work well, not perfectly but pretty Damm good. They are relatively inexpensive, durable, pack down to nothing and light weight. I've used them when hiking, then strap on for fishing, raft trips off then on for swinging etc. Pretty versatile.

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll be curious to hear what others say as well. I'm actually looking at these new wet wading shoes from Korkers: https://korkers.com/products/all-axis-shoe?variant=44417903001907 With these you could switch between whichever Korkers sole you wanted.

Just picked these up at Outdoor Emporium. $114 for the shoes and $50 for the studded felt soles (20% rebate on these). Would have rather gotten them at a local fly shop but there are none in the South end. . EWA didn't show Korkers on their website.

Will report back after some creekin'.

Reactions: ffb