Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Divad

Whitefish
Here I am saying I wasn’t going to build another rod, but alas, I took delivery of this sweet J Green Heritage Trout 7’ 3” 4 weight. Maybe I can get it done by the summer for some creekin’.

View attachment 109736
Cool color, that will make for one nice rod when done 🤘I also respect your timeframe estimate. I build slow and steady, which keeps the hobby enjoyable and full of creativity.

What color wraps are you thinking for the yellow?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cool color, that will make for one nice rod when done 🤘I also respect your timeframe estimate. I build slow and steady, which keeps the hobby enjoyable and full of creativity.

What color wraps are you thinking for the yellow?
I like really simple builds. Was thinking clear wraps, maybe tipped with black or red.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Where are ya'll either getting your pre made grips or high quality cork rings?

I'm having a hard time finding a pre made grip to my liking. Most grips are 6.5"+. I'm looking for a 6" torpedo/bullet style or maybe a ritz and I'm just not finding one. Proof has a cigar style and not sure I'm wanting that. I MAY just go down the path of turning my own, but that's just a whole nother thing I need to learn that I don't necessarily WANT to.

Divad

Whitefish
Natural cork rings from a gal named Marcia on eBay, she’s in Portugal. Less middlemen and her ratings (Extra, Overstock Flor, Flor, Top Flor) are more true to industry standard. I actually just got a shipment today from her, 50 Extra and 25 Overstock Flor. Her Top Flor is quality stuff too! She will custom make you an order if you want to mix and match.

Then for artsy rings I get mine from Mogo’s on eBay or HFF Custom.

I could also ship you some if you want to try the process yourself. I have some random burl rings you could practice a grip on first too. But if you’re not planning on getting into the grip making thing, buying a mandrel/threaded rod/and your time might not be worth it (assuming you have a lathe else you’d have to rig a jig up with a drill too). Proof and GB Fly shop have a few grips to choose from, and you could always shorten them easily. The premades usually do use filler which gives the grips that top quality look but overtime will either need more filler or accept the pits that form.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t mind cork that ages or patinas as some say. Don’t need any cork sealer or whatever. But I do not like cork that seems to degrade quickly after being exposed, and just emulsifies and pits the cork like rotted wood..

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Natural cork rings from a gal named Marcia on eBay, she’s in Portugal. Less middlemen and her ratings (Extra, Overstock Flor, Flor, Top Flor) are more true to industry standard. I actually just got a shipment today from her, 50 Extra and 25 Overstock Flor. Her Top Flor is quality stuff too! She will custom make you an order if you want to mix and match.

Then for artsy rings I get mine from Mogo’s on eBay or HFF Custom.

I could also ship you some if you want to try the process yourself. I have some random burl rings you could practice a grip on first too. But if you’re not planning on getting into the grip making thing, buying a mandrel/threaded rod/and your time might not be worth it (assuming you have a lathe else you’d have to rig a jig up with a drill too). Proof and GB Fly shop have a few grips to choose from, and you could always shorten them easily. The premades usually do use filler which gives the grips that top quality look but overtime will either need more filler or accept the pits that form.

I really, really appreciate that David. I just think it's going to be more expensive/trouble than it's worth to rig a jig for my drill (I don't have a lathe) and I don't necessarily see myself building a TON of rods in the future (I already have 14-15 rods as it is).

I guess the thing I didn't think about was taking a 6.5" grip and just cutting it down to 6".

With that being said, looking at this

or this

or on the more expensive side (I do have a 15% off card)

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with either grips? How have they held up over time? I think I've seen @Wetswinger use the proof grips?

Divad

Whitefish
I think of machining as an art and I’m not for art being copied so I’m going to veer off on a tangent that relates to Proof. His reel seats are direct copies of Joel Lemke’s styles but made overseas in some sweat shop. This sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth and is why I try to steer clear from Proof.

Which, admittedly, is a bummer because he has some cool stuff on the website. I wish he would design his own parts for overseas or at the least work with those companies he copies in someway.

Tangent over.

@mcswny the 1/2” cut would be easy too as you’ll cut right at one of the cork ring joints. Then maybe a light hand sand and redo the hood insert (if it has one). That can be done easily with a dremel and the small sanding wheel.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about the back story on Proofs grips. He says they're made in Portugal where most of the cork is produced. In a sweatshop.? I've tried a few different suppliers and just found they have good grips for the price. The selection is good. I have zero interest in making grips. The Ritz and Bullnose are nice on small weight rods and especially down loading seats. Comfortable in the hand..

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about the back story on Proofs grips. He says they're made in Portugal where most of the cork is produced. In a sweatshop.? I've tried a few different suppliers and just found they have good grips for the price. The selection is good. I have zero interest in making grips. The Ritz and Bullnose are nice on small weight rods and especially down loading seats. Comfortable in the hand..
How do they hold up over time?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
The oldest one I have is 3 yrs old. It's a full wells on my lake rod. Used once a a week year round, it's getting discolored but is solid yet..

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cork comes in different grades, that don't seem to follow any logical pattern. Grade "A", in any other product, is usually good, but in cork, it's pretty crappy. "Flor", and "extra flor" are top grades and very expensive.. "Select" and "extra select" are in between, I usually go with "extra select", as I can get a good result, w/o having to use any filler. Most failures of rod grip cork is from filler poping out. I would never buy a grip, or rod, that has a lot of filler in the cork. As a side note: It might surprise some to know that burled cork, in all its various forms, is generally much less expensive than good quality natural cork.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think of machining as an art and I’m not for art being copied so I’m going to veer off on a tangent that relates to Proof. His reel seats are direct copies of Joel Lemke’s styles but made overseas in some sweat shop. This sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth and is why I try to steer clear from Proof.

Which, admittedly, is a bummer because he has some cool stuff on the website. I wish he would design his own parts for overseas or at the least work with those companies he copies in someway.

Tangent over.

@mcswny the 1/2” cut would be easy too as you’ll cut right at one of the cork ring joints. Then maybe a light hand sand and redo the hood insert (if it has one). That can be done easily with a dremel and the small sanding wheel.

Yeah, that's unfortunate to hear.

I do wish Lemke seats we're easier to get. Specifically the LC14 (downlocking slide band).

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Someone from the fiberglass forum sent over this.
Making me wonder if I should turn my own grip. I do have a suitable drill press.Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 9.34.54 AM.png

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
Took the 7’9” Fast Glass 742 with temporary guide wraps out to test today and boy does it sing. 1/2oz lure can be tossed with distance without effort and the glass bends very nicely. KR Concept guide train showed no issues, no line slap or coiling issues with the butt guide.

Onto wrapping it this weekend!

The blank color is a teal, tempting to do a blue wrap job or go with shades of grey. I worry blue may convolute the look with such a bold blank color.

D83C42AE-076F-483A-93F3-E8DEC3AE9E2C.jpeg

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Took the 7’9” Fast Glass 742 with temporary guide wraps out to test today and boy does it sing. 1/2oz lure can be tossed with distance without effort and the glass bends very nicely. KR Concept guide train showed no issues, no line slap or coiling issues with the butt guide.

Onto wrapping it this weekend!

The blank color is a teal, tempting to do a blue wrap job or go with shades of grey. I worry blue may convolute the look with such a bold blank color.

View attachment 111316

If this is yours in the pic, I think that combo will really pop once you get the finish on it, without overpowering the colour of the blank...Gonna be nice !