The “Purdiest” trout…

Parabola

Steelhead
This is a terrible picture I pulled from an old video. I caught this fishing for steelhead on the grande ronde. I’ve fished this river every year for close to 20 years. This is the first and only bull trout I’ve ever caught there. It was definitely my purdiest.

IMG_3733.jpeg

The picture shows a 23 1/2 inch(measured) approximately 4 to 4 1/2 lb. sea-run cutthroat which I landed Oct. 2008 on a top water skater sand lance pattern. The fish strike the fly like a toilet flush and took off into tidal current. It was well into the backing onto the reel within 1 0 to 15 seconds. I could not slow it down while using a 6 wt. rod and had to pull the anchor of my boat to chase it down. About 10 minutes later I landed it about 1/4 mile from where it was hooked. It was a sea-run cutthroat of a life time and I still remember the whole event 15 years later vividly.

Roger

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 36
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 37

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is that a radio tag of some kind beside the dorsal?
It looks like a Floy tag. It's a piece of solid plastic tubing with numeric or other code information. They may be used in combination with radio tags but usually aren't. Floy tags are most commonly used in population estimation studies.