So I finally bought a boat...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, I finally ended up buying a boat. It's been something of a long journey for me to find something that worked in my budget/skillset/storage-space/local-regulations and wasn't being sold by some sketchy tweaker. I pretty much had to have a 4-stroke outboard because 2-strokes are banned on two of the closest lakes to me (one of which is an awesome bass fishery). I don't have a lot of storage space and we live in an area with a decent amount of petty crime. So I can't leave a bunch of stuff on the boat when it's not being run.

I thought I'd had a couple boats lined up, but they fell through for one reason or another. My budget has gone up and down as we've spent money on other things (house painting, camping trailer). But I finally found a 12ft Duroboat with a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 that a local fellow was selling so he could get a slightly bigger boat that fit his family better. Boat/engine/trailer are all mid 90's vintage.

Good stuff:
  • Boat seems to be in fine shape for its age. A few scrapes and bonks here and there, but nothing major. Transom is solid.
  • Engine started first pull when the guy showed it to me and started again first pull when I took it out on for its first voyage.
  • The 9.9 will plane with two adults in the boat, though not super quickly.
  • At 5'3 wide, it's easy to stand and fish. There are factory floorboards in already, which helps.
  • It's not particularly important, but I like that the boat was made in Seattle. I think Duroboat has moved across the country at this point. But they were a Seattle company for many many years. Also, no rivets.
  • Came with a bimini, so perhaps I can get the lady out with me to read a book while I fish my way around one of the small bass lakes on a summer evening. Also came with an older garmin fish finder with some maps and a mini downrigger. I have never used a downrigger, but I could see making the effort to get a few kokanee at some point.
So-so stuff
  • I do kinda wish it was 14ft. Would make it a little easier to take a couple of kids out at one time to drop bobbers or fish two adults out of. But I'll work around that for as often as it happens, likely I'll be on my own most of the time. And honestly, given that it's been a long while since I've spent much time with boats (and have no boat-launch-ramp experience), having something small and light to learn on is just fine.
  • Mid 90's vintage is still 25+ years old at this point. I know stuff can last if it's taken care of, and this setup seems to be in fine shape. But time comes for us all eventually.
  • The transom slopes downward from the sides making it difficult to put a trolling motor on the back for smaller or electric-only lakes. This is not a big deal long term as I intend to put a bow mounted motor on at some point. But at the moment, I'd have to pull the Yamaha off to put the Minn-Kota on.
  • Bit of surface rust on the fenders etc. Trailer looks solid overall, but nobody loves rust. I'll probably spend some time with a wire wheel and a can of rust-oleum at some point.
Next steps? A few things to fix up real quick. The guy had a tangle of twisted bow/anchor/etc lines that were all from the exact same spool. So I bought some nicer braided lines in different colors to make it easier to know which line to grab. New brass drain plug, as the old one is crapping out. New gas can because the old one apparently has a hole in it. Better chain/lock to secure the outboard. Need to add some scotty mounts and figure out how to organize the little pile of things you want with you even on a small boat. And I need to start learning where the non-ethanol gas stations are.

Overall, I’m pleased so far.

F7698B67-962D-4F4D-B592-5946DD59E0C6.jpeg
IMG_2197fly.jpg

EDIT: Updated photo per @Pink Nighty request here.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Congrats! Looks fun. I'm curious what you paid if you're willing to share.

I have had a 12' riveted aluminum Smokercraft of similar vintage for a few years. I just picked up a Honda 9.9 for it (could NOT find a Yamaha) but it turns out it needs work and I am slow. Once I get it going we should have a race :)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm curious what you paid if you're willing to share.
$2900

Based on what I saw in my general area, I'm satisfied with the price. There were more than a few 12-14ft boats in the ~$2000 range if I could have used a 2 stroke (@Buzzy had one listed in the classifieds here a few months back). And even some solid ones with no motor for ~$1500. And from time to time there were some 12-16ft ones with 10-15hp 4strokes listed in the ~$5k range. But It took a while to find the right combo of 4-stroke + not crappy + not sketchy seller.

Plus, I was looking for at least a mod-V hull because a couple of the lakes around here have a decent amount of boat traffic and are big enough that the wind can kick up. So while I am not planning to be in the middle of that stuff often, I wanted to at least be able to not stress about a flat hull ride if I did want to go trolling or something.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Congrats Josh! Looks like you found a good starter boat. In addition to trolling for kokanee, you might think about chasing their bigger sockeye brethren at Baker Lake.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Great looking boat, and as you pointed out a great way to learn and see what you want in your next/bigger boat. Single-handing it at the ramp can be fun, too.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
That is completely legit.

It was pretty gusty on the test voyage and I didn't want my kid's first boating experience to be me hooking his ear with a bass popper. So I just tossed the baitcaster in there.
A popper is the only appropriate earring for a boy his age, just sayin!

Really stoked for you bud, you and yours are gonna have a lot of fun in that ride.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Looks like a nice boat. Might be older, but looks clean. Congratulations You'll have fun with that.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
What are those floorboards made from? I need to cobble some up to cover the ribs on my boat's floor.