Run Etiquette

Jagosh

Smolt
Interesting timing to stumble into this thread for me. I walked into THE spey clave hole this afternoon and encountered for the first time, spey anglers. Walked right up to the gents at the top and chatted and they fit me and my float gear below them, a fine group, and I move fast to the bottom and out.

Went below the park and one gent was at the top. Damn do you guys work down slow, or so I thought until I read this thread and now know to go ask if he is stationary. That spot is a few hundred yards and damned if I am waiting until he works down. I will go say hello, go as far down as I possibly can, work back up to about 100 yards below him and then pull up my gear. Acceptable?

I’d like to actually like to fish gear with a Spey angler and see how we can work a spot together, would be interesting. My depart d friend Nathan and I could stand on the same rock and work floats and spinners together, even switching rods to continue a good drift.

For those that know me from other places, this is a big leap for me:)

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
I understand and agree with all of the above. A common problem here is that some fishers, despite having been told many times to "go forth and multiply" by other fishers, still think nothing of "squeezing in" between others and casting on top of lines to target fish...IMO. a lack of respect for others. Just wondered if this is a common problem in other areas.
Those are the ones that are used to fishing the floss/snag line. They think everyone "fishes" that way

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Went below the park and one gent was at the top. Damn do you guys work down slow, or so I thought until I read this thread and now know to go ask if he is stationary. That spot is a few hundred yards and damned if I am waiting until he works down. I will go say hello, go as far down as I possibly can, work back up to about 100 yards below him and then pull up my gear. Acceptable?
100 yards? Yeah, that's acceptable to me since the run is ". . . a few hundred yards . . ." long. Generally speaking, I find different gear types in the same run to be a bad fit. So for the most part I don't fish a run being fished by gear types different than mine.

I understand the mentality that goes: It's public water, and I'm fishing it, and fishing it my way, and I don't care who else is fishing it or how they are fishing it. Of course that means that the fishing there devolves to the least common denominator. That usually only works out best for the angler who is the least common denominator. What exactly does that mean? It means that the guy fishing with dynamite or a gillnet will generally have a more enjoyable time than the guys fishing with rod, reel, hook, and line. Or the guy fishing bait walking in amongst a group of anglers working the water with artificial flies, etc.

Landlocked

Steelhead
100 yards? Yeah, that's acceptable to me since the run is ". . . a few hundred yards . . ." long. Generally speaking, I find different gear types in the same run to be a bad fit. So for the most part I don't fish a run being fished by gear types different than mine.

I understand the mentality that goes: It's public water, and I'm fishing it, and fishing it my way, and I don't care who else is fishing it or how they are fishing it. Of course that means that the fishing there devolves to the least common denominator. That usually only works out best for the angler who is the least common denominator. What exactly does that mean? It means that the guy fishing with dynamite or a gillnet will generally have a more enjoyable time than the guys fishing with rod, reel, hook, and line. Or the guy fishing bait walking in amongst a group of anglers working the water with artificial flies, etc.
Last week, fishing in Wa, I floated past a couple of guys who popped in a run 30 yards below me and worked their way up towards me. They pulled a nice 10-12 pound fish out of the meatiest spot on the run. One was carrying a pistol in a chest holster, so I didn’t care to try to make convo for about their lack of run etiquette. As I floated by in my personal watercraft (behind them), Pistol Pete turned around and said “can’t catch steelhead on dead bird feathers”.

skyrise

Steelhead

Got no problem fishing with gear guys. In front, behind or along side. Only ones that it might not work with is guys pulling plugs. But id be willing to try it. Heck hand me a drift rod and I will join them. I just wish I could fish my fly as good over on that far bank that’s 8-10 feet deep with good flow like a drift rig will. the problem is Lack of Opportunity these days with rivers closed down because someone Hates hatchery fish so instead of having just about any river to choose from now we are pushed into fishing 6 or 7 rivers for everyone.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I got lowholed by this morning.
I was working my way down the beach, a super nice tidal current seam of the edge of some submerged rocks. I’ve caught a number of fish there in the past. As I got within 50 yards or so, The Swimmer appeared and made a beeline for the rocks.
To her credit, she said “I hope I don’t scare your fish” as she walked by. 😂
Surprisingly, no perfume scent trail today.
Off came her outer clothes and off she went, porpoising happily right down the middle of the seam.
Next time, I’ll head directly to the rocks rather then working my way down to them. 😉
SF

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I got lowholed by this morning.
I was working my way down the beach, a super nice tidal current seam of the edge of some submerged rocks. I’ve caught a number of fish there in the past. As I got within 50 yards or so, The Swimmer appeared and made a beeline for the rocks.
To her credit, she said “I hope I don’t scare your fish” as she walked by. 😂
Surprisingly, no perfume scent trail today.
Off came her outer clothes and off she went, porpoising happily right down the middle of the seam.
Next time, I’ll head directly to the rocks rather then working my way down to them. 😉
SF
This is really the problem, when you're working your way down to the bucket, and someone steps in and fishes the bucket. I guess the idea is, when things are busy, fish the bucket first.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
This is really the problem, when you're working your way down to the bucket, and someone steps in and fishes the bucket. I guess the idea is, when things are busy, fish the bucket first.
Happened to me this morning. Arrived at an empty run that seems endless, but is best about 100yds from the head. The head holds a seam between the heavy riffle and the bank, maybe 20ft at its widest point but deep and choppy. I decide to fish the head with no competition, and about 5 casts in i see a guy come in and head straight for the juice 100yds below me. I couldnt even be mad, hes a football field away from me and I'm the dummy who wanted to get cute.