Run Etiquette

RCF

Life of the Party
Pro tip: if you get low holed, or encounter someone "owning" a piece of water, simply bust out the whiskey (or drink of their choice - I carry several just for this reason). Offer them a drink, and then another, and then another. Repeat the process until they get black out drunk and pass out on the gravel. Boom, river is all yours as they take a nice nap on the rocks.

View attachment 99914

And make sure you remove all evidence/garbage when you leave...

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
Like @GOTY mentioned, 99% of the time outside of a terminal area, you can come and go as you please, if there is a rig where you want to fish, go somewhere else and come back in a bit. If you fish long enough, you will be corked, and this is what the thread is apparently about. What would @JimTravers¤£a!!Travers do?

20 some years ago, a buddy and I were fishing a long run and hooking chums every 10 casts or so, we were actually fishing for the few silvers rolling out in the seam from us. In walks two spey guys, not a word, start fishing 30' below me, I can't even swing all the way in now. After a few minutes I hook a chum, walked back to gravel bar with rod held high, and as the chum took off down river I high sticked my 11' and flung the dudes hat into the water. He proceeded to get pissed, dropped his gear and came up to have a chat, my buddy above who loves to fight raced downstream and cut him off before he could get to me, and both proceeded to cuss the other out until each reached their maximum vocabulary allotment and that was that

Clam Gun

Just Hatched
I'm like most of you, if someone is in the run, find another run or go drink coffee. In this case since it's close to me I might hop in there just to test out a rod or a new fly pattern or the like. I was curious if anyone thought it was cool to tie up a run while they were present as I've come across several that times. Some of my best days have been when you meet people on the river that are cool as shit and you have a fun day of fishing and etiquette never comes into question.

As far as low holing is concerned, I'm not innocent. The year I learned how to spey cast I was offered work on the Deschutes, mostly because I knew how to row whitewater. I floated up to Grumpys Run (day 2 of the Trout Cr to Maupin section) and Grumpy himself was just getting started at the tippy top of the very long run. Now, If you really wanted to hop in there and fish, you could make a case that there were 3 distinct "sections" here, but I guarantee Grumpy didn't think that. I floated just around the corner and out of site of Grumpy and had my first angler hop out. He stripped out a bunch of line, made one cast and hooked up! After some hooting and whatnot, we landed the fish and released it. About that time my boss floated by and gave me the "look" and the finger twirl as to say "move along". I never saw Grumpy again but I became a much more respectful angler after that.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
ok, so which is most acceptable, the high hole or the low hole?

asking for a friend....
If steelheading, the context of this thread, you have NO "ownership " or "rights" to the water above where you are fishing.

For example, you show up on a run on the Deschutes and no one is around. You jump in mid way down the run where the bucket is. You, in doing that, forfeit the first rights to the run above you should someone show up there. The run below you however is as always all yours.

RCF

Life of the Party
Guess I have been lucky because I rarely see other fishermen. Partly due to the fact I quit steelheading around the turn of the century and in part I fish Idaho and Western Montana where there are fewer fishermen. When I do encounter them, I give lots of space or leave.

I was fishing the Met in the 80's and walked to a nice run. A fly fisherman was there so I sat and watched him fish. I picked up a few pointers by watching - he was a good fly fisherman. He went downstream to the next run and I fished the one he just left. I fished it quicker and came up on him fishing. I asked if I could pass him by and fish the next run downstream. He asked why I watched him and I told him why. He said go ahead and fish the next one. We leap-frogged runs the rest of the day. Never got in each others way. At one point he watched me fish. He came up to me and asked if he could provide some more pointers on how I could improve my chances. Heck Ya! I thanked him and went back to my vehicle. A little bit later I figured out who he was. A Pro-QB with a CA. team that lived in the area.

I saw him fishing a couple of days later. I waved and we proceeded leap-frogging again. Nice guy and we respected each others space.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would like to know everyone's opinion about run etiquette. I live on a popular run on the Clackamas River (I know boo hoo) and I often show up and there are already folks fishing. I am able to fish both sides of the river as I have a little pack raft and I can blow it up and zip across in a few min. Several times I have showed up and have either been told "we have the run for the day" or "I already fished through, my friend is going to fish through, and then I am going to fish through and then you can fish through after that" (lol) or the best one was when Dustin Chromers and I ferried across in my canoe and we were paid a visit by the one and only Jeff Hickman who told us we were messing with his program and we could have the run in the evening but he needed to fish it in the morning with his clients.
So what do you all think? Should I ask to be the next angler through the run or do I need to call the clubhouse for a tee-time?
The bigger question is with all the antics Hickman has pulled with people I know how has he not been hit in the face? He definitely hasn't cause he acts ignorant of even the outside possibility of it. How is this possible?

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
It's simple and it's not opinion.
First one to the run gets to fish the run first.
If someone is there when you arrive you can start at the top of the run and fish behind then without their permission..
If you can cross the river and fish different water than they are fishing you can do so without permission. However if your casting to the same water as them, then again only fish behind them.

There is no distance at which it ok to go below another angler, no matter how crowded the river is. Is a run is a mile long the first angler there gets first dibs at the whole thing.. it is not ok to go in below them. If you ask to go in bellow someone go at least 400 yards below them, yes give them a quarter mile that is in no way excessive.

If you get their first the run from where you are downstream is yours. The river above you belongs to whoever shows up next.
You can fish as slow as you want until another angler shows up, at which time you become obligated to share the run by casting and stepping your way down the run.(even if you are nymphing) you don't get to camp in one spot ) that's being an jerk.
When you get to the bottom you are free to walk back to the top and fish it again behind any other anglers who showed up.

Any guide who's program is to fish one run all morning rotating anglers through it multiple times is guiding a river not worth his clients money to fish in my opinion.

I personally cannot imagine paying money to fish the Clackamas but that's just me..

These have been the rules for sharing the water for decades. It's all very common sense..
My sentiments as well and paying to fish the Clackamas is kind of like paying to fish the Skykomish or Snoqualmie.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My sentiments as well and paying to fish the Clackamas is kind of like paying to fish the Skykomish or Snoqualmie.

I can see it. It's a great river. Intimidating for some to row. Local knowledge is helpful. And frankly it's pretty productive considering the state of affairs these days. It's one of the few places you can get spring kings on a fly with relative ease and no plane ticket.

All in all it's an amazing river other than those pesky damaging hatchery fish Hickman is always bitching and bonking about. He threw one up to my buddy on a drive by. He was limited with his client but wanted to keep fishing. My buddy was like, thanks? Now I'm limited, wtf. He gave the fish back a few days later but that is yet another Hickman story for another time.

wetline dave

Steelhead
I have kind of a different take on fishing runs. If I am first in and someone shows up and it is a kind of long run, a couple of hundred yards or so I will say like why don't you drop in about half way down and if I catch up t6o you I will leap frog and we can work our way down the river this way, leap frogging if that works for you.

No one has exclusive rights and it is easier to share than antagonize. Me first is fine and farir but don't get greedy and expect an entire run is your excluslive right.

Dave

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A question for those beach fishing for coho: What's the general (unwritten, of course) rule of thumb in your area regarding distance between fishers, casting into the same fish, wading into someone's swing, and, my personal gripe: casting on top of someone's line, especially their retrieve. I'm often astounded by , what I think is, the ignorance of some. Am I expecting too much? What's the rule where you are?

Divad

Whitefish
A question for those beach fishing for coho: What's the general (unwritten, of course) rule of thumb in your area regarding distance between fishers, casting into the same fish, wading into someone's swing, and, my personal gripe: casting on top of someone's line, especially their retrieve. I'm often astounded by , what I think is, the ignorance of some. Am I expecting too much? What's the rule where you are?
I think it depends on which beach, some of the north sound beaches get crowded as frig where a tangle may happen. No false casts is an obvious at tight beaches. Never cast on someone else's line, even the Hood scum dont do that. A no no on wading into someone's swing, unless, as I've seen folks do, hog a bunch of beach at a popular spot. Then I usually inform them and hope they make the best decision on their own. Each angler has an imaginary column to play with, and that column can widen or shorten depending on the amount of ppl at the beach and size of it. Sometimes if I tangle repeatedly with someone and after asking who wants to unhook it, I remind them that we both aren't fishing if we are tangled.

To be honest, the worst are the guys float fishing herring. They'll run that bobber right into other folks columns. The only benefit there is if you strip near it and hook a fish, you instantly make a friend.

flybill

Life of the Party
If you know them.. 10' downstream of them is good.. if not just fall in behind them.. 🤣

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Depends on the amount of people at the beach. My tip would be get there first and get your spot. If people start snuggling up buzz your clouser by their ear hole a couple times.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had an interesting situation related to etiquette. I was standing above and across the river from a popular run looking for fish. It's a real popular spot for scouting. There were 2 people fishing it; looked like a guide and a client. I was probably 50-75yards from them and a good 20-25ft above them. I spent about 30 seconds staring at the water around them when one of them (pretty sure it was the client); yelled something to the effect, "You don't see me staring at you do you?". I just pointed at my ears like I couldn't hear him, walked away and drove further up river.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Let's be honest: there's not many better feelings in steelheading than sticking a fish behind a low holer.

Last week we anchored at the top of the run. Buddy got out to start fishing from the riffle to work his way all the way down the bar. Fifteen min later a dude walks out from the woods, makes zero eye contact, and drops in right below my buddy. Classic low hole behavior. We both stick our arms up but don't confront him or anything. Another fifteen min goes by and I jump in at the top.

When I hooked up I let out the most obnoxious yell possible to make sure that low holer heard. Yelled again the second time I saw my backing. Funny enough he made eye contact both times 🤔🤔
That's awesome, I usually get low holed AFTER I hook a fish..

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

As others have said, it does kind of depend on the beach. That said, I think there are a few universal rules regardless of beach. Try not to cast over others line (apologize if you do…random wind gusts happen) and be safe when it comes to distance between you and others if you are the one stepping in. If someone steps in after you, it’s kind of on them to ensure they leave a safe distance to a fly caster. That said, kindly let them know they may be in the danger zone. As a fly fisherman, also watch your back cast. People will walk into it. Other fisherman, beach combers and walkers. Generally they are not being assholes. Many don’t know the distance a fly line travels on a back cast. Take a peak back on crowded beaches on occasion. Also, fish the water not necessarily the window in front of you. On some beaches, due to current, the guy next to you will be casting directly in front of you and you be casting directly in front of the person next to you. Observe for a bit before you step in and figure out the rhythm. Last, don’t let fomo cause you to make a bad decision. Sections of beaches get hot sometimes, rips move, etc.. Don’t shoehorn your way in if there is no room and the fishing gets hot somewhere you are not standing. Sometimes you’re there and sometimes you are not.

In the end you’ll make mistakes. I know I did. Almost every time it was due to inexperience and was resolved with me apologizing and explaining my ignorance. I’ve actually met some cool folks I am quite fond of through my mistakes :).

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I understand and agree with all of the above. A common problem here is that some fishers, despite having been told many times to "go forth and multiply" by other fishers, still think nothing of "squeezing in" between others and casting on top of lines to target fish...IMO. a lack of respect for others. Just wondered if this is a common problem in other areas.

It can be an issue for sure on coho beaches but IMO, a little more tolerated because the dynamic is so different. Especially on big, popular, easily accessible public beaches.

IMO, the bigger issue with beaches in PS is multiple guys crowding a small, occupied beach when SRC fishing. SRC don’t migrate the same way salmon do so moving to find them is necessary versus waiting for them to move to you. If 3 fisherman show up 10 minutes after I started on a stretch of public beach less than a seventy five yards long, it kills that spot for me most times.