Riverstick Custom Wading Staffs

Otter

Steelhead
Just received my second wading staff from Herkileez.

I lost the first staff two weeks ago wading in a river. The cheap carabiner I used to attach the staff to the holster somehow opened up and, by the time I realized, it was long gone. Really hated to lose it… it’s been great for several years and I estimate it had several hundreds of miles on it before I lost it.

I’m hoping to get 1000 miles on the new one and to ensure it doesn’t come loose, I’ve secured it with 22KN auto-locking heavy duty carabiners…. Overkill? Perhaps, but I think they look pretty cool….

Thnks Herkileez

View attachment 28248
CastN2trees, would you be able to post a photo of your cord arrangement, or just describe it in words? I have vision issues, and can't quite follow the yellow lines!
Your knots look very good, and those are very cool 'biners!

castsN2trees

The fish are calling...
Forum Supporter
CastN2trees, would you be able to post a photo of your cord arrangement, or just describe it in words? I have vision issues, and can't quite follow the yellow lines!
Gladly… I’ll take photos and post tomorrow

castsN2trees

The fish are calling...
Forum Supporter
Hey Otter:

The cord I use is a paracord daisy chain. I use Uni-to-Uni knots, each section is 6” long… 3 total sections so the total length is 18”… this gives me enough room to maneuver with the staff, and it isn’t too long so I can easily retrieve the staff if I drop it…

Hope this helps…

7FC468AA-A946-4398-903D-BAD42BD72E58.jpegA77FE37E-20C2-4407-86CA-1EA5F6847846.jpeg

Otter

Steelhead
Casts, thanks so much for taking the time to make and post those photos and details. That's a clever idea to make those three loops, so you can clip them together when walking to and from the river.
Those Riverstick staffs are the best, eh?

Sagebrush

Smolt
I just want to give a shout out to Herkileez and for the wading staff he makes. Sale went smoothly and the product arrived within about a week after ordering. I used it for the first time on the Metolius this last weekend and it worked great. Very sturdy, unfolds easily and the holster is heavy duty. Really had no idea how helpful a wading staff would be until I used this.

Al_Neves

Just Hatched
I have interest in a one piece version, no hand strap, no holster, attachment ring comes off the top. The handle becomes a line catch while swinging for steelhead, so if the ring comes off the top it cannot wrap around.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Use a valve stem for a tubeless tire.Herkileez gave me thi suggestion and it works great.
I prefer rubber tips, as steel are quite noisy, and was trying to imagine a rubber tip that would be flush with the edges of the staff. A tire valve stem caught my eye and, after experimenting, I found it works very well (TR413 size). I insert a 3/4" length of (dishwasher) hose (to 1/4" below flush), then tap the valve stem in. It stays firmly in place (needing pliers to pull out), is very durable, having a shock absorbing effect, and doesn't hang up....In fact, I don't think I could design a better rubber insert. It's also very inexpensive, at approx $1.50 ea, and fits with my interest in keeping the staff easily self-maintainable with off-the-shelf components. cmann886 gave it an independent test, and reported back that it also worked well for him (Thanks Cal !)

** Update: NAPA auto parts has bulk TR413 size valve stems for $1 ea and 5/8" rubber fuel line hose for $1/ft.

tire valve tip.jpg

Last edited:

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I prefer rubber tips, as steel are quite noisy, and was trying to imagine a rubber tip that would be flush with the edges of the staff. A tire valve stem caught my eye and, after experimenting, I found it works very well (TR413 size). I insert a 3/4" length of (dishwasher) hose (to 1/4" below flush), then tap the valve stem in. It stays firmly in place (needing pliers to pull out), is very durable, having a shock absorbing effect, and doesn't hang up....In fact, I don't think I could design a better rubber insert. It's also very inexpensive, at approx $1.50 ea, and fits with my interest in keeping the staff easily self-maintainable with off-the-shelf components. cmann886 gave it an independent test, and reported back that it also worked well for him (Thanks Cal !)

View attachment 63856
Awesome idea - love that wading staff and this will definitely be a value add!

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Finally got some busy work out of the way and am ready to do another round of staffs, custom-built to your preferred length...
Please pm for details.
I finally tried out my new wading staff from Herkileez today. What an improvement to my confidence and wading ability. Should have started using this years ago! Thanks for an amazing product 😃

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I finally tried out my new wading staff from Herkileez today. What an improvement to my confidence and wading ability. Should have started using this years ago! Thanks for an amazing product 😃
You're welcome Bill...Glad you're happty with it !

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have another round of staffs ready to be custom-built to your preferred length.
Please pm for details.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wondering what gift to buy for a friend (or yourself 😁 ) this Xmas? I have another round of staffs ready to be built to your length preferrence...(Or, I can recommend to suit your height)
Price is $110 + $20 shipping (in USA) = $130 usd.

Please pm for details.