Riverstick Custom Wading Staffs

Skimr

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I like mine a lot. Did wear thru the first rubber tip after 8 days of heavy use. Put on the spare. After I got home bought more rubber tips and washers to go inside as a buffer (as recommended). Don’t take this as a complaint, just as a be prepared and have back up tips. I really really like the sturdiness of this staff.

cedarslug

Steelhead
Purchased a staff a few years ago, and it's a must have if you fish summer's high flows. Wouldn't wade without one.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling...
Forum Supporter
Just received my second wading staff from Herkileez.

I lost the first staff two weeks ago wading in a river. The cheap carabiner I used to attach the staff to the holster somehow opened up and, by the time I realized, it was long gone. Really hated to lose it… it’s been great for several years and I estimate it had several hundreds of miles on it before I lost it.

I’m hoping to get 1000 miles on the new one and to ensure it doesn’t come loose, I’ve secured it with 22KN auto-locking heavy duty carabiners…. Overkill? Perhaps, but I think they look pretty cool….

Thnks Herkileez

3D2DC7AF-79AE-4E82-A494-D17E35375CDF.jpeg

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like mine a lot. Did wear thru the first rubber tip after 8 days of heavy use. Put on the spare. After I got home bought more rubber tips and washers to go inside as a buffer (as recommended). Don’t take this as a complaint, just as a be prepared and have back up tips. I really really like the sturdiness of this staff.
I also go through a few tips per year, but much prefer the quiet vs a steel tip, which are quite noisy. A pkg of four 3/4" rubber chair leg tips are about $4 at Home Depot. I consider them a necessary wear item, and always carry a spare with washer.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I may have to check this staff out one day
Definitely worth it! I have two and bought one for my son. Used the one with the rubbery tip on the Deschutes last week. Opening day for steelhead was Monday and the wading staff with felt boots kept me wading confidently. I turned 65 in early August and have finally committed to using the wading staff. Makes a big difference.

Skimr

Smolt
Forum Supporter
@Brute - it’s a great staff. My Simms is now my backup. It doesn’t flex like some of the thinner staffs and provides great support both in water and on rocky ground

headduck

Steelhead
If you go max length and find it too long after use... pretty easy to trim using basic tools or does that upset inserts?

Thx.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you go max length and find it too long after use... pretty easy to trim using basic tools or does that upset inserts?

Thx.
i usually recommend it be to ctr of chest, to give you some reach w/o being overlong. If the staff is too long, you'll find you need to constantly keep your elbow raised, which can cause shoulder fatigue. If you'd like to try a few inches longer, I can build it with the extra length in the lower section, so you can just trim it, if you decide later, w/o having to disassemble the staff.
Having said that, there's no "absolute" correct length...it's whatever you're comfortable with...or used to. I normally use 53", but once took my wife's 48" staff, and used it w/ no problems...It's not like we're tuning a piano....;)

skyrise

Steelhead
How are they held together when walking (folded up of course) ? My concern is that it seems like I’m always trying to get through brush & trees on a trail to and from the water. thanks.

Reactions: BCO

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How are they held together when walking (folded up of course) ? My concern is that it seems like I’m always trying to get through brush & trees on a trail to and from the water. thanks.
It comes with a hammer loop holster, which keeps it contained, yet allows the staff to be easily deployed/re-holstered with one hand.

s 9.jpg

headduck

Steelhead
They are super stout. I'm still breaking it in but wouldnt hesitate to put a hurtin on it.

Seems like the hammer holster could slip onto a bag strap too.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I bought a Riverstick a few years ago. It is one of the best fishing purchases I ever made. I just never liked the supplied "hammer hanger" belt holder and had a local canvass shop make up a sleeve out of ballistic nylon. I had D rings and a belt loop added. The whole deal was about $ 20. For me, it is much more comfortable.20221110_131249.jpg20221110_131235.jpg