PWM

Fishinbeatsworkin

Just Hatched
I'm glad Ronbow started this thread. I had the thread from the other place bookmarked and just received my PWM yesterday. I ordered 2 in case I messed it up. The one I ordered is more like Ive's but I like the sleeker design of Mark & WW's. Haven't assembled it yet as I need to get the connectors but looking forward to trying it out in May. I built a battery box a couple years ago based on several of your designs and so far it works perfectly. Hopefully the PWM will too. I don't post much but i like tinkering around with what I learn from all of you

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The package arrived this morning.
Here's what they look like coming out of the bubble wrap.
IMG_20220326_094423754.jpgIMG_20220326_094445994.jpg

A little careful prying with the small blade of my pocket knife and the came apart to expose the inside.
IMG_20220326_094513480.jpg

There are knock outs on one end to place the on/off switch and the adjustment knob. But not for the % meter. Thinking I would not really need the % meter, I just unplugged it from the unit and set it aside in case I change my mind.
IMG_20220326_095940193.jpgIMG_20220326_095950288.jpg

I think I can use this thing as is and keep it pretty sheltered in one of my pontoon pouches. That won't work in an all day downpour or a real gully washer but I don't see myself fishing lakes in those conditions. Being retired? I can wait for another day.

I also ordered a couple of these:
IMG_20220326_130906576.jpg

I like these wires! Nice and supple and as long as you keep track of which ends you use where, red will go to red every time. They are a tight fit so a little electrical grease will be helpful. So I just need to cut the wires, attach the ends and splice into my trolling motor cable, then hook it all up for a test run!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The package arrived this morning.
Here's what they look like coming out of the bubble wrap.
View attachment 9882View attachment 9883

A little careful prying with the small blade of my pocket knife and the came apart to expose the inside.
View attachment 9884

There are knock outs on one end to place the on/off switch and the adjustment knob. But not for the % meter. Thinking I would not really need the % meter, I just unplugged it from the unit and set it aside in case I change my mind.
View attachment 9885View attachment 9886

I think I can use this thing as is and keep it pretty sheltered in one of my pontoon pouches. That won't work in an all day downpour or a real gully washer but I don't see myself fishing lakes in those conditions. Being retired? I can wait for another day.

I also ordered a couple of these:
View attachment 9887

I like these wires! Nice and supple and as long as you keep track of which ends you use where, red will go to red every time. They are a tight fit so a little electrical grease will be helpful. So I just need to cut the wires, attach the ends and splice into my trolling motor cable, then hook it all up for a test run!
I got the same unit delivered today and was just looking at how to split the case. I plan on mounting the switches in the factory case like you did but need to figure out a way to mount the percent meter. I think it would be useful in determining a consistent speed if trolling with it.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
.......this is what hat when everyone goes to bed, and I stay up drinking whiskey. Enjoy your new PWM controller!

Last edited:

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
I got the same unit delivered today and was just looking at how to split the case. I plan on mounting the switches in the factory case like you did but need to figure out a way to mount the percent meter. I think it would be useful in determining a consistent speed if trolling with it.
Isn’t the meter mounted in the case?
Mine was mounted next to the power and motor terminals.

ICQUANZX DC Brush Motor Speed Controller DC10-55V Forward Reverse with Digital Display&Fan Inside 40A-60A $21.99​

B35F8B1F-1CE2-41A7-AFE1-3771D60A2B21.jpeg

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
As far as speed, I think the variables of wind and waves will affect that. I usually gauge my speed by watching objects in the water.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I don't know much about these motor controllers, but I do know a bit about PWM, and motor windings and coils. If these units are truly PWM generating units, the I/O of PWM discharges some crazy voltages to ground when the power is dropped.
This can have adverse effects on electronic components, ie: fish finders, etc... Also, motors especially DC don't like I/O current. A diode allowing the ground discharge current to be redirected back in the windings of the motor will improve performance, protect other electrical components, and improve motor life. In a nutshell, diode installed between negative and positive, allowing discharge current to flow from negative to positive flattens the I/O sine wave.
I wish I knew what all of that meant.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Got it all wired up and tested out in the shed.
IMG_20220327_094851024.jpg
IMG_20220327_094928168.jpg

About those wires I bought. They are aluminum, and at 10 gauge too thick for some of the connectors. By trimming half the strands and using heat shrink I managed to get them to work.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Isn’t the meter mounted in the case?
No, it's free floating.
Got it all wired up and tested out in the shed.
View attachment 10008
View attachment 10010

About those wires I bought. They are aluminum, and at 10 gauge too thick for some of the connectors. By trimming half the strands and using heat shrink I managed to get them to work.
You're ahead of me... I mounted the percent meter in about the only available space inside of the enclosure.
IMG-5196.jpg

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What fun!
Looks like the manufacturers are listening and upping the game with the "enclosures".
These are nice looking kits and installations.
Way to go folks!
Will have to schedule some PWM races.....

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What does the meter measure exactly, and how is that useful?

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Matt, measures % output level from PWM to TM. When I had one of those that worked, briefly, the propeller would turn at about 25%, but I could back it down to 10% and the prop would just rotate slowly. Kinda cool. And at 100%, you are at full throttle. Remember, you always set the TM at its highest speed level so the PWM does all the controlling.

And this measures out level, not speed, but you can start to get the feel of where you want it to best attract Mr. Trout. I now just watch the speed on the Garmin Striker 4 via GPS. But I don't troll much either.....

Chadk

Life of the Party
So my PWM got the fever. Or, actually, had it a while back and finally started to die. We had it out this weekend and noticed it would only run on full speed. Would go forward and reverse, but only the highest setting. So yesterday I pulled it apart for first time (I bought it with my kayak and never opened up the PWM box), and found quite a mess. Wires clearly burned and a few reduced to a powder on the inside. I recall last summer on a hot day, we kayaked quite a distance at or near full speed. I could feel the box heat up a LOT. The box had no ventilation, but was water tight. Pros and cons I guess. Anyway, I cut out all the bad wiring and was back up and running in 10 minutes.

Advice - don't overlook the need for a fan and ventilation. Protect from water, but also overheating. And open and inspect now and then to catch any issues early...

Now I'm considering buying one like the ones posted above. Now that I've opened it up, I'm not convinced it is actually a PWM. Too small and seems more like just the original throttle controls in the motor moved to be accessible from the seat.

cdnred

Life of the Party
No, it's free floating.

You're ahead of me... I mounted the percent meter in about the only available space inside of the enclosure.
View attachment 10021
Late to the game. I bought a Minn Kota 34lb 36in trolling motor powered by a LifePO4 12v 40ah battery so I'm looking at extending my battery run time by using this PWM setup..

You bought the same PWM that @_WW_ bought, correct..? Was there a knock out on the side for mounting the percent meter in like there was for the on/off switch and the adjustment knob..? Looks like a nice clean setup but I'm sure it still needs some water protection for keeping things dry. With the built in fan, I assume the mounting container will still require to be vented for heat dissipation correct. What type of container did you use for mounting your PWM in, anything special..?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Late to the game. I bought a Minn Kota 34lb 36in trolling motor powered by a LifePO4 12v 40ah battery so I'm looking at extending my battery run time by using this PWM setup..

You bought the same PWM that @_WW_ bought, correct..? Was there a knock out on the side for mounting the percent meter in like there was for the on/off switch and the adjustment knob..? Looks like a nice clean setup but I'm sure it still needs some water protection for keeping things dry. With the built in fan, I assume the mounting container will still require to be vented for heat dissipation correct. What type of container did you use for mounting your PWM in, anything ofspecial..?
Unfortunately, I’m in the hospital for at least a couple of weeks so things are on hold.That said, I cut the hole for the percentage meter. It doesn’t have a flange like the other two so I used some UV resin followed by clear silicone on the inside.
My plan is to mount it with Velcro to the face of the seat pedestal on my Spring Creek Pram. I found a 5 pin, 10 gauge connector so can easily unplug it when not in use or in the event of rain. If that becomes a pain I can always go the vented box route.