PWM

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hi folks

There is interest in a PWM thread, so here goes.

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation. Basically you can vary speed on a trolling motor by changing the voltage. And most motors do this with several settings, like three forward and two reverse settings. Some motors have a fully variable throttle, like the Minn Kota Maximizer, and this is basically a PWM.

So a PWM increases or decreases the voltage in a clever way: it turns the power on, and turns the power off, modulation. So with the power on say, half the time, and off half the time, you are at half speed. Doesn't seem like this would work, except than you can through the wizardry of electronics do this really really fast, width, so that the motor just thinks it is getting half power all the time. Or 1/10th power width and so on. The key is to modulate through a potentiometer, a twist dial that goes from off, to on, and then almost infinitely variable up to full power.

I am sure there are engineers and techy folks that will say blow holes in all this, but it does work.

So you need this PWM thing and you can but them commercially. but they are pricy. And you can instead have the fun of building your own. Components are about $45 including the unit, connectors and wires. And they change constantly on line, but if you look close, I think they all come from one or two factories in China. Big consideration is make sure that the unit has amp capacity to run a TM, like min 30 amp, 60 better. A lot of these units are designed for small stuff like model airplanes, or something without a motor. Here is what mine looks like, it is a 60 amp unit:

PWM 1.jpg

This is a simple one with just on/off variable speed. There are units that also have a rocker switch for forward and reverse and an output LED meter. I went through two of those with issues and settled on a much more robust unit; bigger wires, better heat sink, seems more reliable. Not any difference in cost really.

"Going through" means they failed. Why did they fail? Let me count the ways, noting that these things have really tiny wires and exposed components. One, they really don't like to get wet. Two, the wires are really easy to break, and on some really hard to solder, think aluminum wires. Three, they can get hot which can either open a thermocouple (not too bad), or melt something, bad. Four, touch the wrong things, and they short out = dead.

I found there was too much going on with the rocker switch LED units. Too easy to fail so I went with current unit. I also added a small computer fan to keep it cool. No issues since.

Wire this up #10 silicone wires, so that the output is connected to your TM, and the input to your battery. A fuse is not a bad idea, to match your TM.

Here is another pix of all together:

PWM 3.jpg

I may go to more Anderson or Minn Kota connectors to eliminate the alligator clips that do like to play with anchor line and fly line. I leave the TM cable in bottom of boat, takes seconds to connect. See other LiFePo4 thread about battery.

There is a lot going on here and would be happy to answer any questions or assist.

Tight Lines, Ron

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd like to build one but would prefer a controller with the forward/reverse and digital read out options for my 30# thrust Minnkota w/a 30 Amp max draw.
Seems like every one I search for has crap reviews, does anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I'd like to build one but would prefer a controller with the forward/reverse and digital read out options for my 30# thrust Minnkota w/a 30 Amp max draw.
Seems like every one I search for has crap reviews, does anyone have suggestions?
Kind of what I was seeing too. I'm thinking I'll go for the simpler unit.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Can you post a pic of where the fan is mounted? And how do you provide ventilation?
Almost looks like a small black fan on the side opposite the wire holes in the first pic. Would assume this is also where the ventilation is. Of course, then I have questions about water proofness...

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Buy two...

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yes, that is the fan on the lower area. I should show the hole, I cut in same pattern as fan lattice. Sort of like a doily. But I digress...
Ventilation is in by the wire opening, out by the fan, on opposite side of box. Fan is wired to PWM output, so is variable speed based on load.
No, the box is not good to 5 meters. But then again, I don't fish when it is raining and try not to splash it. Yes a possible issue but ventilation outweighs waterproofness.

On LED, I just watch speed on the Garmin Striker 4 so don't worry about it. Did have the rocker switch LED units (2) and both failed on the water. One overheated and stopped, but a reboot after cooling resumed operation. Each just died after maybe five to ten days.
It would be a good idea to have a more robust housing and be careful to mount things carefully, and securely so the shorts and broken wire issue can be minimized.
But it is such fun ..."absolutly nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats."
Ron

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Buy two...
I was thinking just that. I'd gladly pay a little more for dependability but many of them look like they come from the same factory.
With my luck it would crap out when I'm three miles downwind of the launch so I'm thinking connectors to easily bypass it in the event of a problem.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was thinking just that. I'd gladly pay a little more for dependability but many of them look like they come from the same factory.
With my luck it would crap out when I'm three miles downwind of the launch so I'm thinking connectors to easily bypass it in the event of a problem.
Check out my pics on the LiFe battery thread. A simple and foolproof way to make quick connections.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Check out my pics on the LiFe battery thread. A simple and foolproof way to make quick connections.
Thanks, I already have the Anderson connectors from my trolling motor to the battery so would plan on just adding another pair.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm still wading through crap controller reviews looking for a decent one from 60 -100 amps that has variable speed, an off/forward/reverse switch and digital readout with little or no luck.
In watching videos, I've seen it mentioned that it screws up depthfinder readings if connected to the same 12 volt source. Has anyone experienced this?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I'm still wading through crap controller reviews looking for a decent one from 60 -100 amps that has variable speed, an off/forward/reverse switch and digital readout with little or no luck.
In watching videos, I've seen it mentioned that it screws up depthfinder readings if connected to the same 12 volt source. Has anyone experienced this?
I don't know about the depthfinder mess up, but I might have found a PWM for you. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll post a link to it.

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Use separate battery for sonar. All contained unit can use on boats, frameless pontoon, and fat cat.

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Ok I pulled the trigger on this:
And as Ive suggested, I ordered two. :)
Very similar to the one I ordered and just completed putting together 18 minutes ago.
I am not very mechanically inclined so it took me a couple weeks to get the rest of my parts with the marine heat shrink fittings and crimper tool. The heat shrink fittings came in a 3 pack and of course I needed 4 of everything unless I wanted a 25 pack.
345CB4C8-18E0-4E2C-819A-109B6D638AD8.jpegC2DEBA45-B91E-4513-8EA8-A7463A720935.jpegCF7E25D4-7806-4A45-B078-F958EF21B2C5.jpegBC6CF2A2-7E4F-4AA4-9195-AC8538547F83.jpeg

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Oh, and my first order was delivered to the wrong house, so Amazon had to send out another which delayed my project by a few days. Good luck and have fun with your build.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Please note: "Built in heat dissipating fan, not easy to fever."

Not having to worry about a "fever" should be a huge relief!
That's why I ordered two. Now I'm doubly protected!
I wonder what translator program they're using?