PWM

cdnred

Life of the Party
Unfortunately, I’m in the hospital for at least a couple of weeks so things are on hold.That said, I cut the hole for the percentage meter. It doesn’t have a flange like the other two so I used some UV resin followed by clear silicone on the inside.
My plan is to mount it with Velcro to the face of the seat pedestal on my Spring Creek Pram. I found a 5 pin, 10 gauge connector so can easily unplug it when not in use or in the event of rain. If that becomes a pain I can always go the vented box route.
Thanks for the speedy reply and I hope that you come out of the hospital better then you went it. It's no fun being locked up in the hospital when everyone else is out finally starting to enjoy life after this pandemic..

Wishing you a speedy recovery..
Helmuth

Chucker

Steelhead
Unfortunately, I’m in the hospital for at least a couple of weeks so things are on hold.That said, I cut the hole for the percentage meter. It doesn’t have a flange like the other two so I used some UV resin followed by clear silicone on the inside.
Be careful using silicone around electronics, especially inside a box. A lot of silicone uses acetic acid as a solvent, and the vapor released as it cures can wreck your components.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Be careful using silicone around electronics, especially inside a box. A lot of silicone uses acetic acid as a solvent, and the vapor released as it cures can wreck your components.
Thanks for the warning...I'll let you know how it worked out.:unsure::)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Anything in particular you're wondering about. I probably won't use mine until I'm in BC in a couple of weeks.
Mostly curious how the $20 controllers are working. If they are overheating, etc.

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just ran mine for three days in EW. No issues at all. Flawless performance. Except for running over a fly line. Whoa, thought it was a BIG FISH the way the reel was singing.....

This unit is variable speed only, and I did install a cooling fan.

Also of interest, the 36ah LiFePo4 battery ran for all three days, and charged back up in 20 minutes. This with my new Water Snake 24# TM. Super little unit at 6 pounds. But only has F/R and two speeds. Add a PWM and all is good. Also TM has a large "nut" holding on the prop. Handy in the aforementioned fake big fish encounter....🙄

Ron

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
To more experienced users: how has it been adjusting to steering with one hand, and changing speed with another? I’m not sure how that’s going to work for me. Especially if I want to troll a fly.

But I finally got my PWM wired up and tested. I even made a janky water resistant lid out of a takeout container. It’s not super functional inasmuch as its hard to turn the knob when it’s in there, so it’s more of a “just in case” kind of thing. I also need to mount the meter...or not. Maybe I’ll just remove it. I am still not sure if it will really be useful. It seems like I can just go by feel.

80B425EA-4CC7-4732-9AB1-72C4C35D9BB4.jpegC8090617-0F98-44B1-AC65-915FF1DC2839.jpeg80396A9F-28F0-47AE-AD9C-334E932E6206.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The maiden voyage of my PWM went well. I used it most of the day and it did seem to preserve battery power. By the end of the day, I disconnected it and went back to controlling speed and tiller with one hand like normal (no PWM), which is easier and more natural to me. I’m not sure how much I will use the thing, to be honest. I can see using it for infinite speed variability control, especially a super slow troll. I don’t do that too much. I can also see using it on a multi day trip where the battery can’t be charged overnight. I’ve never done a trip like that. It was a fun little project that distracted me from other stuff like yard work. I would like to maybe make a better case and try to get the control knob on the top like @Ronbow did. I’d probably get more bang for my buck out of upgrading my battery, but that’s a different level of bucks.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I didn’t solder my fittings. And I ripped one right out unloading the battery. Doh! I’ll try to find my soldering iron and solder the rebuild.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The maiden voyage of my PWM went well. I used it most of the day and it did seem to preserve battery power. By the end of the day, I disconnected it and went back to controlling speed and tiller with one hand like normal (no PWM), which is easier and more natural to me. I’m not sure how much I will use the thing, to be honest. I can see using it for infinite speed variability control, especially a super slow troll. I don’t do that too much. I can also see using it on a multi day trip where the battery can’t be charged overnight. I’ve never done a trip like that. It was a fun little project that distracted me from other stuff like yard work. I would like to maybe make a better case and try to get the control knob on the top like @Ronbow did. I’d probably get more bang for my buck out of upgrading my battery, but that’s a different level of bucks.
I use my trolling motor on my pontoon boat. I've turned the head around so I can troll backwards. I set it straight and steer with my fins. Leaving Wed. for BC and will put mine to the test.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
To more experienced users: how has it been adjusting to steering with one hand, and changing speed with another? I’m not sure how that’s going to work for me. Especially if I want to troll a fly.

But I finally got my PWM wired up and tested. I even made a janky water resistant lid out of a takeout container. It’s not super functional inasmuch as its hard to turn the knob when it’s in there, so it’s more of a “just in case” kind of thing. I also need to mount the meter...or not. Maybe I’ll just remove it. I am still not sure if it will really be useful. It seems like I can just go by feel.

View attachment 12893View attachment 12894View attachment 12895
What gauge of wire did you use to the motor and battery?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What gauge of wire did you use to the motor and battery?
10 gauge. The fittings I got barely accommodate it. They were the best I could find on the ‘Zon though. At least for what I wanted to pay.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My PWM worked flawlessly for several days. Really happy with it. When my old battery finally gives up the ghost I'll be going lithium to save weight.
Did it extend your battery charge for the whole trip or did you have a way to recharge?