Puget Sound

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Awww shit....

Sorry guys I made 2 posts in reply to this.

One was asking if the cartoon lady in the pink bathing suit was Amy Wong from Futurama, and the 2nd was a screen grab of her in a bikini .

Nether of them posted that I can see. Thus the reason for this post that originally started out "awww shit".

-[WR]

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fished the canal today from 6:30 until 10:30. Not my favorite tide, but you have to fish when you can.
Overall super slow, with six cutts to hand. Size was way lacking. The biggest may have been 10”.
Lots of fry getting blasted, but mostly way out over the eel grass which is well beyond casting range. Most the fish I saw chasing fry looked small. I only saw one attack that looked like a decent size fish. The bigger fish have been MIA the past few weeks on this beach but I expect them to start showing back up soon. Caught the fish on a chum fry. Couldn’t buy a sniff on a shrimp pattern. Nice cool wet day. Could have actually used a bit more wind.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
More wind? :) We would have done better with none!

Fished with @jasmillo and @copperJon this morning for a short window of time before we got blown out of the water. Wind and white caps sent us for safe harbor fishing for cutts instead. Ultimately I had to take a ferry back to Seattle and take an Uber to my rig :)

But not without some lings and rockfish! I caught a ling on the dock while waiting for the Whaler to show up. Not big but it hit the fly with some authority. Sink type 9 on my 9wt, waited for the fly get close to bottom and stripped back.

Also got my first rockfish on fly, little guy. Jason got the bigger one.
Also some flounders was had jigging gears.

IMG_4897.jpegIMG_4904.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Fished MA 10 from 5:30 until 10:30. Caught some fish. Most were snaky. Lots of fry getting hammered. Way too bright and hot.
SF

IMG_7553.jpegIMG_7556.jpegIMG_7555.jpegIMG_7554.jpegIMG_7557.jpegIMG_7558.pngIMG_7559.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Forgot to mention in my earlier report.
Had a guy walk up to me today and ask, “what are you fishing for, pinks?” 😂
God damn I love the cast of characters you meet beach fishing. I should have answered, “no humpies.”
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Low tide playing with the kids—what are these critters? The larger green version are decent swimmers and great at hiding on eelgrass; the smaller reddish brown one moved by bending and unbending its body in a U-shape. @Cabezon

View attachment 114191View attachment 114192
The green crustacean in the first image is an isopod. It is in the same group as the roly-polly / pillbug from your garden.
The dark brown organism in the second image is a caprellid amphipod ("skeleton shrimp"). These are related to the scuds in freshwater (though there has been some phylogenetic revisions to the amphipods). They use their back legs to hook onto the substrate and then use their front legs and/or antennae to gather prey. They are kind of like marine preying mantises.
Both isopods and caprellid amphipods are paracarid crustaceans, along with mysids, cumaceans, and tanaids. In this group, the females retain fertilized eggs in exoskeletal pouch, the marsupium, under the thorax. The fertilized eggs complete their entire development in the marsupium and the offspring emerge as miniature adults (no separate planktonic larval stage).
Steve