Puget Sound

Sounderman

Freshly Spawned
You coho cohort are giving me some serious FOMO, especially when it's still early for them up here on Vancouver island.
Got my salty fix this evening in Tofino, biggest surf perch I've ever seen, and they are plentiful too.
View attachment 76591
View attachment 76592
View attachment 76593
View attachment 76594

Many back to back fish when you find that sweet spot, caught over a dozen of them until a surfer guy and his sons from Newfoundland came over to check out the action.
He wanted to try so I showed him to strip and handle line in the basket, his casting wasn't bad at all getting that shooting head out.
Took about ten minutes, it was fun as hell watching him get his first fish :)
View attachment 76595
View attachment 76596
Nice beautiful fish.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All this salmon FOMO had me on the beach from about 6-9:30 this morning before starting work. A cookie cutter rezzie and a solid humpy rode home on a bed of ice sold to me by a woman who wished me "a fantastic day doing whatever the f*ck it is you're doing." Released a smaller pink, an unclipped coho and LDR'd a probable SRC. Fish of the day was a very nice unclipped coho probably pushing 6lbs that almost got on the reel.

1691699962989.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
All this salmon FOMO had me on the beach from about 6-9:30 this morning before starting work. A cookie cutter rezzie and a solid humpy rode home on a bed of ice sold to me by a woman who wished me "a fantastic day doing whatever the f*ck it is you're doing." Released a smaller pink, an unclipped coho and LDR'd a probable SRC. Fish of the day was a very nice unclipped coho probably pushing 6lbs that almost got on the reel.

View attachment 77190

Nice job on the fish.
Is that a small cod?
SF

Divad

Whitefish

View attachment 77190
I like her blunt style, sure makes a more memorable salutation. Enjoy the fish feast 👍

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In her defense, I had just gotten off the beach and was rocking a fishing shirt, shorts over long underwear, crocs and a ballcap. Definitely reeking of humpy slime too. I have to think she's seen (and smelled) this kind of thing a lot though based on where she works.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
  • Haha
Reactions: ffb

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Headed out for a half day solo outing.

First stop I went 0-5 during a 30 minute window early then the salad moved in and the current just never seemed to do much.

Made a run into the land of the humpy and and spent the next few hours with plenty of action. Also managed one hot hatchery coho during this period.

Headed back and stopped at one more location where I haven't fished in a handful of years, and ended up hooking another half dozen pinks, landing 4 of them.

Off the water by 1. I kinda dig getting out solo once in a while

20230810_092649-01.jpeg20230810_084815-01.jpeg20230810_080000.jpg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Another great outing and post!

Is it just the photo, or is that second buck humpy coloring up some already?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Another great outing and post!

Is it just the photo, or is that second buck humpy coloring up some already?

I think it's mostly just the pic, but he was a bit larger and maybe had a touch of color compared to most of the rest I caught.

Sun was really bright glaring off the water, not great for fish pictures

WonderBrad

Steelhead
Question: What Marine areas are open for what? I usually intercept salmon in the Snohomish river system which is completely shut down so far...

The regs are getting harder to interpret (at least for me)

I can think of 3 or 4 beaches near me:
Edmonds. MA 9
Picnic Point MA 9?
Mukilteo MA 8-2
Richmond beach MA 10

Are any of those viable for pinks off the beach? Pinks Keep 2?
Clipped Coho keep 1?
I'd rather walk and wade than try to launch my kayak or livingston 8' boat

Thanks for any helpful advice

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Question: What Marine areas are open for what? I usually intercept salmon in the Snohomish river system which is completely shut down so far...

Edmonds. MA 9
Picnic Point MA 9?
Mukilteo MA 8-2
Richmond beach MA 10

Clipped Coho keep 1?

MA9: 2 Fish. 2 Clipped Coho, OR 1 clipped coho and 1 pink, OR 2 pink
MA10: 2 Fish. 1 Coho (Clipped or unclipped) and 1 pink, OR 2 pink
MA8-2: 2 FIsh. 1 Coho (Clipped or unclipped) and 1 pink, OR 2 pink

That's as of right now. If the test boat catches too many fish they'll change the rules again. Always check the emergency regs.

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Edmonds. MA 9
Picnic Point MA 9?
Mukilteo MA 8-2
Richmond beach MA 10

Are any of those viable for pinks off the beach?
Any of those beaches can yield pinks if they choose to swing in close enough, but expect more fishing than catching. 🙂

It's not like the rivers where you expect a number of encounters with each passing school(if they're biting).

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Edmonds. MA 9
Picnic Point MA 9?
Mukilteo MA 8-2
Richmond beach MA 10

Clipped Coho keep 1?

I have seen salmon in casting range at Picnic Point once, ever. And it was the one time I was there with no rod. On the other hand, my buddy limited out of one of these beaches (Trying not to hot spot but I am not really sure whether it matters least in a Humpy year or if matters most in a Humpy year) easily out of his Pontoon, and a guy in a Kayak at Picnic Point in 2021 told me he had caught and released ten fish besides the ones he kept.

As for the regs, Area 9 you can keep two salmon, no Chinook, and no Wild Coho. Area 8-2 and 10, you can only keep one Coho, clipped or unclipped, but still a total of two salmon.

Which is really weird to me, because all the unclipped fish Area 9 is supposed to be protecting are headed to Area 8-2 or Area 10 anyway

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
How is it fishing out of a canoe on the Sound? Any major issues fishing alone?
Your mileage may vary, but I find sitting in the bow seat and facing backwards makes solo-fishing the Sound via canoe very viable. 10 4+ hour days so far. Just watch Windy for wind forecasts as canoes kind of suck to turn in a stiff wind. And, bring a long-handled net.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Today was going to be a great fishing day, I think. But then my little guy broke his arm last night. Don't think I'm getting out there. Good luck to Brian and those who are.