Orvis Bug-Out Backpack?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm in the market for a specific fishing backpack. I've literally tried all of the fishing "bags" there are (vest, hip bag, backpack, chest pack and sling).
I've finally decided and narrowed it down to two methods/packs.

1. Wader pocket + simple hip bag (non fishing related Mystery Ranch for close to the truck fishing). I dont need a lot and my net can slip into my wader belt or my hip bag belt.

2. For longer distances from the truck, a backpack. I've been using a non-fishing pack lately and while it works I want a couple specific features. Specifically, a way to carry a second rod tube and a way to carry a net (that doesn't just leave the net dangling by a coil or zinger).

So my question is, has anyone used this pack and is carrying the net here comfortable or does it feel weird?
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 12.47.27 PM.png

The other pack I was looking at was the Fishpond Firehole. Obviously we live in the PNW and there's the submersibles, but they don't have a good net option and I don't steelhead/find myself in a down pour often. I can always carry a small drybag in the backpack for emergencies. But feel free to convince me otherwise.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't want to hijack your thread but I too have thought about a backpack (I currently use a cheap Costco one: no place for a spare rod, no way to easily hold a net). I like the features of the bag you're considering but waterproof is key to me.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't want to hijack your thread but I too have thought about a backpack (I currently use a cheap Costco one: no place for a spare rod, no way to easily hold a net). I like the features of the bag you're considering but waterproof is key to me.

Feel free to! The nice thing about thread hijacks are that it at least the thread gets bumped to the top ;).

Yeah, I'd love to go water proof, but the two main waterproof backpacks are basically just dry bags with straps. They do at least have a spot to lash rod tubes too.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That net carrying position would seem like a big no go if you did a lot of stripping while streamer fishing.
Might build up some toughness in your left tricep though if you hit the net enough times. 😉
SF

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I'd love to go water proof, but the two main waterproof backpacks are basically just dry bags with straps.
Agreed, they're dry bags with backpack straps. The week I spent in Alaska last September, waterproof was mandatory! ;-) I guess backpack bags are like boats, one is never enough.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Agreed, they're dry bags with backpack straps. The week I spent in Alaska last September, waterproof was mandatory! ;-) I guess backpack bags are like boats, one is never enough.

hmm. good point. especially since I'd be using this stripping for bulls.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Happy fishpond oxbow user here.

I wouldn't want the net coming off the side like that.
@Stonedfish pointed out one of the concerns i'd also have. I'd also imagine it gets snagged bushwacking a lot easier. It also looks like net is contacting his back right butt cheek. probably quite noticeable if you're climbing up and over bigger rocks and the net keeps bumping into your rear end. That would bug me.

I do like how big that bag is. And I like simple designs like that.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Happy fishpond oxbow user here.

I wouldn't want the net coming off the side like that.
@Stonedfish pointed out one of the concerns i'd also have. I'd also imagine it gets snagged bushwacking a lot easier. It also looks like net is contacting his back right butt cheek. probably quite noticeable if you're climbing up and over bigger rocks and the net keeps bumping into your rear end. That would bug me.

I do like how big that bag is. And I like simple designs like that.

This makes me all the more curious if anyone has this bag and likes it?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I own one & absolutely love it! I ended up hanging mine off the back, not in the slot. I'll take another pic tonight when I get home. The perfect amount of space and well thought our storage compartments.

Holds lots of beer too!PXL_20220827_144814893~2.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
I almost pulled the trigger on the Filson submersible backpack but then I read two reviews stating after a couple years the waterproof material failed and Filson did not honor both "lifetime warranties".

Fishpond makes the same thing basically with also a lifetime warranty, Orvis too with the new Pro Waterproof Backpack with zipper and roll top styles. That new Orvis Pro pack looks real good! Hip pockets, padded arms and adjustable elastic bottle holder (granted I filter the river usually with a Katadyn) but could also be used to hold a couple fly boxes.

1676331163791.png

I wouldnt discount submersible hip packs either if you can get away with them. I have a Simms one and love it, hardest part is carrying a rod tube but an extra rifle sling fixes that. Keeps the weight off your shoulders and prevents over-packing.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Was going to ask if you'd checked out the fishing pack from Adamsbuilt in NV. But, a) it doesn't appear to be in their catalog any more and b) it looks like they may have folded their tent and moved on..no indication of updates to the site since at least Dec. of last year.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Was going to ask if you'd checked out the fishing pack from Adamsbuilt in NV. But, a) it doesn't appear to be in their catalog any more and b) it looks like they may have folded their tent and moved on..no indication of updates to the site since at least Dec. of last year.
@mcswny - more thread drift.

Wanderin' - Adams Built is alive and well, maybe not with the fishing pack you're talking about. I really like their flats boots (for hiking my tube and kicking around). I wonder about these: https://www.adamsbuiltfishing.com/c.../gunnison-river-wading-boot?variant=607502105 .............. thread drift.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
On mine I use it for fishing and general use day pack type stuff. I do have a separate waterproof sling for winter steelheading, but as stated, they're all just dry bags with straps (mine is and previous gen Patagonia).

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Before I moved to the states, I used a backpack a lot. I was only able to go fly fishing twice a year, on a 1-2 week camping trip. I wanted to make the most of it, so I would fish for over 10h a day, for a week or more straight, under the Australian summer heat. I used a regular hiking backpack, with my net attached to the handle at the top. It worked well. Access sucked though, like all backpacks.

If I were to buy a backpack again, it would need to have an integrated chest pack or some decent sized pockets on the straps.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Before I moved to the states, I used a backpack a lot. I was only able to go fly fishing twice a year, on a 1-2 week camping trip. I wanted to make the most of it, so I would fish for over 10h a day, for a week or more straight, under the Australian summer heat. I used a regular hiking backpack, with my net attached to the handle at the top. It worked well. Access sucked though, like all backpacks.

If I were to buy a backpack again, it would need to have an integrated chest pack or some decent sized pockets on the straps.
Hell yes. Fishpond oxbow to the rescue.
See, we think a like. Aside from the whole silly euro nymphing thing. ;) 🤙

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I own one & absolutely love it! I ended up hanging mine off the back, not in the slot. I'll take another pic tonight when I get home. The perfect amount of space and well thought our storage compartments.

Holds lots of beer too!View attachment 54002
Good to know. Do you just use a caribiner/d ring with a cord and let it dangle? I

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wouldnt discount submersible hip packs either if you can get away with them. I have a Simms one and love it, hardest part is carrying a rod tube but an extra rifle sling fixes that. Keeps the weight off your shoulders and prevents over-packing.

I've been in a real simplification phase. I either want nothing or all the things and the "bigger" hip packs are just not enough space, but just enough to be slightly annoyed. I have the Fishpond Switchback Pro that I'm about to list in the classifieds.