Orvis Bug-Out Backpack?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Good to know. Do you just use a caribiner/d ring with a cord and let it dangle? I
No carabiner.

Either of these two work great. If you don't want it to dangle as far, you could obviously make that connection shorter. But with both of these nets (short handled) I have zero issues with them knocking into the backs of my legs (probably because it's not right near my body). I recently got the gear keeper and really like it for the smaller trout net (haven't used it with the larger blue one yet).

I also really like the easy access side zipper where I just swing it around like a sling and get into a couple of main pockets (that's what's opened above). For a handful of little things (little nymph box, tippet I'm using, etc), that easily fits into my wader pocket so I go that route so I'm not having to dig through anything.

I probably sound like a total fanboy here, but there is literally nothing wrong with this backpack and a whole lot right with it.

PXL_20230214_054620502.jpg
PXL_20230214_054440181.MP.jpg

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I'm in the market for a specific fishing backpack. I've literally tried all of the fishing "bags" there are (vest, hip bag, backpack, chest pack and sling).
I've finally decided and narrowed it down to two methods/packs.

1. Wader pocket + simple hip bag (non fishing related Mystery Ranch for close to the truck fishing). I dont need a lot and my net can slip into my wader belt or my hip bag belt.

2. For longer distances from the truck, a backpack. I've been using a non-fishing pack lately and while it works I want a couple specific features. Specifically, a way to carry a second rod tube and a way to carry a net (that doesn't just leave the net dangling by a coil or zinger).

So my question is, has anyone used this pack and is carrying the net here comfortable or does it feel weird?
View attachment 53982

The other pack I was looking at was the Fishpond Firehole. Obviously we live in the PNW and there's the submersibles, but they don't have a good net option and I don't steelhead/find myself in a down pour often. I can always carry a small drybag in the backpack for emergencies. But feel free to convince me otherwise.

I have the Fishpond Thunderhead submersible. I tuck the net between my back and the backpack with the net bag reachable behind my head. This keeps the net secure, out of the way when stripping and casting, and is fairly comfortable. They also sell a net holster attachment I have not tried yet.

It gets most used when salmon fishing because it doubles as a “cooler” when fishing coho off the beach. Throw a couple of refreezable ice packs in there and it keeps you and the fish cool on warm, coho beach days. It triples as a boat bag as well. I have also been very happy with the updated resealable zipper on the new model. That was my only issue with my previous one.

95D591BC-1B91-4E10-BDDA-4A68946239EE.jpeg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I bet it smells great now. ;)

The coho go in plastic bags first but I am not going to lie, my most recent one is less than a year old and it smells like ass. It does not come with me on trips to AK or MT for obvious reasons :).

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Just about all of the "fishing" backpacks integrate with vests or chest packs.

Backpacks that don't have the chest pack already integrated usually can't be spun around. Have a look at the Amazon rando below.

See how there are clips, where the straps connect to the bottom of the chest pack?

BD7CA910-94E3-4CC1-A959-64A4963E7355.jpeg

When you undo those, the pack becomes like a poncho. You can then access the backpack, by spinning it around, without taking it off.

All of the modular systems that I have seen simply attach the chest pack onto the existing backpack straps. IMO, that is a poor solution. This Orvis pack seems to be one of them.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
All of the modular systems that I have seen simply attach the chest pack onto the existing backpack straps. IMO, that is a poor solution.

Unless I'm missing something, this is actually desirable, for me that is. Because you can use it with out without the chest pack. IE, I can use said backpack to take my kid to school without looking like a total nerd. Kinda like the guy I saw at the coffee shop a couple weeks ago with the tactical baby bjorn.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Unless I'm missing something, this is actually desirable, for me that is. Because you can use it with out without the chest pack. IE, I can use said backpack to take my kid to school without looking like a total nerd. Kinda like the guy I saw at the coffee shop a couple weeks ago with the tactical baby bjorn.

Being able to access the backpack, without taking it off, is a benefit that I wouldn't want to be without. It's up to you though. Someone probably makes a product that does both.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
lol, I actually HAVE a backpack cooler....used it once for fish (in a separate bag) and haven't been able to use it since for anything else.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Being able to access the backpack, without taking it off, is a benefit that I wouldn't want to be without. It's up to you though. Someone probably makes a product that does both.
yeah, someone does, the backpack initially posted about.

slide onto one shoulder and it swings around like a sling with a nice little station to do whatever you need to do.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Totally get it, nothing is perfect, especially if youre trying to use something like this in other situations besides fishing.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
yeah, someone does, the backpack initially posted about.

slide onto one shoulder and it swings around like a sling with a nice little station to do whatever you need to do.

So it just hangs precariously off one shoulder, pulling in the same direction that would take it off said shoulder? I assume your net then hangs perpendicular, too. I read that you have one of these and therefore must defend it till death, but that seems objectively less good.

Spinning is the key to more success. Slinging is the key to less success.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
So it just hangs precariously off one shoulder, pulling in the same direction that would take it off said shoulder? I assume your net then hangs perpendicular, too. I read that you have one of these and therefore must defend it till death, but that seems objectively less good.

Precarious is definitely not a term I'd use. It works very well & is incredibly stable. Have you tried one on to see for yourself? Probably not, judging by your comments thus far. That's a legit concern though & one I had as well when I was looking until I actually tried it on. Truth be told, I still wasn't completely sold until I took all of my trout gear to the fly shop to stuff into it (I did this with several other fishing backpacks as well) and figured out just how well this was going to work for me. I don't use this for steelheading or salmon or anything where I'm expected to be in the middle of a rain forest, nor did I want that since I already have a waterproof pack. I also hate chest packs, so didn't want that integrated (even though you can add one to this. Would it help if I said that I "spin" it around to get it into a place to access everything?

Just about the only thing that seems to be a complete waste on this pack is the net slot. It just makes for a pretty uncomfortable time on the water (personally, I've had this issue with all packs with that type of net "holder", like 2 Fishpond bags I also have---still use them for other things though). I posted my thoughts and how I have it rigged up for the net and find exactly zero issues with that....in fact, it's really slick and easy.

Naw, not till death....it just works VERY well for what I'm after, which seemed to be pretty close to what the OP was after, but I'm not that person...everyone has to figure out which will work what's best for them.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
it just works VERY well for what I'm after

This is an important distinction. And context around what one is after is also helpful.
IE, for me, the goal with having a backpack is not to be constantly going in and out of it.
For me, if I'm out all day, I want my lunch, an extra rod, extra flies, more snacks. But im not grabbing this shit out every 5 minutes. I'll keep what I need in the immediate in my wader pocket (or wet wade pants if its the summer).

I understand its not a one size fits all situation, thats why I like to ask these types of questions here because A. I get different perspectives and B. different people fish differently so its nice to see how other people use said things.

With that being said, I don't find blanket statements particularly useful (for myself, or anyone else reading). Because to say something is a miss or bad may only mean its a miss or bad for you, but not everyone else (although its seems like that net slot is a miss for everyone ;) )

In the end, obviously I just need to go to the shop and check these out. But for now, I'm now much more prepared for when i do get there!

Thanks everyone!
tim

cdnred

Life of the Party

I finally got around to checking out that video and those packs seem quite impressive. Maybe it's a bit of overkill to me but these guys seem to take everything but the kitchen sink with them. Myself I'd have a hard time keeping everythhing together. I mean how many fly boxes does the normal fly fisher need to take with them when heading out..?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I finally got around to checking out that video and those packs seem quite impressive. Maybe it's a bit of overkill to me but these guys seem to take everything but the kitchen sink with them. Myself I'd have a hard time keeping everythhing together. I mean how many fly boxes does the normal fly fisher need to take with them when heading out..?

Lance's competition career and street cred are on the line, so it makes sense for him to carry everything he could possibly ever need.

Cheech probably uses all the storage for snacks. I think he actually says that, in the video.

Personally, I don't carry much stuff and a fishing bra is more than enough for me. If I was going on longer trips, needing more food and layers, I'd definitely get a pack like one of those. The ability to get into the backpack, without taking it off or have my net flail around, is an awesome feature.