New exciting rod builds recently?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Here's some photos of my latest builds. Pretty plain Jane wraps for now. I've been watching Y Tube tutorial videos on different decorative wraps, but still not there yet. This is the first year of my new hobby. As they say, you learn by doing, so I'll be doing some more next Fall. I am going to build myself a spin twitching rod before Coho season this Summer. Some of these rods will be over in the classified next week.

The Grey rod is a 7"6', 4# NFC Iconoglass. It's been sold to a gentleman NY State
The Graphite rod is a NFC LMXFAF 10", 6#.
The White rod is a 8"6', 8# NFC Iconoglass. Kind of an experiment. My first time wrapping guides in silk. This is raw silk thread that turns transparent when finished, showing the guides and pigment color beneath.

I'm a big fan of No. Fork Composites rod blanks. This local WA. company makes a quality product and is run by Gary Loomis himself.

IMG_1498.JPGIMG_1500.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1528.JPGIMG_1547.JPGIMG_1548.JPGIMG_1549.JPG

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Here's some photos of my latest builds. Pretty plain Jane wraps for now. I've been watching Y Tube tutorial videos on different decorative wraps, but still not there yet. This is the first year of my new hobby. As they say, you learn by doing, so I'll be doing some more next Fall. I am going to build myself a spin twitching rod before Coho season this Summer. Some of these rods will be over in the classified next week.

The Grey rod is a 7"6', 4# NFC Iconoglass. It's been sold to a gentleman NY State
The Graphite rod is a NFC LMXFAF 10", 6#.
The White rod is a 8"6', 8# NFC Iconoglass. Kind of an experiment. My first time wrapping guides in silk. This is raw silk thread that turns transparent when finished, showing the guides and pigment color beneath.

I'm a big fan of No. Fork Composites rod blanks. This local WA. company makes a quality product and is run by Gary Loomis himself.

View attachment 14976View attachment 14977View attachment 14978View attachment 14979View attachment 14980View attachment 14981View attachment 14982
You do beautiful work!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I'll be building two Iconoglass rods. A 7ft, 4# grey colored and a 8ft 6in, 8# green colored rod. I finished an 8ft, 5# Iconoglass, white colored that is going back to the for sale/ classified section tomarrow.

I'll be building two Iconoglass rods. A 7ft, 4# grey colored and a 8ft 6in, 8# green colored rod. I finished an 8ft, 5# Iconoglass, white colored that is going back to the for sale/ classified section tomarrow.
Good plan! Those Iconoglass builds going like hotcakes here ;)

So how does the 8 wt glass cast? Where would you rate it between noodle and broomstick?
From my experience with it I would say that it's definitely a bit slower than comparable graphite 8 weights. Power wise it's not as strong as an 8wt NFC Gamma Beta I built earlier. However, it's a bit stronger than another graphite 8wt from Batson (Unity 908). It does respond well to a slower cast with a true to weight WF line. I am not really an expert caster so please take this with a grain of salt. Perhaps, others who have had a chance to cast these IG rods will share their thoughts as well. I will put this rod to a real test this summer in Alaska.

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
From my experience with it I would say that it's definitely a bit slower than comparable graphite 8 weights. Power wise it's not as strong as an 8wt NFC Gamma Beta I built earlier. However, it's a bit stronger than another graphite 8wt from Batson (Unity 908). It does respond well to a slower cast with a true to weight WF line. I am not really an expert caster so please take this with a grain of salt. Perhaps, others who have had a chance to cast these IG rods will share their thoughts as well. I will put this rod to a real test this summer in Alaska.
Thank you for the insight. I'm thinking about building or buying a 7 wt. I got rid of my old 7 wt. XP a few years back, and I've got a reel and spools with 7 wt. lines just sitting there. So need to figure out which way to go.