New exciting rod builds recently?

This is the rod building season for a few of us addicted to the craft. It may be cold outside and not much fishing lately, but at least we are thinking about fishing and building that next great fly rod for the upcoming season, or, maybe, for that long awaited tropical salt water trip. So, any new exciting projects in the works or something already finished? Please share your latest and greatest here. Meanwhile, I will take a few pics of my latest Gamma Beta build to add to this thread. Let's see what YOU have been working on...

A couple of recent builds

Rainshadow Immortal 13' 7wt. spey:
index.php

index.php

Rainshadow 9' 6" 5wt:
index.php

index.php

Griswald

Steelhead
Those are beautiful. Really, I have build 3 rods and NONE of them were even close to your level of expertise.

I would like to build a 6wt beach road for SRC, and recommendations on a nice fast, but not too fast blanks?
Thanks,
Griswald

Those are beautiful. Really, I have build 3 rods and NONE of them were even close to your level of expertise.

I would like to build a 6wt beach road for SRC, and recommendations on a nice fast, but not too fast blanks?
Thanks,
Griswald
There are so many choices... I would probably go with one of the NFC or CTS blanks. They offer the full spectrum of fly rod blanks from moderate to extra fast.

Griswald

Steelhead
Thank you for the recommendation. I did not know that Gary started a new company!

Adrian M

Steelhead
fudge i'd love to get into building rods. no idea where to start. maybe buying a kit or something.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
fudge i'd love to get into building rods. no idea where to start. maybe buying a kit or something.
Check out Proof Flyfishing. They are a supplier. Their tutorial videos are all you need to get started. Very well produced and on a beginners level. No fancy equipment needed. They have quality supplies including kit builds. I use 2 6x6 dollar store boxes with notches cut in them for stands and a teacup for holding my thread, with a heavy book for tension on my whipping thread.

Last edited:
For the first timers an inexpensive kit is the the way to go. Many years ago I found a bass rod build kit in the Bass Pro bargain basement for like 90% off and the rest is history. Very addictive and really rewarding process.

Snakes

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Took a few photos of that latest salt water travel NFC Gamma Beta 8wt. build today. Tried to keep this build subtle and light. NFC carbon fiber grip, Alps triangle reel seat and RECoil titanium alloy guides.
How do you like those carbon fiber grips? I’ve never used them but the last time I built a rod, cork was my least favorite part.

How do you like those carbon fiber grips? I’ve never used them but the last time I built a rod, cork was my least favorite part.
Some people love CF grips, some people hate them. I use both CF and cork in my builds, but have a preference for cork actually. You get a bit of weight savings with the carbon fiber though.

Ok, I won’t be posting any pics after seeing this! Holy cow. Beautiful!
LOL, scaring people wasn't my intent. Those two rods were built for ladies, so they do feature some girly colors and flare to them, hope not too much. Personally, I much prefer natural colors and subdued builds where less is more. So please share what you are working on. Would love to see more pictures in this thread.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
Very nice quality, Chinook! This has inspired me to get back into it. One of the things that i remember as kind of a let down was the price of blanks and supplies, it seemed cheaper to just go out and buy it from factory.. Although, nothing beats fishing your own tie! What are prices for supplies like nowadays?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
This is the first rod I've ever built. Finished it two weeks ago. It's a No. Fork Composites LMX, 11ft, 7wt. Switch. After testing it, I replaced the strip quides for even larger ones to let the line past smoother. The first few guides are moved forward to allow for easier strips, as I hold the rod under my armpit and two hand strip. This rod was meant to be used for beach casting overhead. I'm very happy with. So much, I just ordered another NFC blank. This next one is a 7'6" 4wt. Iconoglass.

Attachments

• 20220219_145935.jpg
    20220219_145935.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220219_145856.jpg
    20220219_145856.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 18
Very nice quality, Chinook! This has inspired me to get back into it. One of the things that i remember as kind of a let down was the price of blanks and supplies, it seemed cheaper to just go out and buy it from factory.. Although, nothing beats fishing your own tie! What are prices for supplies like nowadays?
Thank you! I figure it's less than $10 in supplies per build, so not really a significant factor. As for the blanks the best value right now are the North Fork Composites blanks made right here in Woodland, WA. They are amazing!

This is the first rod I've ever built. Finished it two weeks ago. It's a No. Fork Composites LMX, 11ft, 7wt. Switch. After testing it, I replaced the strip quides for even larger ones to let the line past smoother. The first few guides are moved forward to allow for easier strips, as I hold the rod under my armpit and two hand strip. This rod was meant to be used for beach casting overhead. I'm very happy with. So much, I just ordered another NFC blank. This next one is a 7'6" 4wt. Iconoglass.
Wow! Congratulations on your first! Looks sharp!!!