NBA Playoffs 2023

BDD

Steelhead
There's a guy who did his research. One thing I would add was how strong he was. Dude benched 550 in college and set a age-specific record at 68 years old at 465, three years before he died (there's a humorous story about it when he met Shwarzenegger on the set of "Conan the Barbarian" in the weight room that's worth checking out). One site claimed Shaq never benched over 450 but I'm not sure of the validity of that statement.
He died when he was 63, not 68. Probably what you meant and is a typo. Arnold was very candid about Chamberlain's strength, not from a basketball perspective but from a human perspective and that seems credible enough. No doubt Wilt was not afraid of publicity, notoriety, and perhaps some embellishment and tall tales. Some of his claims I'm a little suspect of, like his 50 inch vertical leap. Obviously he had some hops as he was a college champ in the high jump and did very well in other jumping, running, and throwing events. Most track athletes have a specialty. Wilt could run, throw, and jump. And not only could he run sprints and beat college sprinters and NFL players, he also ran a 50 miler when he was 62. Had he seriously trained for the decathlon, hard not to believe he would have been very successful.

Below is a list of stories that I'm not sure have ever been verified, but it's interesting even contemplating the possibility.
  • Remember Jordan dunking from the free throw line with a full court running start? Supposedly Wilt did it with no running start, like a standing broad jump, which is why they made it illegal.
  • I thought Jim Brown (RIP with his recent death) was the greatest running back of all time. Supposedly Wilt beat him in a foot race barefoot...twice.
  • Broke a man's toe after a dunked basketball by Wilt went through the hoop and landed on his foot.
  • Killed a mountain lion with his bare hands after being attacked by one, showing a friend the claw marks on his back.
  • Offered a football contract on the spot with the Chiefs after catching one-hand passes ABOVE the goal post bar as coach Hank Stram considered him the greatest wide receiver prospect ever.
  • Palming 16 pound bowling balls in each hand.
  • Almost having a boxing match with Ali before both camps called it off.
  • Considered one of the best beach volleyball players of the day.
  • Lifting with the strongest power lifters in the day, with incredible strength in tricep extensions, dead lift, and bench press.
When I think of great athletes, Thorp, Brown, Jackson, Sanders, and a few others come to mind. But again, I'm not sure any of them could match the size, strength, stamina, endurance, agility, running, jumping, throwing, over such a broad spectrum as Chamberlain.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
He died when he was 63, not 68. Probably what you meant and is a typo. Arnold was very candid about Chamberlain's strength, not from a basketball perspective but from a human perspective and that seems credible enough. No doubt Wilt was not afraid of publicity, notoriety, and perhaps some embellishment and tall tales. Some of his claims I'm a little suspect of, like his 50 inch vertical leap. Obviously he had some hops as he was a college champ in the high jump and did very well in other jumping, running, and throwing events. Most track athletes have a specialty. Wilt could run, throw, and jump. And not only could he run sprints and beat college sprinters and NFL players, he also ran a 50 miler when he was 62. Had he seriously trained for the decathlon, hard not to believe he would have been very successful.

Below is a list of stories that I'm not sure have ever been verified, but it's interesting even contemplating the possibility.
  • Remember Jordan dunking from the free throw line with a full court running start? Supposedly Wilt did it with no running start, like a standing broad jump, which is why they made it illegal.
  • I thought Jim Brown (RIP with his recent death) was the greatest running back of all time. Supposedly Wilt beat him in a foot race barefoot...twice.
  • Broke a man's toe after a dunked basketball by Wilt went through the hoop and landed on his foot.
  • Killed a mountain lion with his bare hands after being attacked by one, showing a friend the claw marks on his back.
  • Offered a football contract on the spot with the Chiefs after catching one-hand passes ABOVE the goal post bar as coach Hank Stram considered him the greatest wide receiver prospect ever.
  • Lifting with the strongest power lifters in the day, with incredible strength in tricep extensions, dead lift, and bench press.
When I think of great athletes, Thorp, Brown, Jackson, Sanders, and a few others come to mind. But again, I'm not sure any of them could match the size, strength, stamina, endurance, agility, running, jumping, throwing, over such a broad spectrum as Chamberlain.
You forgot to mention that he climbed Everest, McKinley (Denali) and Fuji…all in the same day.

Sawed a car in half…with a toothbrush.

And wrestled salt water crocodiles…just to make shoes.

BDD

Steelhead
You forgot to mention that he climbed Everest, McKinley (Denali) and Fuji…all in the same day.

Sawed a car in half…with a toothbrush.

And wrestled salt water crocodiles…just to make shoes.
In my opinion, that's an odd response and a bit silly. Never said he did most of the stuff I listed while pointing out flaws and other great athletes at the same time.

BDD

Steelhead
My surprise players of the NBA playoffs so far:

Reaves has played very well for the Lakers and did not see that coming. Same with Hachimura and glad a GU Bulldog is getting some exposure. Expected AD and James to do what they are doing. I had no idea who at least half the celebrities they showed courtside were. I think that is a good thing.

Also surprised The Nuggets are up 3-0 even with Jokic having a rather "poor" game (compared to the rest) yesterday. I'd rather see him post down low when Hachimura is on him...seems like he could take it strong to the hoop and score regularly rather than posting at the top of the 3-point circle. But some of the other shooters have been doing well and Murray has been all world.

I like Tatum, Brown and Horford but the former has struggled, especially in the fourth quarter when it counts the most. After his huge game 7 in the previous round, I did not expect to see such a drop in performance against the Heat.

My favorite expression of the playoff so far...Jimmy Fricking Butler...don't remember which announcer said it but The Butler is a beast.

But I guess I need to move on.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
In my opinion, that's an odd response and a bit silly. Never said he did most of the stuff I listed while pointing out flaws and other great athletes at the same time.
I remember watching Bill Russell speak at Wilt Chamberlain’s funeral…his opening remark was, and I’m paraphrasing, “he was the biggest pain in the ass”. He held Wilt in the highest regard, and they were great friends till the end. I was fortunate to have been able to watch both on tv as a youngster…

My comments to your post was purely for humor…perhaps you don’t like humor…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Perhaps we can stop playing like we're pretending to be NBA analysts and get back to.....HOW BOUT THEM HEAT!?!!

😆😆😆😆

Last edited:

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
C's played some D and made some shots.

Spoelstra will have his team ready for game 6. He will have a new wrinkle. He is one hell of a coach.

Tatum needs to be great for the C's.

I remember watching Bill Russell speak at Wilt Chamberlain’s funeral…his opening remark was, and I’m paraphrasing, “he was the biggest pain in the ass”. He held Wilt in the highest regard, and they were great friends till the end. I was fortunate to have been able to watch both on tv as a youngster…

My comments to your post was purely for humor…perhaps you don’t like humor…
...or perhaps you don't understand mine, it's cool.

...also once dislocated a guy's shoulder blocking his shot. Also think, at the time he was dunking foul shots, that the line was set at 12 feet, but still, they changed the game because of one guy.

At this point I would just say, watch the documentary '100', it's all there, just amazing.