March tying contest thread and February's winner is:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Step-18.jpg

Step_19.jpg
What are the legs material? Hmand how do you get them like that? Thanks!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
@Billy failed to mention that I would not consider a Pat's Stone as an entry to this month's contest. We all know they work, they are boring as heck to tie (and fish, IMO). Additionally, hard to say if they are taking it as a Skwala (especially when fishing the ever-popular Coffee-Black version), or if they are taking it as a Golden Stone, a salmon fly, or even a cranefly Larva. I consider a Pat's to just be an all-purpose fly, rather than a Skwala. Ok, snob rant over, and my apologies if this offends any of you.

I'm looking for people's originals, or even commercial, or altered commercial patterns (besides Pat's) that have worked well for them.
Just bumping this as it's time :) .Although I have always been happy with the Pat's, @James St. Clair got me motivated to try some new stuff. Posted several flies in the vice and what's catching fish so I won't repeat, straggle stones and knuckle draggers in various dress. Don't know that they are more or less effective as I haven't fished the Pat's, but they are working as well as the standard hare's ear I fish so I'll say they are winners. I hate change, but sometimes it's good to try, and I'm having a lot of fun and success with the new ties. Except still can't get anything to come up for a dry. Thanks James for the inspiration.

Last edited: