Wanted Honda Element AWD

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have owned several van conversions, whole bunch of Tahoes, Suburbans, Subaru's...a Sienna my favorite of all of them for non heavy winter conditions. Plenty of power, so utilitarian. Put a camping cot and several surfboards including a 10' longboard for summer coast runs, sheet of plywood when in project mode. The reason they went to run flat tires on the earlier models is they had no built in spare tire holder. Friend with an earlier AWD went to winter tires, kept a spare in the back. He also installed a mild lift kit so he could run the beach (surfer), and he'd fly through sand I was unwilling to take my heavier 4x4 rigs through. In 2008 they went to timing chains instead of timing belts.

NCFLY

Just Hatched
The Sienna's gas mileage ain't bad either. I average 22-24 mpg in mixed driving conditions.

The seats are very comfortable and the handling is way better than my buddy's pick-up with drop in camper. It's easy to park practically anywhere and I can break or move camp in minutes.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
If you want to carry a bunch of stuff and/or sleep comfortably in the back, want AWD, want to be able to drive/park in urban environments without attracting too much attention, don't want a brodozer, and don't need a manual transmission, there's really no finer stealth utility vehicle than an AWD Sienna.

I had a '97 MT Subaru Legacy L wagon for a decade, then a '96 All-Trac Previa LE/SC for ~6 years, and got an '09 Sienna Limited AWD last April. I briefly looked at an Element in between the Suby and the Perv but the cramped living room (even with potential MT) lost out to the radness of the supercharged Space Egg. Once you embrace minivanlife you'll never go back!
I had a 2001 Honda Odyssey AWD for my family and used it a lot when I went fly fishing. Slept in it a lot, smooth and fast ride as well.

Reactions: Zak

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It warms my heart to hear so many people advocating for vans! I have known for years that most of the people that buy SUV's that never leave the pavement would be far better off with a van instead. Vans can be cheaper to buy, less expensive to insure, are easier and more comfortable to drive, have better access with electric sliding doors and lift gate, get better mileage, have more interior space and are easy to sleep in. They have been severely bad mouthed by the fragile ego set as being MommyMobiles but are far more practical vehicles than any other type of vehicle on the road.

Up here on the frozen tundra there is a surprising number of them and most are 2WD. With good winter tires they are remarkably capable on our snow covered roads, vastly more competent than any 2WD rear wheel drive model. I think people forget that for the first 100 years of motoring in the US there was little 4WD, vehicles and tires were relatively crude, roads were worse and still people got around in winter. Nowadays the perception seems to be that 4WD is needed just to drive on a dirt road!

I have wanted to see a factory "ManVan" for years, a model without those vestigial 3rd row seats and a storage locker instead, a full flat floor, beefed up suspension with a 2" lift kit, AWD and some decent all terrain tires. Such a vehicle hasn't been built of course because it would impinge upon sales of the cash cow SUV's and because the aforementioned fragile ego types would view it as not macho enough. But what a great vehicle it would be! Room on top for solar panels, a pontoon boat or storage module and enough room inside for strung up fly rods plus better mileage than a pickup or SUV. Lately I am seeing a lot of minivans on YouTube being converted into van life use. Perhaps some manufacturer will take note and develop some version of the ManVan, it would require relatively little development cost having an already competent chassis to work with.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
It warms my heart to hear so many people advocating for vans! I have known for years that most of the people that buy SUV's that never leave the pavement would be far better off with a van instead. Vans can be cheaper to buy, less expensive to insure, are easier and more comfortable to drive, have better access with electric sliding doors and lift gate, get better mileage, have more interior space and are easy to sleep in. They have been severely bad mouthed by the fragile ego set as being MommyMobiles but are far more practical vehicles than any other type of vehicle on the road.

Up here on the frozen tundra there is a surprising number of them and most are 2WD. With good winter tires they are remarkably capable on our snow covered roads, vastly more competent than any 2WD rear wheel drive model. I think people forget that for the first 100 years of motoring in the US there was little 4WD, vehicles and tires were relatively crude, roads were worse and still people got around in winter. Nowadays the perception seems to be that 4WD is needed just to drive on a dirt road!

I have wanted to see a factory "ManVan" for years, a model without those vestigial 3rd row seats and a storage locker instead, a full flat floor, beefed up suspension with a 2" lift kit, AWD and some decent all terrain tires. Such a vehicle hasn't been built of course because it would impinge upon sales of the cash cow SUV's and because the aforementioned fragile ego types would view it as not macho enough. But what a great vehicle it would be! Room on top for solar panels, a pontoon boat or storage module and enough room inside for strung up fly rods plus better mileage than a pickup or SUV. Lately I am seeing a lot of minivans on YouTube being converted into van life use. Perhaps some manufacturer will take note and develop some version of the ManVan, it would require relatively little development cost having an already competent chassis to work with.
I fully agree! A man can is a great idea, might add better/macho looking front end.2492032C-64F0-4D44-97B0-324B2F4C2FF6.jpeg1BE62401-7857-4380-9DD0-B54229AF8286.jpeg

Last edited:

NCFLY

Just Hatched

Preach!👍🙂

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Works well just as long as it's driven on cement, black top, and very hard packed dirt. Doesn't work very good in Snow, Sand, and a bitch to pedal in a driving rain storm. Just a few sheckles. 14,500 euros. How ever that much is in Dollars.

RCF

Life of the Party
This is one of the best examples of a solution correcting a problem that does not exist. If fact this solution creates more problems/issues than it fixes (which is none). Transportation issues, safety issues, usability issues, stability issues are a few of the problems/issues created AND at a very high price making it worth more than it really is...

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
My daughter had her element (4WD 4 speed) hit and they totaled it this year. Like all hondas, a great car, but the road noise kicks my behind.

Love my E250 2WD. It's fine on everything from freeways to cow trails. If you keep your head outa your butt. Either place.
Plenty of room and you can pick'em up cheap (though less and less) as lease returns with good maintenance histories.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had a 2001 Honda Odyssey AWD for my family and used it a lot when I went fly fishing. Slept in it a lot, smooth and fast ride as well.
Honda Odyssey has never been available w/ AWD but they're still great minivans!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I was talking to an ex coworker after I retired and got the Sienna. I told her I'd given my SUV to my adult daughter and bought a minivan. She exclaimed "You bought a minivan?? You....oh. You bought a giant tackle box."
She's known me for a looong time.

Gotta say, though, actually being a mommy, I'm not really offended when someone calls my trailer-towing, camping Sienna a Mommymobile 😁

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Always thought that if Toyota came out with an AWD Sienna with a factory 3" lift (currently availble after market), suitable tires, a 'hose out' interior, real bumpers, and a choice of either a heavy duty roof rack or 12" raise roof option, they would absolutely nail the outdoor rec market.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Honda Odyssey has never been available w/ AWD but they're still great minivans!
I stand corrected, I got it mixed up with my 1996 Subaru Legacy wagon which was AWD and that was a great fishing car, I also slept
( I am 5’ 6”) in that during fishing trips.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I spent many a night in the back of a '72 Bronco...with a large dog. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A snapshot of recent Element auctions on Bring a Trailer.
Hope you find one.