NFR Hockey 23/24 Season

Non-fishing related

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
They're playing like they want the playoffs badly. I just hope it's not too little
too late.
They are fun to watch.
I hope Dunn isn't too badly hurt.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Kraken gonna need to get on a run these last few weeks if they want to slip into the last playoff spot. Probably need some help along the way.

Divad

Whitefish
Man, Gru just looks slow. Post to post is like watching paint dry. I know this wasn’t completely on him, it’s hard to watch his loses more-so than Joey.

Divad

Whitefish
🤞 this was the last game for Hakstol as a Kraken head coach. He certainly hasn’t solidified anything spectacular to continue as the second longest head coach in the pacific.

Look forward to offseason moves and how we utilize some of the AHL prospects next year.

In the meantime go Canucks, bring a cup to the PNW!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Looks like the Kraken will have a new coach next year.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Part of me really liked Hakstol and how he got the team rolling after a rough inaugural season, part of me saw the team significantly regressing under him this year and will be happy to see a new coach on the bench.

That's BS, Hakstol did a pretty good job here - they should be giving him one more year at least. Francis never gave this team enough scoring threats to compete in the west. they have two 20 goal scorers and they need another D man that can run the PP

they lost a shit ton of OT games as well - in todays NHL you need good special teams and some talent that can put the puck in the net - this is a failure from the GM's position - not the coaching staff

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
That's BS, Hakstol did a pretty good job here - they should be giving him one more year at least. Francis never gave this team enough scoring threats to compete in the west. they have two 20 goal scorers and they need another D man that can run the PP

they lost a shit ton of OT games as well - in todays NHL you need good special teams and some talent that can put the puck in the net - this is a failure from the GM's position - not the coaching staff
That's sort of the age old thing, right? Is it the coach or the front office?

Lots of Canucks were angry when Bruce Boudreau was fired mid season last year, as they blamed the FO and ownership (myself included as a lapsed Canucks fan) for the Canucks bad play. But somehow Rick Tocchet coached essentially the same group of players to the number one playoff seed in their division and the 5th highest game point total in the league.

That's sort of the age old thing, right? Is it the coach or the front office?

Lots of Canucks were angry when Bruce Boudreau was fired mid season last year, as they blamed the FO and ownership (myself included as a lapsed Canucks fan) for the Canucks bad play. But somehow Rick Tocchet coached essentially the same group of players to the number one playoff seed in their division and the 5th highest game point total in the league.
We aren't even close to the talent the Canucks have and a number of other teams in the West - who is our JT Miller, Pettersson, Boeser? The Canucks had five forwards with 20 or more goals, two with over 30.
Yamamoto, Bellemare, Tatar and Dumoulin were not upgrades to our roster - we need a two more top six forwards (one center, one wing) and another D man that can complement Dunn on the PP and give more offense 5 on 5.
I wasn't a Hakstol supporter from the start - funny thing is, I wanted Rick Tocchet as our head coach - but Hakstol took a group of 3rd and 4th liners and put a pretty good culture together to compete and they did. He did a good coaching job with the talent of this club and lack of fire power. I think he deserved one more year - that coaching staff earned it.

Divad

Whitefish
From what I gather a GM gets a couple coaching changes before being put in the crosshairs. Aside from Colorado, pretty sure Hak was the longest running coach in the west. Coaching changes are common.

Personally I believe he lacked tenacity, didn’t argue for players on the ice enough and too laissez-faire.

Look forward to seeing who they hire.