Got any bird pics?

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
We should start seeing more songbirds show up in the coming weeks.

DSC_0776.jpg

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is a long distance photo of an uncommon Common Teal serenely paddling about on the wrong continent. A Eurasian bird, this one apparently took a left turn in Siberia or the Aleutians and then migrated down to the mid-Willamette valley last year. At first glance it appears to be a Green Winged Teal, but the heavy white line under the eye, the lack of a white vertical bar on the edge of the breast, and the white horizontal stripe at the top of the side differentiates this from a greenie. The Eurasian teal is a subspecies of Green Winged.

EA370A91-1AA2-47A0-B4CD-BD467A699A6B.jpeg

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Photo six is a pair of Marbled murrelets near the LeConte glacier. After doing five seasons of MAMU research in WA, seeing them all over the place in SE AK was very refreshing.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I really am enjoying this thread: such great photographs. Yesterday morning my wife and I spotted the first quail brood of the year. Eleven little guys smaller than my thumb running around the garden. Seeing them makes me wish I had a camera capable of capturing their image.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Photo six is a pair of Marbled murrelets near the LeConte glacier. After doing five seasons of MAMU research in WA, seeing them all over the place in SE AK was very refreshing.

Man I would love a job doing some of the stuff you seem to do Adam- what's the role you are training for there- like a ship board naturalist/jack of all trades?

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Man I would love a job doing some of the stuff you seem to do Adam- what's the role you are training for there- like a ship board naturalist/jack of all trades?
Yep! I'm currently a naturalist but I'll hopefully add "Certified Photo Instructor" and Zodiac driver (for staff, not guests as my many years on research vessels apparently don't count towards a USCG license) at some point as well.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No. 6 is a Black Oystercatcher in Endicott Arm.

No. 1 is the unofficial "bird" of Alaska. ;)

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This Blue Heron was shadowing an angler on a Long Boat Key beach a few weeks ago. He was catching small whiting on shrimp in the surf and tossing them to the heron. It was too full to move much so got a good close shot.BZN31270.JPG

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
From today's float:

Red wing blackbird

DSC_0870.jpg

Grey Catbird (I think)

DSC_0887.jpg

Male Yellow Warbler

DSC_0880.jpg
I'm sure you've mentioned this before, but what's your camera setup here? I'm really diggin' the male yellow warbler photo.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Some pictures from a trip to a local park/hiking area
Yellow Breasted Chat
View attachment 15871
View attachment 15872
Cedar WaxwingsView attachment 15873
House finches
View attachment 15874
Barn Swallow
View attachment 15875
Some sort of sparrow that I haven't identified yet

View attachment 15876
Lazuli Bunting
View attachment 15877

what kind of song did that sparrow make? That's always a dead giveaway. At one point in my life I was pretty good at identifying our local birds by their song (to a point where my wife would be like, "how the hell did you hear that!?" as we'd be driving down near Malheur with the windows down as I'd be calling out the names of the birds I was hearing while attempting to describe to her how they sounded. Admittedly I'm waaaay out of practice though.

RichS

Life of the Party
The are so many birds singing there ( the chats are incredibly noisy) that I couldn’t tell if he was saying anything.