Got any bird pics?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
No bird pics involved, but I found this in my yard this evening while doing yard work.
Not really sure where it came from but damn fine craftsmanship with mud, grass, twigs etc.
SF

0B2469F9-4699-4150-9332-3DF6A9C94588.jpeg1CD52AD5-7885-4E25-92CE-6AB417272D84.jpeg

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Maybe a robin's nest? they kinda look like that and they spackle them with mud. They love shady eaves to tuck the nest up into

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Over on Hatteras, Sanderling:

A050BDC8-D445-4874-AFF3-9420057F41E0_1_105_c.jpeg

6CE5D711-C9FA-4B9E-AA25-CDF96452B008_1_105_c.jpeg

Willet:

6F79259D-5B47-4D9F-A8E5-F274AB2F324D_1_105_c.jpeg

This one has me a bit stumped, I'm thinking it's likely a Sanderling, but the coloring has me wondering, the black ring doesn't fit and the bill looks too sharp, but behavior did seem to fit a Sanderling:

EB2E03CE-2FC1-4123-9B54-B0A751432E14_1_105_c.jpeg

Willet about to take flight:

DE408D78-BF9B-4AFE-A8C3-A85E8E1DEBD5_1_105_c.jpeg

Cheers

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Over on Hatteras,
This one has me a bit stumped, I'm thinking it's likely a Sanderling, but the coloring has me wondering, the black ring doesn't fit and the bill looks too sharp, but behavior did seem to fit a Sanderling:

View attachment 27299

Cheers
This is a ruddy turnstone. Red legs, brown back, dark head and breast. Thicker bill than a sanderling.
Steve

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Not a bad picture considering I was just holding my phone up to the eyepiece of my spotting scope.
Wow - that worked! Nice shot.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’m not great at identifying birds.
This one flew up on a tree as I was walking off the beach this morning. This is the best shot I could get with my point and shoot.
Is this a kestrel?
SF

065FA855-5EDB-47D3-8DAF-3E1DF9945349.jpeg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I’m not great at identifying birds.
This one flew up on a tree as I was walking off the beach this morning. This is the best shot I could get with my point and shoot.
Is this a kestrel?
SF

View attachment 27481
Yes, I would call it a kestrel, probably a female, especially with the light brownish-streaked breast and two dark face slashes. In my eyes, a merlin would be a darker brown overall and have less contrast on the face. But, there does appear to be banding on the tail and that is a feature found in a merlin. If the back was brown, that would confirm a kestrel id.
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Yes, I would call it a kestrel, probably a female, especially with the light brownish-streaked breast and two dark face slashes. In my eyes, a merlin would be a darker brown overall and have less contrast on the face. But, there does appear to be banding on the tail and that is a feature found in a merlin. If the back was brown, that would confirm a kestrel id.
Steve
My 2 cents. I trust @Cabezon far more than myself on i'd's, but I am going to lean towards Merlin. Atleast from my local Merlin/Kestrel color phases on the coast.
If a kestrel, has to be an immature with the dull color, and this would be perfect season for it. Merlin tails have a much darker look with thicker banding it seems.
The chest on @Stonedfish bird also has just enough rust in it to look like a Merlin as well.

Nice little falcon we know for sure !

One of my local Merlins in the Fall

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
My 2 cents. I trust @Cabezon far more than myself on i'd's, but I am going to lean towards Merlin. Atleast from my local Merlin/Kestrel color phases on the coast.
If a kestrel, has to be an immature with the dull color, and this would be perfect season for it. Merlin tails have a much darker look with thicker banding it seems.
The chest on @Stonedfish bird also has just enough rust in it to look like a Merlin as well.

Nice little falcon we know for sure !

One of my local Merlins in the Fall
View attachment 27549
As reflected in your pictures, merlins do not have the pronounced dark "mustache" that you see in kestrels. The bird in @Stonedfish's picture appears to have a mustache. That is what tipped the balance for me (and the fact that kestrels are more common.).
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
As reflected in your pictures, merlins do not have the pronounced dark "mustache" that you see in kestrels. The bird in @Stonedfish's picture appears to have a mustache. That is what tipped the balance for me (and the fact that kestrels are more common.).
Steve
(Sorry for the thread hijack)
Excellent points, Steve. Adding a few of the local Merlins over the years. Only the dark merlins have enough color to quality as a moustache.. and even then it is more of whole dark head +a village people/person thick handlebar type : ) I only see a Merlin a few times a year, kestrels darn near daily here.

Bottom: Sometimes you get lucky and get both a merlin and a (female) kestrel on the same perch. Pretty rare treat.

If money is on the line, I am going with @Cabezon every time for identifying anything globally- from the ocean bottom to high-flying stratosphere soaring critters !

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Gyrfalcon, just curious what you mean by Eagle's yearly hiatus, I've noticed the Eagles are harder to find and sorta lazy right now....
@Wadin' Boot -speaking with researcher Dan Varland, Ph.D. from Coastal Raptors, he told me the birds likely head up to BC and hit the early Chinook runs (Fraser river?).

Oddly, with 2 or 3 active Bald eagle nests within about a 6-7 mile radius here, I never see the fledglings or the resident parents this time of year. I chalked it up to the birds maybe heading about 30 miles west to the ocean to feed on seabird colonies or finding easy foraging for the new of year birds.

I only have one or two subadults here right now, and not daily.

Last edited: