Got any bird pics?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I was up in the San Juans around the 4th and managed to capture some nice shots of a pigeon guillemot. Like other alcids, they are hole nesters but can use the infrastructure under docks and WS ferry terminals as pseudo-holes for nest sites.
A04PigeonGuillemot3828.jpg
Here, the bird is scanning below the surface. It is an interesting trick to have eyes that can form sharp images both in water and in air because of the very different refractive indices of water vs. air.
A05PigeonGuillemot3805.jpg

Steve

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kittlitz's, Tufted Puffins, Horned Puffins, an eagle with a salmon, and some other stuff.

Black Legged Kittiwakes and bubble net feeding humpbacks and other stuff.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
This pair of bald eagles patrol the southern end of San Juan Island from Cattle Point to Eagle Point.
A11BaldEaglePair3998.jpg
They are infamous for stealing rabbits that have been captured by red foxes at the South Beach prairie in American Camp.
B04RedFoxSilverMorph3585.jpg
These interactions have been photographed at least twice by the "Foxarazzi".
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Waxwing near the currant bush

Another look at the big female eagle. Males don't have a big beak like she does. Serious crunch power on her.

Below: looks like a true "balding" eagle?

Osprey with Largescale sucker (middle) and a Peamouth in other shots I think

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
that's my old stomping grounds...man do I miss the calls of magpies and currawongs.
Had to look up Currawongs . . . thanks for the education, Boot! Must be Aussie for "Crow" . . . I rather like that version.