Fly fishing without flies. What are we doing?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
This is not intended for you as I don't know you.

But 'miserable to less miserable' kind of sums up the disposition of pretty much every person I know who is way into climate change. They generally look at life through a negative lens and climate change is the perfect issue to dwell on. I kind of feel sorry for them.

Put me in the "Ain't Life Grand" camp.

4qxtA29l_o.png
This comment is in general and not related to climate change..

I agree with your life outlook but it is extremely difficult for me. I grew up as a very happy child but between Jr high and adulthood something happened that makes it extremely hard for me to have a happy outlook on life. Not because thing are bad or negative. I know not many happy people really understand this but the truth is that some people through no fault of their own struggle with happiness.

I can be on the Madison in the middle of a great hatch with fish rising everywhere and still have a negative outlook if I am not constantly on top of my thoughts. Literally constantly, reminding myself how good I have it several times a minute.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
It's much easier to not care and go about your business as if nothing is wrong "here's a snowball/here's a picture of a hatch so there's no problem."

OP said bugs are gone. I called that out as fake news and posted a picture of bugs. Am I wrong?

And as far as being self-centered, aren't we all?

This comment is in general and not related to climate change..

I agree with your life outlook but it is extremely difficult for me. I grew up as a very happy child but between Jr high and adulthood something happened that makes it extremely hard for me to have a happy outlook on life. Not because thing are bad or negative. I know not many happy people really understand this but the truth is that some people through no fault of their own struggle with happiness.

I can be on the Madison in the middle of a great hatch with fish rising everywhere and still have a negative outlook if I am not constantly on top of my thoughts. Literally constantly, reminding myself how good I have it several times a minute.

Hang in there dude.

Oh and congrats on the new job. Hopefully you crush it and make a ton of money. Then you can pay for dinner at the Grizzly Bar when we finally meet up.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
OP said bugs are gone. I called that out as fake news and posted a picture of bugs. Am I wrong?

OP posted an article saying that they were in decline (not gone) within which there was at least one actual peer reviewed and published study to back that up.

All you did was post a picture. A picture doesn't equate a study.

Then again, OP also stated that they didn't read the article, so who knows what their actual purpose for posting it was...

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
OP posted an article saying that they were in decline (not gone) within which there was at least one actual peer reviewed and published study to back that up.

Then again, OP also stated that they didn't read the article, so who knows what their actual purpose for posting it was...
This is where this episode of "online battles of semantics, hyperbole, and rhetorical questions" could really start to escalate. 😂

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
This is not intended for you as I don't know you.

But 'miserable to less miserable' kind of sums up the disposition of pretty much every person I know who is way into climate change. They generally look at life through a negative lens and climate change is the perfect issue to dwell on. I kind of feel sorry for them.

Put me in the "Ain't Life Grand" camp.

4qxtA29l_o.png

There he goes again, just can't help but poke the hornets nest and put down others in the process. Me thinks he doth protest too much... And that wraps up the psych 101 lesson for today ;).

cheers

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is where this episode of "online battles of semantics, hyperbole, and rhetorical questions" could really start to escalate. 😂

Did you see the snowball? It's proven science that snow needs a specific habitat of sub 32 degrees to exist. This is a bigley cold temperature. Therefore using proven science we can deduce that the earth cannot be warming. You saw the snowball right? Don't be a sheeple and look at the snowball.

Seriously though I hope this doesn't come off as conspiracy theory but I firmly believe that there will be major consequences to the broad scale application of pesticides concerning pollinators and insects at the base of the food web. You just can't apply in mass something that kills that broad spectrum and expect no collateral damage. Defoliants will likely have similar consequences as well. It's like nobody can weed a garden anymore. Yeah it's work but at least you're not eating some half life chemical that was taken up into your food plants you're cultivating. I've personally witnessed feeding hay to horses that originated from a treated field. Those horses shit and the area they shit is a desert. That's a chemical still at work after a fair bit of time and processed through one animal. That's some stay power. We are crazy if we think that will have zero undesired effects.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

A picture is worth a thousand words. Did you see the snowball?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Umm, literally the first four words of the OP.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif
keep going....OP: ....or soon will be.

Me: OP posted an article saying they were in decline (not gone)---in reference to the article. :rolleyes:

Of course you gloss over your picture (a moment in time) and attempting to equate it to an actual peer reviewed study....actually, not equate, more like supersede. classic swimmy. edit: guess we'll be waiting quite a while...

Last edited:

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
keep going....OP: ....or soon will be.

Me: OP posted an article saying they were in decline (not gone)---in reference to the article.

As minister of truth, I will encourage our members to be precise with words.

That post has been flagged as disinformation.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Super true! I grew up in NH, and last time I visited, I took my son out on a warm night to see them. None observed, and reports were that few are around. I used to catch many every night when I was little.
Same here. South of Atlanta and later Birmingham, AL. They were sooo thick at night when I was a kid. Take 5min tops to fill up a Mason jar. When I went back a couple years ago, almost nothing.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As minister of truth, I will encourage our members to be precise with words.

That post has been flagged as disinformation.

I thought I was the minister of truth?

cody-

Steelhead
My purpose for posting was null.

My reason for posting was the boredom I was experiencing while mindlessly scrolling on my phone when I probably should have just gone to bed already on a Friday night. 😁

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
As @iveofione might well attest, the complete loss of arthropoda would have no measureable impact on my flyfishing success.

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Or if you could catch a few and schmear their abdomens on a stick you could build up a little dimly glowing torch. And no I don’t feel good about it but it wasn’t anything like what I did to the writhing buckets full of tent caterpillars aka bagworms.
Ahh the tent catapillars. Were you a gasoline guy or an m-80 guy?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Ahh the tent catapillars. Were you a gasoline guy or an m-80 guy?
I had a hard time getting a hold of m-80s but I could get m-60s which were pretty fun but I think we maybe most enjoyed the sheer battery of a whole string of black cats deployed directly into a nest of those caterpillars.